Thread: Talking with my kids...

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar

Talking with my kids...

Hi All,

While I need to discuss this with the wife and I've pretty much decided on this, I wanted to put it out here for comment and discussion.

Nearly all my clothing is women's and has been for a long time. Weekends are usually jeans and a t-shirt or sweater and if we're going out, casual trousers and a polo shirt. Clothing for work is pretty much the same: casual trousers (usually black) and a polo shirt or sweater. If needed, I'll wear a button down shirt. My hair is neck length and has a definite feminine look to it and I'm never without a pair of earrings - usually hoops. The overall look can go either way and I'm as likely to be called 'maam' as I am 'sir'. This is my presentation on a regular basis and I don't really 'dress up' - not that it isn't fun.

My daughters (11 & 7) have not been 'sheltered' from this. For as long as they've been growing up, my daughters have seen me as I am. They even know about daddy's 'crazy underwear.' As far as I can tell, they haven't put 2 + 2 together and figured out that they're women's panties. To them, it's just daddy's crazy underwear.

They do recognize, though, that I'm not like most of the 'other' dads. They seem perfectly fine with it - maybe even a bit proud of it. Each has, however, had friends tell them at some point that their dad 'looks like a girl'. My youngest, who can get quite indignant, tells them 'No he's not!" She sees me as a boy because that's what daddies are. I'm not sure about how my older daughter has reacted. I think she has had a similar reaction - something akin to "well, he's not."

At this point, there may not seem to be much reason to have a conversation with them as there really isn't an issue. What concerns me here is that they're growing up accepting the cisgender ideal as gospel. To them, I'm a boy (man) and not something other than that. While they know that I'm different, I want them to understand how and why I'm different - to understand why someone would think I look like a girl. I want them to know that there is more than 'man' and 'woman' - me. I want them to know me as I know me.

While I feel that both of them are old enough to know this, I feel that my oldest is probably in a better position to process this at this time. As I see it, there's nothing really remarkable that I'm going to tell her but I feel I owe it to her to be honest with her. In a few years I'd have the same discussion with my younger daughter.

I don't have a timeframe on this, but I'm thinking in the next month or so. And while there's no rush, I don't see any reason to wait. I'd rather tell them than wait for them to ask.

So, that's where I am.

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Last edited by Ms. Donna; 01-20-2006 at 07:46 PM.
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

I think this is a good Idea. Childern usually do not have such big issues as adults do with that subject. Also teenager tend to feel ashamed even of their "normal" parents at some point for really no reason. For that matter it is may be even advisable for you to talk now to the older daughter before she hits that age and gets then really confused and upset.
    You might keep in mind that most likely the older daughter will talk to the younger daughter about the subject regardless if you had asked her to not to tell anything to the younger.
    I have a sister and we shared secret informations about our parents all the time.

Have fun talking to your girl(s)!
    Nina
    Last edited by NinaV; 01-21-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Smile

Donna,
    I have told my daughters(13 and 11) about my CDing just this last August. To my suprise neither one of my daughters really cared that I like to wear womens clothes and go out en femme. My youngest daughter thinks that is really cool that her daddy likes to do girly things, she says it is like having a mom and a dad in the same person. My oldest daughter at first was some what confused as to why I like to wear womens clothes but after a day to think about what I had told her and come to the conclusion that it was not really a big deal.

My daughters now have went with my wife and I to my monthly Tri-Ess meetings and they both had a good time meeting my sisters in the Denver Tri-Ess chapter.

Hope this helps you in telling your children.

Hugs
    Kayla Horn