Thread: a somewhat deeper look at the Ginger Mary Ann thing

a somewhat deeper look at the Ginger Mary Ann thing

Firstly thank you to Ginger Jameson for putting up that post. I loved the post and the opportunity to reminisce.
    It did however stay on my mind (couldn't stop thinking about Ginger in her shimmering gown......but I digress) and I got to wondering if there is not a deeper reason for why we chose the characters we did. Ginger is all about glamour and se appeal where as Mary Ann (granted very cute) is portrayed as the wholesome girl net door. Does this resonate with how you perceive/develop/aspire to your female persona?
    Is Mary Ann more of an authentic female figure that sets the foundation for who we want to be, to blend into the crowd and go about her life as an authentic female?
    And then is Ginger the utopic female vision that we may want to aspire to as she stands out, is readily noticed, (an attention seeker if you wish) who embraces the alluring femininity that we may crave but in reality requires a lot of work that most authentic woman do not bother with on a day to day basis. I guess this why I chose Ginger.
    Just a thought over a cup of coffee.
    Any thoughts on this one girls?
    (P.S Sorry about the typo in the heading. It should be "somewhat". I cant edit the banner)
    Luv
    Amanda
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-23-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typo in banner fixed

Ginger and Maryann is a fun game to play, and it never gets tiresome because I go back and forth! Honestly, however, I don't see G/M as archetypes as much as stereotypes. We'd all like to be the combination sexy girl next door, but the reality is that very few (or maybe its just me!) can achieve the perfection of the stereotype portrayed by either.
    Putting the y (chromosome) in girly!

If I were forced to make a choice of one or the other, I would have to pick Maryann. I will never be the glamour goddess Ginger was portrayed as. At my best I would be a Maryann having feelings of Ginger and a night on the town.

Bobbi

I wondered if the Professor was a CD!

I stand by my response in the original thread that I am Gilligan and I am raiding both of their closets. I'm not cross-dressing to become some kind of idealized woman. I'm a guy with too much creative spirit and not enough wardrobe choices.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

In all honesty Amanda, I always felt that Ginger and Mary Ann were two sides of the same coin that I wanted to be like. Mary Ann was the pragmatic down home corn fed beauty whereas Ginger was the glitzy fashion plate, every man's supposed dream. I suppose you might say that my femme persona has elements of both in it's own inimitable way.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Who cares if Mary Ann is "authentic" or Ginger is "Utopian".
    Just tell me how the Professor made a radio from coconuts and why after all that time neither of the girls became pregnant. Are those guys all Gay???
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

The Prof made a VCR out of coconuts Cheryl but it turned out it was a Betamax.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi Amanda,
    I originally chose Mrs. Howell, because I really do like her dress sense! As I said you can't beat pearls and a twin set!
    Love adelaide

I'll trump all of you since I am older ,heavier and like the sea that makes me the skipper lol but I really like mary ann
    phylis

Quote Originally Posted by Emi_ View Post
    I'm a guy with too much creative spirit and not enough wardrobe choices.
    This has to be the best quote I've seen here!

I used to be one of the strictly Maryann followers, but somewhere along the way, have met some really nice, really beautiful women. Which convinced me that Ginger just may have been one as well. As the old saying goes, it's just as easy to fall in love with a beautiful woman as it is a plain one, so why not go for the beautiful? I've been lucky enough to date two women who I consider 10's, and a few 9's. All but one were very nice in general, but only one was very smart as well. She's now married to a very successful pediatrician; I never really had a long term chance with her, she knew what she wanted in a husband, and I wasn't it, I was only good for fun dates.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.