Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing With Flying Colors!

Passing With Flying Colors!

Today my ex brother in law whom I have a wonderful friendship with and I decided to go out and eat. He was in town visiting for the day. We decided to go to subway because we wanted to eat something relatively light and nearby. I dressed in my normal attire of skinny jeans, flats, cute rocker style tshirt, full makeup, and just my normal hair. No wig. My hair has gotten to be an acceptable length for feminine styles so I no longer really use the wigs.

Anywho, my bro in law went first ordering his sandwich and the next employee started with me. The woman said, "What can I get for you ma'am?" Not a moments hesitation. She legitimately believed it! She saw a woman standing in front of her. I mustered as much of my female voice as I could (not all that great at it yet) and ordered my food. She, during the process of making my sandwich, she called me sweetheart when asking what I wanted on the sandwich. Once it was made, she passed it on to the next lady to get rung out and paid for. When she was talking to the cashier, she said..."she's got the chicken club with chips." "SHE". By this time, I was ecstatic. The cashier then asked me, "would you like a drink with that ma'am?" Once again, not a moments hesitation, no awkward look of someone who is trying to play it cool. Just someone treating another individual as a lady. I was in the clouds!

After sitting down, I chatted with my bro in law for a few minutes. When the conversation died down, I looked at him and said, "do you realize how giddy I am right now??" He was like...huh? I explained what happened and he was like "OOHHH!!! So that's why the lady gave me a super funny look when she asked if I was paying for your food too! I was wondering why I was getting a funny look! I bet she thought that you were my girlfriend or something. Way to go! Haha now Im the schmuck for not paying for the ladies food!!" I laughed really hard at that. I was like, "Im sorry!!!!" He said, "No you're not and you know it!!.....and you shouldn't be! They completely saw you as the woman you are!"

On a side note, I was also paying attention to all the 7-8 customers that came in after us. As Im sure all of you can relate, we become hyper aware of the stares, the looks, etc etc. I was hyper aware and NOT ONE person gave me a single extra glance or stare. I was blending 100%!!! It felt great, it felt real, and....it felt normal. Normalcy is something I havent experienced in a very long time. Being 5 months on HRT, I have been in a rather awkward stage in between genders. Now I believe I am coming through on the other side as the true woman I am. This is an exciting time for me right now and I cant wait to see what comes next!!!
    Last edited by Aly Cat; 08-24-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Sounds like a great day to me.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    great story. Congrats. I can see no trace of maleness in your photos, you look great.
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

All the effort pays off, all the pain falls away, and your anticipation grows and grows...and you look wonderful!

The Mad Scientist
    So happy for you

Great story and I'm so happy for you for that great experience. However, as you continue to the other side, be aware that some people just stare for no other reason but to find some minute difference in the 'norm'. Someone's too pretty... they stare, someone's to _______ fill in the blank... they stare.

It took me a while to get the IDC 'tude. Once you have it, the world is yours to enjoy. No go out there and have some more fun....

Renne......

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    It sounds like a corner has been turned! I can just feel the joy leaping from your post! I do hope that feeling stays with you forever!

tina

I think that is SOOOOO sweet of your brother in law. I'm glad it went well for you.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Platinum Member
    Hi Aly, I'm guessing that they all saw a very lovely young lady.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    Great story and I'm so happy for you for that great experience. However, as you continue to the other side, be aware that some people just stare for no other reason but to find some minute difference in the 'norm'. Someone's too pretty... they stare, someone's to _______ fill in the blank... they stare.

It took me a while to get the IDC 'tude. Once you have it, the world is yours to enjoy. No go out there and have some more fun....

Renne......

Im not bothered by the stares anymore. Im not even bothered by the snickers, laughs, pointing, or otherwise. They may see me as a spectacle, but I see myself as a woman and I dont really care what they think. Im still aware of what goes on though. Im still hyper-aware that it all still takes place. I just dont let it bother me anymore. I do love the face that no one even looked at me though. Employees and customers alike thought I was a woman and so that makes me super happy!
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

Congratulations on passing. It's such a wonderful thing to be called "ma'am". So simple, but so nice.

Ya know some of us might not be able to suppress a second glance because you are just plain gorgeous girl!
    Thanks for the wonderful story, I feel like I was there doing something I would love to do if only...
    You are living the dream, don't forget to smell the roses!

Aww thank you hun. I've still got a long long ways to go. It's just nice to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

A great story. Good luck with the future experiences.

hi aly
    way to go
    you are a lovely young woman

Happy for you! To have a brother in law that accepts you and goes out with you is terrific! You go girl!

He really is fantastic. Ive boasted about him in other threads too. He is certainly a part of my support team. I have known him longer than anyone outside of my immediate family. He has been there for well over half my life. I cherish him a great deal. It may not have worked out between my sister and him, but he and i have always been close regardless of my sisters choices. I will always consider him family. He is the only real brother Ive ever had. My other brother in laws have never acted like brothers to me. Ill be happy when he starts calling me sis. He already calls me his brother...or did. Hes working on remembering to call me Aly and use the female pronouns. He asked me to be lenient on him since he has 20 years of habit to break. I guess i can handle that Small price to pay for such a wonderful pillar of support!

More like, flying with passing colors. Now the next time you two get together for lunch, remind your brother-in-law that ladies first.....great thread. Living vicariously,

joni

That's one thing I'm having a hard time with. I have been raised to be the gentleman, opening doors for people, letting others go first, etc. The whole time we hung out, whenever we went anywhere, he was the one going out of his way to open doors for me and treat me like a lady. It felt strange but wonderfully pleasant watching him treat me like a GG. He was raised like I was to be the gentleman so now I just get to enjoy the little things in life that all my years, I've been letting others enjoy.

Cute story Aly...

I don't want to disappoint you, but I'm afraid this is going to become complete normality for you - if it isn't already...

You are a truly, lovely girl... I hope you never get bored with people confirming that!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Gone to live my life
    Hi Aly,

What a great story and a great validation to your journey. It is also heart warming that your brother-in-law is so supportive of you.

Hugs

Isha

Happy happy, joy joy! What a wonderful feeling it must be to feel like you fit in 100%, even when only fleetingly. Your growing femininity and natural good looks means that the 100% feeling will happen more and more. You'll finally reach a point where the guy is gone, and all that remains is woman. Be all the woman that you can be!

Best,
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Cute story Aly...

I don't want to disappoint you, but I'm afraid this is going to become complete normality for you - if it isn't already...

You are a truly, lovely girl... I hope you never get bored with people confirming that!

Katey x
    Hi Katey. I'm sure it will. I have spent the last year and a half posting about my grief and lots of bad experiences. It would be a shame to not spend an equal amount of time posting about the good in people. Especially when I finally get to see it. We always talk about our problems on this site. What goes on with the conflict within us, what others say, and a lot of times it's negative. We just have to remember to balance it out with a little positivity when we get those precious gems. I don't ever want to get used to good experiences. I want them to always be fresh.

That is soooo great Aly. Very happy for you !! Sounds like you have turned the corner and yes, see the light at the end of the tunnel....and the good news is, it is not a train!

Your brother-in-law sounds like a really great person. Good for you that he is along for the ride.

Have a great week!

Hugs,

Erin

Aly,

This is so great -- what a wonderful affirmation of just who you are. I would worry less about passing and more just being yourself and enjoying everything that goes with that. I'll bet that you'll find that it will soon become natural to have folks treat you as the lady that you are. I remember the first time I was ma'am'ed in a grocery store ("Ma'am, this lane is open -- can I help you?") and it took me about 10 seconds to realize that the clerk was talking to me! I'm not transitioning and surely not 100% passable, but I'm treated as a woman when I am dressed and what more could I ask?

Thanks for sharing this -- your excitement shines right through!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club