Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "How tall are you?"

"How tall are you?"

Saturday was a beautiful day, the sun was shining brightly and magnificently, and I was feeling great and looking good.

I was with my buddy and his nine year old son waiting in line for entry into an outdoor festival in my buddy's home town.

The sounds of live music, laughter, and good times being had filled the air, as did the sweet smell and aromas of all sorts of various yummy and delicious foods being sold by vendors galore.

"How tall are you?" asked some random dude who was also waiting in line.

I paused just ever so slightly before smiling at the man.

"I am six foot four," I responded politely.

The man stood there for a second or two, as if seriously contemplating the complex nature and depth of my short but truthful five-word answer.

Proving that he did in fact have a relatively decent grasp on the obvious, he countered back.

"You're tall."

I stood there for a moment, waiting for more. Knowing how height has been an issue that I have allowed myself to be plagued by in the past, my friend was standing back silently, watching in concealed amusement, curious as to what would happen next.

But that's all the dude had. He had nothing else to say.

So I turned away and continued to wait in line.

As the seconds continued to pass by, I thought better of the moment, and turned back to the man.

I smiled playfully.

"How tall are YOU?" I asked him, with heavy emphasis on the word "you."

"I'm six foot one," he responded matter-of-factly.

With a big, genuine, yet slightly devilish but proud grin, I could not help myself.

"You're tall, too," I offered back with all of the innocence I could muster.

The man smiled back at me.

It was a fun, isolated moment in time.

When it passed, we parted ways. My friend, his son, and I walked into the festival together, and the dude walked off to go enjoy his afternoon and do his thing, whatever that may have been.

Yeah, I'm tall.

But so what?

It ain't nothing but a thing, and it's all good . . . .

:-)

I have been working at a high school for nine years, without ever noticing how tall teenage girls are. When I started transition, I knew that at six feet, I was tall, but no giant. It concerned me a little. Now I walk the halls at the school, and notice how many six foot, or taller girls there are. I feel better.

Silver Member
    Anne, I guarantee you that in another 20 years that your height will no longer be as remarkable as it is seen today. You'll still be tall, but there will be far more very tall women than there are today. You'll just be a tall OLD lady!
    Lea

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    You'll just be a tall OLD lady!
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Silver Member
    YOU, Jorga, are a Grande Dame, not an old lady.
    Lea

Old is a matter of definition. I have a sister that is 3 years older and one that is 3 1/2 years younger. My younger sister and I have defined old as however old the older sister is. If we never get as old as she is, then we aren't old!!

A sliding scale!

Hugs, Bria

I get asked that question occasionally. I remember some time ago when I entered the elevator in a skyscraper and just before the doors closed a lovely gentleman entered and we rode up together. He smiled and looked at me and asked: how tall are you. I told him I was 6'2" without heels. He kept smiling and then said: don't ever stop wearing heels, I love heels and you have great legs. With that he stepped out of the elevator, turned, smiled and was gone. I have never seen him again.
    Last edited by Kathryn Martin; 08-26-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Gold Member
    Be you young lady. Be you. That is the true path to happiness in my book.

Platinum Member
    Hi Anne, I think that some people start speaking before their mind catches up.

I'm anywhere between 6'0" & 6'5" depending what heels I'm wearing.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Platinum Member
    I'm 6'2" or a bit more...so almost tall. Last year, in the dressing rooms at Coldwater Creek, a diminutive lady commented on the rather wide legged pants I was trying on by observing that, "if I had legs like yours, I'd show them off. She went on to suggest that I try some skinny jeans or slacks instead. I rather appreciated advice.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 08-26-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Redundancy!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member
    This subject is my down fall. Being 6 6 means I tower in anything a specially a heel. Lots of flats and short wedges but still it's tough subject
    Professional thread killer.

I think tall women look so elegant. I used to be 5'11" back in the 70's when I was young, but I've shrunk to 5'8.5" now. So when I wear 3 inch heels I'm just under 6'. I'd love to be a tall lithe beauty like y'all!
    Namaste
    Live, love, laugh,

Donna

https://www.facebook.com/donna.jbrack

It's true that the young folks are getting taller and this trend has been going on for quite a while. At 5'14" I find myself eye to eye with quite a few women, but few of my own age group!

Ah, well, I guess I'm a trendsetter!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaSWLA View Post
    I'd love to be a tall lithe beauty like y'all!
    Seriously? That just sounds like a throw away nicety comment to me. In one thread you say about blending in and when will the fear of being made go away, yet here you say you almost envy those that are suffering from being too tall and who stand out.
    So what is the truth?

Being someone that has suffered issues with their height and I feel almost bad about that when Gabbi is 6'6, I would say your comment is a little insensitive.
    Well probably not insensitive, rather annoyingly twee! (That's the English definition of Twee).

Aspiring Member
    I'm 5" 5" tall.

Being 71, short and with an almost woman's voice, I don't think that I will stick out in the crowd.

I don't think that Donna is being insensitive Becky. I know that some tall girls find it a problem in their teens, but usually as they get older they appreciate the height. I have two tall daughters (out of five) at 5' 10" and 6', and they are knockouts ( I'm not at all prejudice). I have always liked tall women, so how come my wife is 5' 6", go figure.

Hugs, Bria

Silver Member
    I'm inclined to agree with Becky (though I ascribe only positive motives to Donna). A trans woman later in life who is already dealing with strongly developed masculinized features and cues is not in the same position as a young, developing girl. It's sort of like telling someone who is depressed that you wish you were as thoughtful as they were. Besides, 6 foot six is in another league from 6 feet. There are literally only a small handful of women on the planet of that height. (Sorry Gabbi)
    Lea

6'2" here...

its not insensitive to say you admire somebody's height... I think tall generally speaking looks good on anyone...

that being said, twee is a good word for it because lets face it, our height is our height and all things considered a transwoman with a choice would not take 6'2" over 5'9" unless they enjoy the attention..

6'4" here and I would gladly donate a few inches to anyone that wishes they were tall.....

I love heels but am sick of hitting my head on door frames...

Megan
    I'm outta here...

I'm 6' 3" or 6' 2" depends on time of the day.I wear 2" heels or flats occasionally. My height bothered me some when I first went full-time,but now,not a problem.I am what I am.
    PaulaAnn
    " I'm learning to fly"..............(Tom Petty).

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post

its not insensitive to say you admire somebody's height...
    It can be, depending on the context. I took, and suspect Becky took Donna's response as in response to Gabbi. (I could be wrong, of course.). Given that Gabbi had just expressed having some issues over her height, that's dismissive. As a general response to the OP it would have been fine.

"I have some real problems living a male life."

"Oh, I'd LOVE to be a guy! They are so strong and have such an easy time!"
    Last edited by LeaP; 08-27-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    Lea

i'm a Pacific North West gurl that has lived in a few other places, but i always find my way back.
    i'm 5'11" and i still wear heels up to 5". when i am in heels, i am really tall and i feel a little out of place, but i try to work it to my advantage by being able to control most situations more easily. when you're looking down on the top of the top of someone's head, they are a little more reserved in their comments.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    It can be, depending on the context. I took, and suspect Becky took Donna's response as in response to Gabbi. (I could be wrong, of course.). Given that Gabbi had just expressed having some issues over her height, that's dismissive. As a general response to the OP it would have been fine.
    Lea,
    I was responding to the OP, not Gabbi. When I respond to a previous post that's not the OP, I try to mention that person by name.
    Namaste
    Live, love, laugh,

Donna

https://www.facebook.com/donna.jbrack

Silver Member
    Fair enough.
    Lea

Aspiring Member
    I deal with my hieght but i take no offense here. It r we ally only makes me self aware in public. I have met a few women my height but to be honest i have huge hands and that to me is worse than my height...Oo and trying to find pants
    ..that's a joke
    Professional thread killer.