Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel when you're "out with the boys"?

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar

How do you feel when you're "out with the boys"?

Inside, I'm pretty girlie. But like many on this forum, I have a lot of boy interests...and a lot of male friends to go along with those interests -- absolutely none of them who know or would even suspect that I am TG. This past weekend was spent with four of my good friends in a bit of a throwback weekend (lakeside cabin)...something we do from time to time. Lots of booze, late nights, trash talk, and, invariably, a few manly barbs thrown around with gusto: "Don't be such a girl!" "I'd rather go out with a transvestite!" "Put your big girl panties on!"

I think you get the point. I've got decades of practice deflecting these types of testosterone-fueled remarks. But I always end up being a little embarrassed...sometimes if a barb is directed at me and hits a little close to home, I know I can get a little red-faced.

Do you ever deal with any of this? Aside from the tell-all strategy (which isn't going to happen in my case), how do you deal with and deflect these types of comments?

It would be priceless to see the looks on the faces of my friends if I were to 'fess up. But the blowback would be huge, and it's not an option.

I get pretty stressed leading up to these types of events...I'm careful not to shave a damn thing for weeks/months, etc. It's a shame, because I really enjoy the friendship, camaraderie, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I feel like this constantly. My friends are very much the same way and it frustrates me. Despite many of them knowing it still happens

I can get red-faced too when something really hits a soft spot, but usually I try to throw something extra vile back at them. Boys are competitive!

That being said, I don't start with remarks that are based on gender I only reply in kind. There's not much else you *can* do, unfortunately.

Stephanie, that's usually my strategy as well. But I'm toning down on responding to cd barbs with another cd barb. I think it's somehow being dishonest or betraying the cause when I respond in kind. So I guess I'll try deflecting with an alternate genre of insult, if that makes any sense...

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgette Ross View Post
    "I'd rather go out with a transvestite!"
    What a coincidence....me too! lol

I don't really have any guy friends...i always moved a lot and never really
    got close with any. But it'd be So nice to have friends I could be honest
    and open with.

The guys I have hung out with, though...it wasn't going to ever happen.

Strange thing....many of them were seemingly nice open minded people....
    but get a bunch of them together in a pack and they're completely different.

I wasn't going to fit in. I may as well go home and dress up....lol!

Kate, you're right...it's the pack mentality that's the worst. Individually, probably all my friends are pretty open-minded, and odds say that at least one or two are probably in my camp!

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    It'd be so much fun to see a few dozen CD's together in guy mode
    and hit a few of those manly-man bars.

They'd all be loud talking about heels and dresses and yelling and
    drunkenly calling each other "tranny" this, and "tranny" that,
    while the rest of the bar fell into dumbfounded silence.

I think i'd hang out with Those guys....lol!

Although I can chew cigars, drink and swear like the rest of 'em my preferred company is not a bunch of guys. I'd rather be with a bunch of women any day. They use less energy and accomplish twice as much.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Honestly, though I played the part convincingly, I was never comfortable around groups of guys. I never had many close male friends either. A very select few. When I was with them part of my mind was always thinking they would somehow suss out that I was not really one of them. If the subject of CDs and TG came up, I would always deflect it by remarking that I had seen some that looked so good I would be tempted. This ALWAYS provoked most to agree with me. And it always turned the conversation from one of disparaging CDs and TS to one of more serious appraisal. It was amazing what that small comment did to diffuse the competitive testosterone fueled bravado that had created the offensive barbs. I suspect way, way more males are secretly attracted to "girls" than ever let on ... until someone else opens the door conversationally. Lol
    Of course, what male friends I do have are never the kind to be terribly close minded or bigoted anyway. I have never really hung out with shallow sorts. That does make a difference I am guessing.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Platinum Member
    Hi Bridgette, When I'm with the guys I am as manly as any of the other guys.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

If I am out with a group of guys I am the girl. Just saying.
    I may not be a super model, but it feels so good.

I do not really go out with the guys ever.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Bridgette,

It is funny in a way as most of the guys I still hang with (good friends of any consequence that is) all know about Isha. So when remarks like that pop up from time to time as they are want to do "Don't be such a girl" is a good example there will be a moment or two of awkward silence followed by a simple "Present company excluded dude" For the most part I don't take any notice of the remarks as they are what they are "words". Now if someone was going to start slagging the TG community writ large in a mean way then I would have words.

Hugs

Isha

I don't hang out with guys much. I have only a couple of close male friends and they are not at all the stereotypical beer-swilling sexist boors depicted by the OP.

I prefer to hang out with women, whether GG or trans. I just feel more at home with that crowd.

Count me in the group that would rather be with the girls. I've never been comfortable "going out with the guys".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Hi.

I had to work under quite a few men over the years and none knew as far as i know that i was female , yes i learned thier langauge just never took it on i can talk about many things they do , do thesame work as well hey i was trained ,

remember im a builder by trade so had to work along side the guy,s some were quite lovely and were good mates yet thier were times i walked away because thier talk was about us and what they would do with us in the sexual detail , that was one of the hardest issues i faced, had i said i was female . yea well wont go down that track ,

now, i have men work with me and along side and i can call the tune as im the one in charge , and as a woman the langauge is okay they know what im like and some goes back some 10 years of cause they dont have issues with me and im respected and get on well with them ,

So for myself and how i was first seen and to now is very different could i go out and be okay with men around me yes we do at our week long camps some 250 of us men and women , and really its quite lovely being treated as normal and accepted .

My interacting with men has changed over the last 10 years or so , i have changed dramaticley ,

I cant say i understand why though it could be as iv grown as a woman the dynamics have changed so much .for myself i wont say i understand men i dont yet for all that , its really lovely and nice to be where i am now compared to 46 years ago big difference,

The comment of when with the mates you are as manly as they are , = okay......

So do i have male mates , oh yes for sure,......do i trust them, yes and they have said they would look after me , so there you are,

...noeleena...

I have never liked when the discussion among a group of men turns this way. I feel a bit uncomfortable. Even before I (at least overtly) knew I was TG.

I can play the part pretty good. I can spit and chew, drink beer and moonshine with the best of them. Shoot the biggest deer out of the group every year and no one would be the wiser. The guys that I run with have no clue about Natalie and they never will. I do get tired of the remarks and snide comments after awhile. It is much better to be around their wives sometimes.

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    I too dread the times I must be with the guys. Most of them are nice guys in a one on one meeting, however when more than a few gather then pack mentality kicks in, and I become more uncomfortable. I have always sought the groups of women at gatherings and enjoyed their company instead. I have always felt like this since my earliest years.
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Oh gawd yes.
    I absolutely dread football season, for that reason exactly.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Out of place, I feel the same when I am around a lot of woman, or a mix group, the only time I feel accepted is when I am out dress which is not often a enough.

Bridgette, I have never had guy friends that hang out in bars or the like. Most of my guy friends are from the sport car races or church and civic groups and all are a pretty moderate and polite bunch. Do we sometimes sit around and drink beer> Sure, but the conversation generally doesn't veer into the macho man area.

I guess it just depends on what part of town you came from (no offense intended) as to how men try to prove themselves, or feel the need to try. I think it depends on how comfortable one is with ones self as a man, just as we talk about being comfortable with a fem side of us.

My 2 cents!

Hugs, Bria

I don't say anything at all when such comments are made. But, this reminds me of a movie (Out of Providence) where some blue collar boys are playing cards and somehow start pressing the issue of one of the guys possibly being gay. It starts out with George Wendt saying (paraphrased) that if someone wants to be gay why not he isn't hurting anyone? This leads to the guys ganging up on him, accusing him of being gay.

Luckily, I've never had this kind of pressure from hanging out with the guys, but the possibility of that happening is what prevents me from hanging out with the guys very often.

I just realized last week that if I go to a friend's cottage on the lake my shaved chest, legs and armpits could become exposed for 'the guys' to take notice of. I've been invited and I love swimming etc. but I'll either have to keep my shirt on or stay home.

Bridgette, I think it would be good to ask yourself why you pretend to be someone other than yourself in order to be with with a bunch of people that would harm you, at least emotionally, if they discovered the real you? I know that crossdressers often have low self esteem (I certainly did), but you may be happier overall if you left that group and found kinder friends, or challenged their friendship by revealing your true self.

On a previous job I was brought in to replace a woman in a six woman office. It was WONDERFUL, and likely had a great influence on recognizing my own gender issues. I could talk and relate with the women so much more comfortably than with guys, but that's not the topic of the thread, is it?

You will find wonderful support from the dear ladies on this forum, regardless of your choice.
    Quarterly TG Invasions: TgDetroit.com
    Facebook: MsVal Bralt

I don't have any male friends, and that's essentially for all the reasons you mentioned in your O.P., Bridgette. As a result, wondering how to deal with all those verbal jabs is a non-issue for me.

Yes, I did have male friends when I was younger and I bonded to some degree with work colleagues - you know, for political reasons and "strategic alliances" in order to survive in the cut-throat corporate world, but that was out of necessity and never because it did anything for me personally. Thankfully, I am retired now and can put all that B.S. behind me...

I was never much into "bromances" and all the competitive, testosterone-fuelled trash-talking nonsense which that entailed. Besides, as I got older and more secure in accepting my particular gender orientation, I found less and less need for external validation of the "maleness" that I still inherently possess.