Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The timie you bought your first ????

The timie you bought your first ????

We all started out “borrowing” our sisters and mothers clothes as we grew up struggling with the duality of ourselves. We depart from the designation of youthful curiosity and exploration when a spark inside of us calls out to us louder and louder. I’m speaking of that moment of self identity when you realize that you want your own clothes.

I was 22 and had just started my new job with a hi-tech company in New Jersey. There was a dress shop in town that I walked by each day during my lunch time walks. It was an old fashion kind of place that you don’t see any more locally own and operated.

It was the 80’s, so think “Designing Women” style dresses, (sigh). Well, there were all kinds in the window but one caught my eye, a blue print dress with a belted waist and lace collar. After several days I decide that I had to have it. As it was early October the Halloween excuse was perfect.

It took several days of trying to even go into the store. I have to laugh now like a secret agent I made sure none of my colleagues were out in the area I doubled back a couple of times in front of the store. Finally I opened the door and then a loud bell deliberately announced my arrival. Sheepishly I made my way toward the back of the store and a middle age lady looked over the rim of her glasses appraisingly.

My heart was pounding; my face was red as I stammered out a request for the dress in the window. She was very pleasant and settled me down. She took my measurements, determined I was a size 16, and pulled a similar dress in my size from the rack. She then proceeded to sell me an expensive bra and then girdle along with a pair of my first Hanes Silk Reflections the brand I still wear today.
    Looking back I think she saw right thru me and was an expert saleswoman. I walked back to my car and hid my purchase watchfully as if I had just bought something illegal.

I never wore the dress outside my bedroom. The dress and foundations would be lost in one of the Great Purges of the 80’s. However an important step had been taken in my journey.

I had bought my first dress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have yet to have bought anything in person, but I finally started ordering my own stuff online around a year ago.

I remember even being scared to go pick it up at the post office.
    Just Roll With It

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze_ View Post
    I have yet to have bought anything in person, but I finally started ordering my own stuff online around a year ago.

I remember even being scared to go pick it up at the post office.
    Don't be afraid! Remember these words "They're for me" and you will be amazing how freeing that is!

http://www.femulate.org/search?q=they%27re+for+me

It's embarrassing, but I'm sure ya'll will understand:-) I was 23 and living alone in my first house. As I was leaving a KMart, on impulse, I snatched up a couple of pairs of baby-doll nighties, scurried to the checkout and hustled out of the store as quickly as possible.

20 years later, I began to take it seriously and got quite comfortable scrounging through thrift stores where I could buy anything that looked like it might fit and not break the bank while I learned about sizes and such....I still raid the thrift stores on a regular basis....and am now also able to hit anything that's on sale, anywhere, without blushing.

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Aspiring Member
    Sounds very familiar Paula. I love these threads that take me down memory lane!

Though I did not have the courage to go into a dress shop I too remember being scared to death to buy my first female anything. It was just a simple pair of Leggs Silk Reflections pantyhose, size Q, mahogany in a local department store named Meijers (similar to Walmart). This was before internet, or at least before there was a web site for everything, so I could not investigate what size to buy ahead of time or even what kind to buy and long before those self checkout lines. My only previous experience in wearing pantyhose before this was "borrowing" my sisters Underalls many years before that day.

I remember walking through the ladies section twice, very quickly, to make sure know one I knew was around. Then walking over to the self standing display and picking up a package and examining it trying to figure out which kind would be soft and which might be like sandpaper. Then the size chart! OMG I am off the chart! was my thought, but I determined which size was the largest, Q, and made my way to the front of the store to buy them. I was not about to hang around the ladies department 1 more second! In hind site I probably drew the attention of store security and they were probably keeping an eye on that strange acting guy....but they don't arrest people for buying pantyhose, even if you happen to be a large male

It was quite some time after that before I would buy my first dress and really get back to crossdressing, mostly out of fear of being discovered. Many cloths and outfits later, and knowing all of you are also out there shopping, it no longer has the same feel of criminal activity

Paula, I admire you for your initial courage to go into a dress shop and interact with a sale clerk, especially back in the 80s!

I recall buying a pair of silk panties at Victoria Secret when it carried more high end inventory, perhaps 1984/85. Of course, they were for my, ahem, girlfriend. Still remember they were plain and light blue. I can remember it took my a bout an hour to build up the nerve to enter.

Gosh, it was so long ago I don't remember. I do remember the heart pumping and being very excited when I bought a pair of black patent pumps from a discount shoe store back in the mid 1960s. What a fun memory now.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I think I bought four pairs of panties at Big Lots in college. I remember I was nervous and spent almost an hour in the store waiting for that section of the store to empty out.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    In the late seventies, I would make my way into the city just to peruse all the beautiful lingerie, bras and foundations in the two glass showcases at the entrance of the Dor-ne Corsett Shoppe.

dornesf_Image.jpg

Although the original store is gone the company still remains in business and is gender friendly. I remember trembling as I finally entered the store as a young teenager. The matronly clerks tried to interest me in an elaborately decorated brocade full corset but I purchased a black Bali longline bra. It felt so good to have that magical hug and nice water balloon boobies bouncing as I walked.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Skirt, blouse, belt when I was 20 something. Yes I was terrified even though it was a discount store (TN Maxx) and lost in my only purge a few years later

It was the late 80's and I was a wanna be rocker. So big hair eyeliner and skin tight spandex pants ( I loved the spandex jeans with no pockets and the zipper in the back !)were regular apparel worn by guys in that crowd( thank god for poison, they made it ok for a little while )And I had no problem buys those item. At the rock club the easiest way to tell the guys from the girls was the shoes , we all wore similar stuff but all the guys were in high top sneakers or cowboy boots and the girls wore sky scraper heels. So I guess my point is the first real girl thing I bought that I didn't flaunt to the world was a pair of super sexy white high heel lace up ankle boots. You remember those from the 80's don't you girls ? I loved them ! Wish I still had them today

Aspiring Member
    Hi Folks

I bought my first items of clothing about a year ago. The SO was away for a couple of weeks so it was an opportunity to order online and get them delivered without her knowing. I ordered from Amazon and the first packages – bra, slip, skirts – were delivered when I was out and taken in next door. Horror. Was there a picking list on the outside of the package? Would they open in error? Would I be found out before I had hardly started? Fortunately it turned out OK.

I also had a voucher for a well known UK retailer and about the same time I ordered a lacy top with integral chemise and tights online for delivery at a local branch. Went there a few days later underdressed in bra, full slip and thigh highs, but wearing several layers of outdoor clothing (it was raining and cold).

My goods weren’t at the counter and I had to wait, during which time a GG well-known to me appeared to collect her own packages. We chatted (if only she had known what I was wearing!), and then my stuff appeared, again in a plain wrapper.

Sighs of relief but an exciting start to my CDing.

Vikky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure before dementia

I was about 15 and it was at Christmas time i took the bus across town to a store i had been by many times .I started looking throu the rack of skirts and a nice young lady (but older than me obviously) asked if she could help .Without thinking becuase i had planned this for some time and had worked up the courage told her i was buying for my sister (of course i have no sister ).I walked out with a nice black skirt and white blouse .
    I also wanted a slip but did not have enough money and this was way before debit .My heart did not stop pounding for 2 days i think .The nice thing was my parents went away for a couple of days just after Christmas and my older Bro had a Gf and spent most of his time at her house and was never really home much .So my point is i had a lot of time to dress and that had to be one of my most favorite times for being able to dress because it was the first time i actually had my own clothes
    Last edited by Ally 2112; 09-06-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

I was 19 and living by myself in a different city for a four-month work term. I went into Sears and picked out a bra, panties and camisole. I was so nervous I forgot I had them and left the store without paying. Thankfully, no-one caught me and as soon as I realized what I'd done, I went right back in and paid for the items. I was incredibly nervous.

Now I just go in and buy items without a second thought. I cheerfully make smalltalk with sales associates and checkout people; I really don't care what they think, and mostly they're very friendly because they want to make a sale.

Back in the 80s, Fileens Basement an all in one shaper and hose. I was more of an under dresser initially. Now I've gone to all kinds of stores and buy whatever I want and say it's for me.

I remember buying pantyhose, probably 20yo, at the old Ames here in town! was nervous as a church mouse.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I'd always managed to *get* clothes...and bought stuff for my
    girlfriends since 17 regularly. But it was pretty obvious that
    the stuff wasn't for me (a dress or a nightie here & there) and
    I had no fear at all.

But it took a looong time for me to get the courage to buy my own
    shoes, which I'd always wanted desperately. I was about 26 or so.

I just finally had to have them...whatever it took. I went to
    the mall to payless when they first opened in the morning and
    bought some white 2" pumps. It was very scary because they were
    size 12 and they were obviously for me...lol!

I had a storage unit that I was working out of near that mall and
    wore those shoes doing woodworking every day. I was SO happy with
    my very own shoes!

I wore them out, but it was much easier to buy them the next time
    because I knew how happy they'd made me. I was Much more productive
    for some reason. Heehee!

I first started ordering my own clothes about two years ago. It was a nice black mini dress and a pair of bra and panties to match the dress. I was so scared about getting the package hoping no one else in my house gets to it before me. I'm still trying to expand my wardrobe hopefully I can someday get up enough courage to actually buy something at a store.

I was 18 and home on leave and went to a dept store and bought my first pair of heels. Id like to know how many I've had since

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Good story and LUCKY YOU that the SA was so kind and accomidating.
    My experience that such SA's in stores don't even want to have anything to do with us.
    However, thankfully there are exceptions. What I do nowadays is carry a photo of me dressed in a dress, nice photo, and, as I show it to the SA, say this is me and I'm looking for a bra/skirt, whatever. Some SA's get all bent-out of shape, come completely unglued, and then I just leave, while others may say "I'll be glad to help you" OR "Let me pass you over to another SA who will be more than glad to help you."
    But MOST of the time the sales lady is rude, and then that store NEVER sees a penny of my money.
    I'd like to own a lingerie store, actually.

Do I really remember or have I subconsciously blotted it out of my mind... (It's that latent guilt thing going on again... )

My first purchase didn't come until I'd left my parents' home to go to Uni... and then the wonder of mail order allowed for packages to arrive discreetly - but sadly I had little spare cash... I do recall my first purchase 'in the flesh' was at a local charity/thrift shop when I was about 22... and my first pair of new boots a few years later... (really still have a thing about boots... )

You youngsters don't know how lucky you are with the web and eBay and Amazon... I still get nervous shopping in store, but actually it's quite a pleasant buzz - nothing wrong with that!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

So far, I've only been able to muster up the courage to buy pantyhose. I sooo want to buy a dress or lingerie when I'm out shopping. Been thinking of trying thrift shops, but afraid of the reaction I might get. Now that Halloween is approaching, this may be a good time to pretend I'm purchasing a costume.

For me, it was my first pair of high heels when I was about 18 and in my first year of university (or a "freshman" as they say in " 'merican" ).

Having grown up in Montreal, I went to a local university at the time and commuted by bus every day through a French section of town. And each day, I passed this independently-owned shoe store which had the most amazing heels on display in their window, and over which I would invariably salivate. Montreal - then, as now - was a fashion Mecca populated by some of the most gorgeous and stylish women on the planet, and those shoes reflected that reality.

I saved and saved my hard-earned money from my part-time job and eventually screwed up the courage to get off at the bus stop nearest to that store and purchase the pair that had caught my fancy. Luckily, I already knew my shoe size, having surreptitiously experimented with some of my aunt's clothes (who was exactly my size) when she had come for a family visit from overseas a few weeks before.

Yep, I experienced all of the angst, second thoughts, and assorted other terror that we all feel just before taking that final plunge and heading off into the proverbial lion's den. And in my case, the extra kicker was that I had to conduct my purchase in French, and I was unsure if my language skills were good enough at that point to convey my intentions while not flubbing my "cover story" (What else? - Halloween ).

In the end, the transaction went off without a hitch, the ladies tending the store were most gracious (probably more impressed that an "Anglo" could speak such good French rather than the fact that he likely was a "transvestite", as we were called back in the day), and the shoes ended up fitting perfectly.

But the story doesn't end there. When I hopped into the next bus to continue on home, who do I see sitting in the back but my best friend who was attending the same university, and who had just gotten out of his classes which ended later than mine. I clearly had no choice but to sit next to him, and he did ask at one point what I had in that bag as we chatted, but fortunately, he didn't me press for details after I mumbled a plausible deflecting response.

Reflecting back on that experience, I still wonder to this day what caused me the greater terror back then - walking into that shoe store and making my first purchase of high heels, or unexpectedly running into my friend and facing the distinct risk of being "outed" in public the very same day...

Silver Member
    First time I went into a store to buy a pair of panties by my self I was singled out as a shop lifter by one of the clerks. I was acting weird. That was in the 60s. I left the store empty handed. Did go to another and buy a pair. It was funny because I had been with my mother and sisters when they purchased for themselves and on occasion for me.

I'll never forget the first time I bought my first purchase in femme. It was really late at night at a Walmart but I couldn't have cared less. It was exhilarating. I bought a bra, a belt, and I think a few basic tees. I loved every moment of it! The best part was being completely checked out by a guy. THAT was a huge achievement- along with using the ladies room for the first time in public!
    Done crying.