Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do if there were no social barriers?

I am sure I would dress and go out much more frequently than I do now. It would be wonderful!!

First I would wear skirts to work. Then all over. I would love to just be the person I was meant to be.

No social barriers? How liberating. I would wear skirts to work on a daily basis, I am just so much more comfortable in a skirt. I feel like I am really me wearing female clothes, and if society was totally accepting the whole which bathroom thing would go away. We would use the men's room without any thought. I do not think it would change the appeal of cross dressing, at least not for me. How liberating.
    Hugs
    Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Banned Read only
    Sun Dresses, backless.

Im sure I would dress up more like my bra and forms and definitely panties , pantyhose and a skirt :-)

Full on girl mode....heels, hose, skirts and all the works!!!

I think if there was no negative scrutiny, I would dress as a female every day. It would be wonderful to explore life without predjudices.

If there were no social barriers we would have anarchy! I don't think that any of us could really live that way.

In the real world, I have breached a social barrier. I wear dresses and makeup and go out as a woman. All that did was make me subject to the social barriers that women respect and theirs are a lot more difficult to interpret than those of males.

Males have it pretty easy. We have uniforms that we wear for various activities. Wear the uniform and you're fine no matter your age, build, etc.

Women don't have uniforms, and in fact it is a social faux pax if you show up dressed the same as another woman. However, within that perceived freedom is another, more complex set of rules that change depending upon age, build, and event. I'm going to a dinner tonight at a nice restaurant. I'm wearing a pretty maxidress which is a fairly safe choice. If I were twentysomething I might be considering a sexy bandage dress, but as a fiftysomething it would be inappropriate. Same with hair, I had my hairdresser give me some waves but a "country music awards" 'do would not work.

Now, I do bend the rules when it is a CDing event. CDers understand each other's desire to enjoy parts of our lives that we might have missed out on so the hemlines can come up, the wild leggings can appear, and we have a great time. That doesn't play in the mainstream, though!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

From the perspective of one who does not go out dressed, then if the social barriers that judge who you are by what you look like, i.e. men don't wear clothes normally associated with women, were dropped, then definitely:

I'd indulge in being able to present myself in a prettier fashion I'd enjoy polished nails and wearing make-up.

I'd definitely wear my hair differently

My wardrobe would expand greatly to include dresses and skirts as well as trousers. Shoes for show as well as comfort.

Probably adopt a far more androgynous look overall.

But would I still want to present myself as a woman rather than as a male who enjoys woman's clothing?

When I dress, I nearly always include breast forms and a bra, but I don't think I'd normally choose to wear such items as a man even if dress barriers were dropped.

But would I still like to wear them in private? Would the dropping of barriers and ability to wear what I liked reduce or remove my desire to fully transform my appearance? Or would there be 2 versions of me - one male in "female" dress and one presenting as a woman?

Sometimes simple questions produce complicated answers !!!

Definitely Full Time Girl Mode.....

For me some of the excitement of CDing in public is going against social norms so unlike what others have said without social barriers maybe I wouldnt do it ?
    If you removed all judgement of people based on their clothes (rich, poor, sex, age etc) wouldn't we all just wear what is the most comfortable and practical unisex clothes all the time.
    Talisker because i like the taste and dont need another name or personality but needed some letters (numbers arent allowed on here). Found out later its a rare mans name on a small scottish island.

Sexually attracted to things with human female characteristics - Talisker, GGs, CDs, cheetara etc.
    Male things can be useful a CD accessory and for drinks or currys, directions and lifting stuff.

Oh well what an idea. I've just moved house and decided it was time to take 'risks' lets say. When home I only wear what is expected of female attire. I went outside the other day and simply hung the washing out and later bought it in dressed. So if no social barriers this is me full time. How good would it be then to go to work dressed (sadly not likely)

I love to wear short mini skirts&silk blouse&beige pantyhose&heels

It would be nice to be able to shop freely without any negative experiences or judgment from store clerks. Some store personnel are helpful, but it would be a lot easier without the social barriers.

I would still want to present as 100 percent woman and look the part.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Skirts, stockings (not pantyhose), colorful silky blouses, wigs, more jewellery and accessories, a clutch purse, light makeup, and any perfume I desired.

OMG isn't this the dream??

First of all - acceptance and tolerance from all. Well come on now, how good does that sound!!!
    To be able to just dress as I want, when I want, wherever I want is just a taste of heaven!

To have my family friends know, and still love and accept me as I am (however I might be presenting) is the dream.
    And to be able to walk past every stranger on the street or in town and to have nobody even think "OMFG a tranny", and instead think "Damn, nice dress" or "Oh, you're presenting as a female today, [your male name]".

Isn't this kind of tolerance and acceptance what everybody dreams of? CD or not, it could be because you have brown skin, because you pray to the 'wrong' god, because you are sexually attracted to the same sex as you.
    It could be because you don't have a lot of money, because you aren't as pretty as others, or any number of reasons that a person may be unkind or even straight up bigoted towards you.
    It's still the dream isn't it?

If I felt like it I could just stroll to the shops to get some milk in some leggings and a nice top (face and hair in check obv.), and never have to worry about it, then that may just be the finest version of earth you ever suggested to me.

I could hit the shops and actually try clothes on - ZERO guess work involved. (This would probably land me in a HEAP of debt)
    I could go and get my makeup done at makeup counters. Or even get my skin tone selected on one of those analysers in Boots (This would add to the debt)
    Before my time off work, I'd get my nails done properly, get my eyebrows shaped, hell - pierce my ears! (There's that debt again - LOL)
    Everywhere would get shaved, even the places that are typically male like forearms. Because if there's no social unrest over presentation, then nobody will care if my guy arms are bald.
    Just simple things like go for a drive to somewhere I don't know, or even that I do know, and get out and walk without worry.
    Going to restaurants, meeting other CDs for a few pints with no issue of getting out heads kicked in.
    I would become a master of walking in heels, I really mean that. Heels would become my shoe of choice for anything that didn't involve manual work, mud or running. (Oh, Mr Debt, I didn't mention you for a few lines, how are you?)

Now I'm sad, because the world isn't this way and I still haven't won the lottery.
    Samantha -x-

I would definitely dress 24/7. hat would be an ideal world
    jennigrace

Aspiring Member
    Recently I did break a social barrier for myself. I got dressed appropriatley for my age (61) and went to a nearby liberal town to shop. My hair is thinning but I didn't care. I simply wore my girl sneakers, women's jeans, and a somewhat feminie lime green top and diamond studs in my ears and walked into a Walmart. I did this in the morning and there were not many people there. I casually browsed all of the women's clothing and picked out a couple nice tops and a new white camisole bra and a 5-pack of multi-color panties. The girl at the checkout smiled and was really nice. This is in a gay-friendly town so I'll bet she's seen some of us before. As a matter of fact I know others who have shopped in this mall. No paranoia here!

Cheryl

Would be wonderful. Not sure what I'd do per se, but I doubt I'd have any more men's underwear.

I think I would dress all the time and most likely it wouldn't take long until my male identity eventually would vanish and turn into a memory.
    For a start I would alter my apperance (eye brows, body hair, hairstile, ...) to a look what society considers female, but I'm starting to do this anyway so no big difference in this point. What would make the bigest difference for me is that there wouldn't be any reason to hide and wear a mask everyday anymore