Thread: Out to the museum and shopping

Out to the museum and shopping

Today was a first for me! Weekly I go to Hamburger Mary's for a girls nite out, but I've never gone any other place.

Sooooooo, there is a Native American Art exhibit at the Nelson-Atkin Museum in Kansas City and I decided to go as Bria. I got all dolled up and drove to the museum, well about four blocks from the museum for a parking spot. I wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to get out of the car, walk to the museum and actually go inside, but I did it! On the way up to the entrance I had to walk past a group of school age kids and some adults. Not a thing happened other than I walked past them, no reactions! Inside the museum I had to interact with a lady selling tickets, had to give her a name, phone number and a zip code, again no reaction. Went though the exhibit at times standing right next to other people, no reactions, or at least I didn't see any as I was busy looking at the exhibits. Or maybe the museum made them leave their pitchforks and torches at the door!!

On the way home from the museum I stopped at Target to look for a black bra. I went into the Starbucks for a cup of coffee before I did any shopping and sat down in the corner facing the whole area for an Isha experiment. The Starbucks wasn't very busy and I was the only one seated at a table as a number of there people came in, got coffee and left. Two couples came in and ordered, while they were waiting one of the guys looked at me and turned a said something to the other guy who then glanced at me. Did they make me? I don't know, they said nothing that I could hear and they didn't look again or stare. A mom came in with four teenage girls and I thought that the jig was up, but none of them even seemed to see me, what a disappointment!!

After I finished my coffee I went shopping, didn't find a bra, but I bought a bracelet and a lady's wrist watch (they were on sale). None of the other shoppers gave any adverse reaction nor did the teen girl at the cash register. Maybe I'm invisible. Well, at 6' 3" and 225 pounds I'm pretty sure that I'm not invisible, nor would I pass close scrutiny.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, because I haven't figured out how to reduce pictures to the size for posting here (computer challenged). Anyway, much like an Isha experiment, other people are busy with their lives and don't notice or don't care.

I had an interesting day!!!

Hugs, Bria

Sounds like a fun day, I have always said that museums are the best places to go to for a first time out in femme.

Lisa

What a nice day for you, Bria...

You have some great museums and exhibitions in the US - I am truly envious...

Now I suspect this is just the start of many more outings for you.. so enjoy them all!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Hi Bria,

What a great first step! Yes, museums are wonderful places for a female outing -- I think especially art museums. I find that I spend more time enjoying the emotional and "inner" aspects of art when en femme. As to nobody noticing, yes folks are largely into their own thing, but I'd like to think that they noticed and just accepted you as another lady -- or at least someone who is comfortable in how they are presenting. As I get out more and more I'm more likely to start a conversation with other women -- and reactions to a work of art are a great way to start. (Even if the voice they hear might not be as femme as they expect...) It has just become more natural for me -- as I'm sure it will for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Gone to live my life
    Hi Bria and CONGRATS on such a great step out into the Vanilla world. I am glad you got a chance to conduct your own social science experiment and find that while we may get read some of the time, most people are so busy with their own lives that they don't always process the whole picture. Nothing like a great cup of coffee and people watching to end the day.

Hugs

Isha

I wanted to go on an outing to a museum once. There was a line of kids on a field trip at the entrance. The museum did not open to the public for 30 more minutes. I had to turn around and walk past the kids again. The next time I drove to the museum, there were two or three school busses parking. I went to the mall instead.

When I was a teenager, about 25 years ago (1988), two crossdressers would shop (infrequently) in the grocery store where I worked. One looked like an old man in a dress. The other tried hard to pass. However, I think that #2's clothes were not age appropriate. They would come in and shop and then leave. I think we all noticed and knew, but we never revealed it to them that I am aware of. We were never trained concerning alternative people, etc. I guess it is just common courtesy to treat CD's like ladies. Only on one occasion, a female customer laughed out loud after the two left the store and then a lot of people laughed. #2 always wore such pretty pantyhose. I was jealous of his freedom to wear them openly. I sometimes I yearned to go up and ask what brand they were.

I wonder what happens now when I leave a store all dressed up??

Great outing and nice post describing your day