Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we put GG's on a pedestal?

Why do we put GG's on a pedestal?

After reading Danielle's rant, she brought up an interesting point. A lot of people here put GG's on a pedestal. I have read a lot of things along the lines of

1. A TS or CD can never be as pretty as or prettier than a GG.

2. A TS or CD can never be as feminine or more feminine than a GG.

3. A TS or CD can never be as sensitive or more sensitive than a GG.

4. A thread was once started by a GG asking why are CDers often prettier than GG's. Someone, a CDer, replied by saying that if that thread had been started by a CDer instead, everyone would have stomped on him.

When I read some of these kind of statements, I find them to be very transphobic.

So my questions for everyone.

1. Why do we put GG's on a pedestal here?

2. How do you think that TSes who suffer with serious gender issues might feel when you tell them that they can never be as pretty as a GG, or can never be as feminine or sensitive as a GG? Like being TS we go through enough being discriminated against by society and suffering for decades with being in the wrong body, and being told to "man up"? Society tells us enough that we're second class to GG's. Do we in the trans community really need to perpetuate this idea that TSes are inferior to GG's?

3. Who gives anyone the authority to declare one group of people superior to another?
    Last edited by Michelle789; 09-18-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Corrected thread references
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Some TSs are prettier than some GGs.
    Some TSs act more feminine than some GGs.
    Some TSs are more sensitive than some GGs.

If people talk more about the opposite on this site, it's probably because the moderators and many of the members like having GGs posting here, and believe that the environment will be more welcoming to GGs if they feel valued rather than threatened.

You're right to point out that the group should probably be at least as concerned with TS feelings as with GG feelings, but I can see why the moderators encourage a culture which treats GGs with warmth and affection.

I think it's quite simple, really. We want to be, emulate, or at the very least dress like GGs. Many of us also seek their understanding and approval. Why wouldn't we idolize them?
    Last edited by Gretchen_To_Be; 09-18-2014 at 01:19 PM.

You know this about GGs being put on a pedestal has come up a few times, and all the replies from GGS were please don't put me on this pedestal. I'm no different than anyone else and do not want to be put up there.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Banned Read only
    I think there are several reasons for this:
    - Women are insecure about their bodies & gender role, modern media spends billions to insure it. Talking about pretty feminine TG ladies is bound to increase that insecurity for some GGs.

- There is a natural tendency for CDs / TGs with GG SOs to want to preserve those relationships. Given the ambivalence with which even accepting GGs often feel about their SOs gender variance, not making waves is kind of a good idea, at least from the perspective of a CD in a relationship!

- Male attitudes about protecting the weaker sex are alive and well here. Were I a GG, such condescension would anger me. I think this is a big one.

- The support for partners of a trans* person are basically non-existent. A certain amount of slack for women expressing some pretty raw feelings is probably warranted.

I don't want to be treated any differently either, never have.

although I am treated differently here.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 09-18-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by JessM. View Post
    ..., it's probably because the moderators ... like having GGs posting here, and believe that the environment will be more welcoming to GGs if they feel valued rather than threatened.

... but I can see why the moderators encourage a culture which treats GGs with warmth and affection.
    The moderators do not create the environment, that is done by the members, the moderators keep things running smoothly and welcome all members no matter their gender. GGs are no more or no less valued than any other member. Moderators encourage a culture which treats all members alike, no-one group is favoured above another.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    After reading Isha's and Danielle's rants, Danielle brought up an interesting point. A lot of people here put GG's on a pedestal. I have read a lot of things along the lines of
    So my questions for everyone.
    2. How do you think that TSes who suffer with serious gender issues might feel when you tell them that they can never be as pretty as a GG, or can never be as feminine or sensitive as a GG? Like being TS we go through enough being discriminated against by society and suffering for decades with being in the wrong body, and being told to "man up"? Society tells us enough that we're second class to GG's. Do we in the trans community really need to perpetuate this idea that TSes are inferior to GG's?
    3. Who gives anyone the authority to declare one group of people superior to another?

1. Im not sure about a pedestal but bash them too much and they may stop coming back.
    2. No idea how the TSes feel but harsh reality is that the more testosterone you have had in you body the less you will look like a GG. Some may not like that fact but not liking it doesn't change it. Thats why the younger the better if you are going to switch.
    3. As you know only the almighty Xenu can do that.
    Talisker because i like the taste and dont need another name or personality but needed some letters (numbers arent allowed on here). Found out later its a rare mans name on a small scottish island.

Sexually attracted to things with human female characteristics - Talisker, GGs, CDs, cheetara etc.
    Male things can be useful a CD accessory and for drinks or currys, directions and lifting stuff.

I am not in the "put them on a pedestal" Camp. For those that post here, I may go a bit overboard in praise, but more just to let them know that I truly appreciate that they are on this form and take the time to participate in the various discussions. They certainly don't have to do that, so I respect them for that. Am I envious of some women for they way the look...ABSOLUTELY! But I may not know anything about them, have no idea what type of person they are, just that they look great. No pedestal there.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    Someone who is born female is special. She has the ability to give birth

Sadly, that is something most of us here will never be able to do
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Quote Originally Posted by susan jackson View Post
    Someone who is born female is special. She has the ability to give birth
    Well yes but only if there is a man around as well........ glad I got the hunting role regarding births.
    Talisker because i like the taste and dont need another name or personality but needed some letters (numbers arent allowed on here). Found out later its a rare mans name on a small scottish island.

Sexually attracted to things with human female characteristics - Talisker, GGs, CDs, cheetara etc.
    Male things can be useful a CD accessory and for drinks or currys, directions and lifting stuff.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    It's not really a pedestal that I place GGs on. But I adore them, I want to be around them, I want to look like them...and I think the world would be a better place if GGs ran it.

I don't put GG's on a pedestal per se, just appreciate them for who they are and give them credit for what they deal with day in and day out as women. They can accomplish a lot of positive things with far less than many of us can. That's just the way I see it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    The moderators do not create the environment, that is done by the members.
    Fair enough. I rephrase:

I think many of the members like having GGs posting here, and believe that the environment is more welcoming to GGs if they feel valued rather than devalued. You're right to point out that the group should probably be at least as concerned with TS feelings as with GG feelings.

I have slowly come to realize, that there are attributes GG's possess, that i want to emulate, but, lately, i have found there are some attributes of GG's I do not at all want to emulate! I have certainly, for decades put GG's on high pedestals , almost idolizing and worshiping them. Reality hit, and i was disillusioned to find out that GG's are human, too, strengths, and weaknesses, and blind spots, too. A wise old sage has addressed putting people on a pedestal. He calls it the "wobbly throne". Falling off, is a big disappointment for us and them.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 09-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by JessM. View Post
    You're right to point out that the group should probably be at least as concerned with TS feelings as with GG feelings.
    I'd just be happy if people would just stop tacking the following on to their posts:

"Your relationship CAN survive this! Unless you are TS, in that case you shouldn't expect your wife to stay around." We know we are undesirable partners, from the perspective of many people.

Genderfluid Swiftie DanielleLee's Avatar
    I suppose in fairness, since one of the rants was mine, I should chime in with my two cents. I think as males... we have a natural tendency to be fixers. We often think that by saying the things we think that women want to hear... we can make things better, when in all honestly....a simple "Thank you, I appreciate you" or "I hear you and what you're saying is important" is the two most important things we can do for our spouses.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    GGs know, do, and live everything we espouse. It's not a question of pedestal but of mentor and exemplar. That makes them pretty important to us!

Gone to live my life
    Hi all,

I just want to go on record that my rant had nothing to do with GGs pedestal or no pedestal.

However, placing someone on a pedestal . . . never a good thing as when you find your idea does not match reality well it is a big let down. That doesn't matter whether it is a GG, GM, TS, CD or a German Shepherd (I like Rin Tin Tin for the record).

I respect the GGs who post here and take the time to bring their perspective to the forum but then I again I respect anyone who posts here (so long as they play nice that is ) and adds to the greater body of experience. I love my wife but I don't put her on a pedestal as she doesn't want or need it anymore than I as a guy would want to be on one. We are all human and humans are flawed so I tend to leave pedestals alone.

Hugs

Isha

I have never placed women on a pedestal and it would seem odd to do so. Not placing women on a pedestal is one of the ways I knew I was different from men and this added to many other differences continued to confirm that my brain and the mind that resides in it would never identify with men as a man.

I have always related to women as a woman even when I did not realize this was what I was doing. I was doing what felt natural and it has always been effortless.

It does'nt surprise me that men who crossdress place women on a pedestal because thats what many men do and I'm inclined to say that this is particularly true for crossdressers. It is a mixture of their sexuality and their adoration drapped over their bodies and reflected in the mirror.

From my perspective crossdressers are clearly men and what is really interesting is how many are, separate from the crossdressing, extremely masculine.

I have never adored women. I have never idolized them and often I don't much like them but I certainly have always identified "with them" and as "one of them", for better or worse.

Women are just women. There is nothing particularly special about them as a gender but it is useful that men think otherwise.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

I certainly don't put GGs on a pedestal. It's a wonder I like them at all. But I hope they continue to contribute here because it's refreshing to hear their side of the story compared to the BS we CDs say about ourselves.

I'll admit it--I have put GGs on a pedestal, and I do greatly admire many women. However, I have come to understand that my idealization of anyone is a direct reflection of my own self-esteem. So, when I am down on myself for the aspects of my being (looks, body, boring clothes, societal expectations, etc.) then I am more likely to idealize (I suppose it is envy) those who have/are what I don't/am not. We're all people. We're all special in our uniqueness. Nancy

Because a girl usually becomes your best friend.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    I think it is much more of a CD issue then a TS issue.

I'm not in competition with anyone - TS, CD, GG (unless there is a guy involved

Banned Read only
    I've been around long enough to experience in my own relationships, business and personal, there are many GG's who are a disgrace to the human race, let alone the female side of the equation. If there is something akin to an acceptance meter I'd say I have female relatives who range from 0% to 100%. When I am at the mall or other places where I may encounter females who look attractive, and, in my mind they may be a woman I would want to at least appear as, I really don't know much about them. I've tried to engage some of the most attractive females, and for that matter handsome men, in conversation. Well, yuck! I would not want to be him or her or married to him or her.

I remember one instance in college when a very attractive, sexy and seductive young woman, would not date a young man unless he had a car. I wonder what she looks like now?

I think that your first three points are false generalizations. There are a great many CD/"T-girls" that prettier, more feminine, and more sensitive than many genetic women.

I am not sure that we put women on a pedestal but, rather, we admire many qualities about them and try to emulate those qualities as best we can. Unfortunately, much of society" puts down people who are not like them (think race, sexual orientation, religion). Fortunately, education can help reduce these prejudices.
    Hugs, Carole