Thread: Bathrooms in the UK

Bathrooms in the UK

This isn't some kind of Sex Pistols remix :-)

I'm hoping to travel back home in December, and Joanne will be making her debut on the streets of the homeland! Can any of the readers here advise on the situation with using the facilities, so to speak?
    Knowing yourself is so much more, Take one step forward and you open up the door. T'pau - Secret Garden.

Check out my blog - You Can't Do That With People

I have always used the unisex or disabled toilets and bathrooms in the UK.
    In shopping centres where there may be children present I usually call it a no go zone.

Places like the Way Out Club in London and other night clubs are fair game and usually I have company when attending.
    The social interaction by some women when in these places is surprising, I have been asked many times why I do it and also given help in making myself look more presentable. Watch out they might hit on you too.
    I just make sure I do not get caught short
    I have seen a couple of venues that have signs indicating that transgendered people can use the facilities.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Miss Joanne, Firstly this answer is based on no legal knowledge at all, as Beverly says use the disabled if possible but if it isn't possible or practical, the situation as far as I am aware is if you present as female and use the ladies and someone complains (that there is a man in the ladies toilets, the police can be called) then you can be arrested and charged with breach of the peace, but if you present as female and because you are male and use the male toilets and someone complains, for example then you can be arrested and charged with soliciting.
    That is the situation as far as I am aware, but like any situation assess the impact on others first, I have used the ladies on many occasions and never had any problems as long as you are well presented and polite.
    Have a nice trip, hope you enjoy it, love and hugs Sarah xxx

Hi Joanne...

There are no specific laws governing the use of public toilets although there is legislation governing their provision (in England & Wales - Scotland has separate legislation but is similar).
    A public toilet is a public space here - the nomination of ladies and gents is a recommendation only, there is nothing preventing either gender using either facility. There are no laws about it because we don't legislate for everything here - only for issues that are absolutely necessary. Sarah is right in that you could only be charged with public order offences but it is highly unlikely the police would be called unless you were misbehaving in some way... I'm sure that's not the case...

All the usual laws apply about what you can and cannot do in a public space but it is not a 'women only' or 'men only' defined area - it is a public space, just indoors and with special plumbing. Keep your passport with you at all times - a swift wave of a US passport at a UK copper will deter anything but serious charges: the paperwork just won't be worth it...

With private facilities it would be sensible to ask if it's a busy facility - other than that, good luck in finding a public convenience conveniently open..

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I am in the uk three times a year , I find washrooms especially in London usually are very busy there always seems to be a line up at the ladies in department stores and coffee shops often only have one , I go when I find one wether I need to or not even as Bob,
    The only caution would be if children are using them which applies everywhere , parents may cause problems

You are more likely to be ridiculed for referring to the "bathroom" or "washroom" or "restroom" when you mean "lavatory" or "toilet" than you are for using the "wrong" one! I recently heard someone on a busy train asking which way to the bathroom and everyone laughed at the idea that a train might have a bathroom.

As others have said, in Britain we are not talking about a legal situation but one of social norms and expectations. If you look like a woman, use the women's toilets. However, a man using women's toilets, however dressed, and misbehaving there would be asking for trouble.

Elegance Personified katie elouise's Avatar
    When I go out en-femme which is on a fairly regular basis I try to dress appropriate to the occasion / destination ,I always try my best to be well turned out and as passable as is possible , I don't think it matters if you are in a shopping centre for a dress or super market for groceries or a department store ,when I need the toilet I always use the ladies .
    I feel that if you carry yourself well with good posture ,and have a good walk in heels ,and smile you would be very unlikely to encounter any problems , I have never had any issues personally . To be perfectly honest your biggest problem in the UK is finding a public convenience that is open. As far as I know its not illegal to look like a woman and pee like one , well at least not yet . Katie x.