Thread: Walk a Mile

Walk a Mile

Has anyone done the "walk a Mile in Her Shoes"
    event ?

Jean.Ann

Aspiring Member
    I have not.....but if I did, would it still be walk a mile in her shoes if they were MY shoes??!!!

I have not walked in the event, but I work for the non-profit organization that holds Walk A Mile in Her Shoes in Sacramento, CA. Additionally, I work in the department responsible for community events, thus I am directly involved with planning and executing Walk A Mile and present at the event all day. What would you like to know?

I have walked a mike and a half on the treadmill wearing 5" stelletos , dose that count ? Lol

I have. For 5 years running. Great cause and fun. But NOT I repaet NOT a cd event. Leave that at home.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Silver Member
    Natasha, I know what you are driving at and I think CDing there could really be interpreted poorly. I have seen some photos of guys doing it in a dress but not in a cding kind of way. Good advice.

That answers my question.
    I am sure it is for a great cause
    But would probably not feel comfortable doing it

Jean Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Jean. Ann View Post
    That answers my question.
    I am sure it is for a great cause
    But would probably not feel comfortable doing it

Jean Ann
    Huh? You wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the street in a pair of heels with 50 to who knows how many men? Why's that? Seriously. Your trans won't be showing. Your with a whole group that is doing the same thing. It's only a mile. For a great cause. So why wouldn't you feel comfortable doing it? Geez. I've posted pictures of myself doing it. Heck I've gone so far as to let the highest donor pick the pair of heels I would wear. I posted pictures of them on FB.

Cheers.

I am also confused by the OP not being comfortable participating in Walk A Mile. You are not going to out yourself if that is a concern.

It can be great fun and a way to raise money for a good cause. Last year there were 600+ registered to walk at the Sacramento event and we are aiming higher for 2015. Some teams and individuals wore costumes around a theme (my favorite were the cows). A few individuals wore dresses or tried to dress like a stereotypical woman. For the most part, no one really cared, but the common comment from those inside the organization was "those guys just don't get it". Most Walk A Mile events are designed for men to visibly stand up and support a specific women's cause (in our case, domestic violence and sexual assault since we are the primary agency in the area and a non-profit (WEAVE Inc.)), and the event is the largest fund raiser for us (over $200k in 2014). Making it a reason or excuse to publicly cross dress misses the purpose and reason for the event - it is not Halloween. Not doing it because it is generally not a place to cross dress also misses the point. Transmen are welcome to walk so it is not about being anti-transgender. It is about respecting the spirit behind the event.

Participate and raise some money for a great cause. In our case, you can keep the high heels supplied to you if you want. Bonus!
    Last edited by Melissa Rose; 10-01-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Fixed a bad sentence

I have participated every year it has been held locally. Fantastic cause and one I firmly believe in. Lots of fun and silliness to bring funding/attention to a serious cause.

Let me get his straight you walk a mile in high heels and you get to keep the heels. Interesting although I don't know if I could walk a mile in heels but might try for a good cause such as this. Is this the only walk or is there others in other parts of the country?

Jaylyn.

Here is the web site for the national organization. There, there is calendar of events. Look through it and see if anything is close.

http://www.walkamileinhershoes.org

Cheers!

There is not a set format that every Walk A Mile event follows. The organization holding the event has a lot of say over it. For the Sacramento event, it costs $40 to register to walk, but you get a lot of really good free stuff and you can keep the shoes if you like. I cannot speak for the other events and about their shoe policy. We get more than half of the shoes back each year. We get a lot of repeat walkers so they keep the shoes for the next year. I am so sick of shoes for a few weeks before and after the event. You have not fully lived until you see a pair of women's size 17 red pumps or six pallets of shoes being off loaded from a truck. :-)

It is a mile long walk, but no one is required to go the entire distance. Some run it so we let them go first before the sensible ones that walk in order to avoid crashes. Some Walk A Mile events are small and low key while others are big productions.