Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossdressers in Public

Saw a crossdresser on a random trip to the grocery store tonight, they are out there, depending where you live you see more or less, no big deal either way.

Quote Originally Posted by GinaD View Post
    I did see another this weekend just by chance as I was waiting in a parking lot and noticed a man putting on a wig and doing his makeup in his car. He never got out an eventually drove away.
    Nice to meet you. That was me! Oh, wait. You're from San Diego; it wasn't me.

OK. So let's not count the half a dozen I've seen at the Renaissance Festival. And let's not count any of us when i went out to dinner with two or three or 20 CD friends.

I've still seen a half a dozen easily, and my record is two in one night (unrelated). And it was usually something different that gave them away. For example, hairy arms, wiggy wig, comportment (walking, eating) plus own who works at the supermarket who is just out and owns it.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I go out every 2 weeks. People look, people might laugh, people sometimes get the 1 finger salute. But I'm not full time, if you doubt I go out then come to my city. We have a big masquerade event coming up next weekend and I will be standing out alright. LOL you should see my facebook page!

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I went to a big festival recently. Three days. There were thousands of people there and I saw hundreds personally. I counted the crossdressers. How many did I count?

Zero. None. Not even a suspected crossdresser. I wonder sometimes how many crossdressers actually do go out in public. In my experience, few if any.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devida View Post
    I am actually not at all sure if I could tell if a man over 50 who chooses to dress as a woman and is a little bit careful about presentation was a man. I understand that if you are young, built or particularly hairy you might have difficulty passing, but if you are older, the same general shape as most people in America middle aged and older, wearing a wig, a bit of make-up and ordinary female clothes I doubt I could tell at a glance.
    I've been full time "obvious" (i.e., skirts or dresses) for over 2 years, and on HRT for 2 2/3 years; I was 24/7 "not always obvious" (e.g., women's jeans, jeggings) for a few years before that. My hair is about 18" long, which is down to my bust.

I still to this day get people calling me "Sir" after a glance at me, even before I have spoken. (The portion of people who call me "Ma'm" after I have spoken is very small. My voice is not deep or "manly" but it doesn't have the "music" that women's voices have.)

Do people hassle me beyond automatically mis-gendering me when I am presenting female? No, or at least very few. But they "read" my face at a glance. Always did, even with wigs and full professional make-up. Including in bad light, from a distance. I am not a disturbance; people don't pay attention to me, and they don't "avoid" paying attention to me either. But that doesn't mean they don't "see" the original gender at some level.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    The only time in my part of the world I ever seen a crossdresser out in public was one passing through getting gas at a local fill up spot. There is a guy who wears a kilt I see at auctions sometimes but then I don't think he is crossdressing because he wears the other Scottish items that goes with that.

Some years ago we were in Trinidad Colorado and at that time there was clinic there that did a lot of sex change surgeries. I did see I think if memory servres me three TG there, one of them was working in the restaurant we were eating at. At that time I think Trinidad was listed as the sex change capital of the world.

Other than that I have seen a few over the years in various places in cities. I really don't go around looking and trying to spot someone out dressed.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Kind of rare around here. I wonder if it is mostly because living in the tropics? It's summer 300 days of the year and going out in tiny sundresses, shorts, and skimpy tops can be a bit more difficult than wearing what you see in colder climates during the fall and winter??

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I have crossdressed thousands of times out in public and am sure I passed without being noticed as a crossdresser 100% of the time. It is when I apply make up, wig, breast forms and replace some of my guy clothing that are covering up my underdressing that I am sure people could spot me as a crossdresser.

Reality Check
    I wasn't trying to count people wearing the wrong underwear, I was looking for males attempting to pass as females, much as I would do when I go out in public. As a crossdresser actively looking for crossdressers, I think I could have identified any that I saw. I didn't even see anyone that I wasn't sure about.

No doubt there are parts of the country or the world where crossdressers are more common in public. I was just posting what I saw.

I hit the thrift stores with a passion. I have saw some in the ladies departments I knew were cders and some I can only assume they were. I would venture a guess, we pick a place we feel we can blend in and other open forums not so much.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Blending and passing is an art form in it self. I know a bunch of CD girlfriends that you would never be able to make. And then there are the rest of us! And yet we can still get positive responses from those with enough self confidence and lack of fear that the experience is usually great fun especially for classy old broads like me!

I have run into a couple of crossdressers at rock concerts. And I swear I have seen them at the mall or aleast tall girls with broad shoulders and no hips.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I wonder sometimes how many crossdressers actually do go out in public. In my experience, few if any.
    I totally agree with this. If you counted how many in this forum go out regularly in the mainstream, you might find 200? 500 maybe if you go back several years? 1,000 if we are to be generous with the numbers? This is a drop in the bucket compared to the total population, even if all of the active members here were to go out regularly in the mainstream.

Even when my SO and I go to LGBT/alt clubs, s/he is the only CDer there, except for the drag queens.
    Reine

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    To Stephanie Juliannna,
    Couldn't agree more. I've been in lesbian bars where they thought I was a girl, Gay bars where they thought I was a lesbian, just regular bars where they thought I was a girl, and so on.
    Whenever it's time for me to replenish my makeup, I ALWAYS get a makeover. What the heck, I'm going to buy the foundation and powder anyway, so why not get a free makeover?
    The point is that CD's are getting better at it than just going out and buying "Covergirl" cosmetics.
    By the way, nice photo you have.
    Cheryl