Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of us are in a female dominated profession?

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar

How many of us are in a female dominated profession?

After I posted my last thread about my 20th anniversary in nursing I got some feedback from other, I hate to use this word, MALE nurses. It made me think. How many of us here are in professions that are recognized more as female professions? I can think of the obvious, such as nursing, cosmetology, hairdressing, executive assistant (secretary). So show us your colors and fill in the blanks. I know I am proud to be a nurse. Show your pride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I'm not working at it now but for years I worked in Social Services. There were times when I was at meeting when I was the only male there.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I am a cashier with Wal-Mart. While a cashier isn't considered a female profession, it is a job that is more dominated by females then males

I worked for a time on a lingerie shop...and indeed I did perform well.

The 'keep busy' job I took after I retired, purchasing for the county, I was the only male in the office. All other empliyees were female. I stayd fifteen months.

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Social Services for me, too. I've been referred to as one of the girls even tho I'm not "out" at work, so it made me smile
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

I worked a couple of years as a school bus driver for a county wide system (well over 100 routes). I will never forget the first time I stepped into the drivers lounge and found saw so many women and so few men.

I figured that it could either be a very good or very bad thing and walked right in.

It turned out to be a very good thing. I played the part of a clueless man (easy for me to do) and about 10 women took me under their wing.
    Quarterly TG Invasions: TgDetroit.com
    Facebook: MsVal Bralt

I'm right there with you in nursing, even in the ER 80% of the staff is women. As much as I like girl talk about weddings, and clothes and tanning, etc; i do find myself wishing to talk with the guys more and more.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 10-10-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: not allowed

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar
    As a firefighter, not so much. A few females here and there. Some of the ones i have met don't belong, because they simply can't do the job. As a paramedic, a little more so with the private ambulances as opposed to the fire depts, mostly because of the physical demands of that job as well.

Sara Beth and Michelle, I am with you in social services. At one point my boss referred to me as the token male and asked me to make the coffee for a meeting. I did her one better and not only set up the coffee but brought the home made apple cake to go with it. All the other employees wanted my recipe. I often wondered if I was wearing the prettiest panties in the room.
    Hugs
    Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Junior Member Mellisastocking996's Avatar
    Working in social care for a good number of years with women predominately. Always felt under represented but strangely enjoyed it!

Silver Member
    I've done both hairdresser and now firefighter. I loved doing hair but it was also a bit like being in a candy store and not having money buy anything. I had little opportunity to indulge in the feminine offering but was surrounded by them.

I work as professional in a field that is about 80% women. I don't want to say what it is as the type of work requires a large amount of trust and everyone knows everyone else. I've always related to women better so it's good for me.

Angela

I am a professional jeweler. I design and make everything we sell so I am not the type of jeweler you encounter in a jewelry store. Craftspeople like me are known as artist jewelers or metalsmiths. There seem to be as many female as male artist jewelers. There are even a few transgender jewelers out there!

Here's a twist: I am male and in a male dominated industry. I am widely known for championing many women/female recognition and mentoring programs, and for advocating for women's advancement in the industry. Am also known for my great passion for my daughters and granddaughters and creating a future for them without bias. I accept that, but there is a secret ingredient, too.

I have been a nurse for 20 years and still enjoy it

I was a teacher for 35 years. At the time that I started, that was a female dominated profession, especially if you didn't coach a male sport.

I believe that my field, being a PCA, or personal care attendant, does employ more women then men.

When I started out in analytical chemistry the field was male dominated but by the time I retired it was female dominated.

I am a high school teacher. The split in our school is about 60%/40% women to men. It's a very pleasant environment for me.

- Diane

Certainly not me.

I work in the oilfield, its very male dominated.

Out of the 100s of people I've interacted with in the work place I can count the number women on two hands.
    Just Roll With It

The company I work for employs more men than women, but it is certainly "female dominated", because the managing director is a woman.

Silver Member
    I know all about being in a female dominated profession, about 98-99% of electrologists are women, I am a rare exception (being a male), though a majority of the very top elite electrologists in the USA are men.

I have predominately worked in call centres, its a 80% ratio women to men... Most of my friends are women too...
    Joys of life evolution
    Life is too short, take life less seriously

Working as an Auto mechanic for 42 years, definitely dominated by men.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"