Hi all,

Well I am a bit steamed to say the least . . . just when I wish to rest on my laurels about how progressive Canada is, I get blindsided by narrow minded Conservative tripe designed to discriminate against those who do not conform to a neat binary.

My wife and I just got back from a trip to the US and as I have an upcoming trip to the Victoria BC I thought this would be a great opportunity to experience flying as Isha. So, I approached the CATSA agents to ask what things I need to do in order to ensure a smooth check in / screening while "en femme". Imagine my surprise when the agent looked at me, smirked and said "Unless you have your equipment removed or have a doctor's letter saying it will be done within the year, it is illegal to fly as the opposite gender". Needless to say, the douchebag agent and myself had words along with his supervisor about his rudeness and I have lodged an official complaint about the agent and now his DB supervisor who laughed at my "silly question".

So my understanding is that an obscure Transport Canada change (no vote required) in 2012 made it illegal for Trans persons to fly while presenting as the opposite gender on their documentation unless they could produce a doctor's letter indicating they are TS and will undergo SRS within a year.

So my question to any Canadian TG folks who have flown as the opposite gender since 2012 . . . Is this something you have experienced?

Sorry, very upset and very ashamed to be Canadian at this moment

Hugs

Isha