Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being traditionally masculine or feminine

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar

Being traditionally masculine or feminine

I have read many posts about those that are in a DADTDS (don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t show) relationship. One post in particular just last night where a GG said that she does not want to see any sign of her husband doing something that is considered to be traditionally feminine; like for example, shaving any part of their body. The point being that many of these women want to see their men as men; they do not want to stop seeing the masculine covered up or obscured by traditionally feminine things.

This got me thinking this morning; I wonder does it go both ways? Are any of you that have SOs who tell you how they want you to dress and behave, do you also get to tell them how they get to dress and behave? That maybe you want them to do things that are considered to be traditionally more feminine and that you do not want to see them do things that are traditionally considered to be masculine.

Like for example, it is fine that they do not want to wear makeup, but you want to see them with makeup. Or maybe, it is fine that they want to wear pants, but you just don’t want to see it. Or how about you want to make sure that when your children see their legs, they had better be shaved because you don’t want them to confuse your children about what mommy is choosing to do?

Okay, so maybe I am being a bit sarcastic (who me?) but I am honestly curious if it goes both ways? I suspect that maybe it doesn’t. Because I get the impression that this is how our society goes. It is okay for women to do a variety of things both traditionally masculine and feminine and it does not make them any less of a woman, but honestly from what I read, many GGs do not want their men to do things that are traditionally seen as feminine because it does make them less masculine, and it is a problem.

I am curious as to what other’s thoughts on this are as being gender non-conforming 100% of the time, I frequently ponder traditional masculine and feminine roles in our society and I think I see things a bit differently than most.

I would never dream of dictating to my wife as to how to dress - i will offer an honest opinion is asked or a compliment spontaneously

Totally one sided. Would never impose my values on my SO. Here body, her choice. Would I prefer that she were less mens t shirts and more dresses/skirts/heels, a bit of makeup etc, absolutely ! But in the end she has to be happy with how she looks, not me. So I am with Bridget...not my place.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Banned Read only
    Nadine, I think this is a one way trip. Short of growing a beard, my wife can't even get to the edge of masculine, regardless what she does. Men doing something feminine is like stepping into the wading pool. A little bit and you're all in. For woman, it would be like going into the Mariana Trench.

I would never tell my wife how to dress or wear makeup ect. I May make helpful suggestions for her while we're out shopping though. I'm lucky to have a pretty feminine wife that likes to dress nice but also doesn't mind getting dirty on the weekends, hiking or mountain biking ect.

I gotta confess to not liking my wife cutting her hair to anything remotely approaching "short"! In practice it's not a serious issue because it's not her style but...
    We do have a running joke that the cats don't recognise her when she wears a skirt / dress (e.g. Hey kittens, mummy has legs after all!)

You have to understand the two basic rules when it comes to women Hon:

Rule # 1: Your woman is never wrong.

Rule # 2: If your woman is wrong, see rule # 1.

Simple, right?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I have made suggestions about various things to my wife over the years but I never insisted on anything. My biggest thing has always been about the length of her hair I like really long and she for years wouldn't wear it that way because she said it was hassled with it long and doing what she had to do to get ready for work. What she wears is up to her, although she does at times ask my oppinion.

There were times when I would have liked it if she had worn makeup more but she always had allergy problems and never could wear most makeup anyway. For the most part I have been happy about that too, not having to wait for her to put on makeup the woman can be slow enought getting ready (LOL).
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I think that my wife LOVES it when I do things that are traditionally considered 'feminine,' such as clean the house or have dinner ready when she gets home,or make sure the laundry gets done. But she most definitely doesn't' want me looking like a woman when I do them.

Aspiring Member
    This is a great post!! If my wife could do anything more than wearing pants to be masculine, she would and then say, "right back at ya baby" which I gotta admit would hang me up for a second. But I've never even had an inkling to request, require or insist she dress or appear in a particular manor, (she's a very attractive lady in her own right.)She's my wife and I want to keep it that way? She'll tweak my male wardrobe without hesitation and once in a blue moon comment on my female wardrobe, and that's just fine with me.

Silver Member
    You're right, it can be rather hypocritical in a sense. I wonder how women would feel if a man insisted on his wife shaving her legs or armpits when she did not want to ("patriarchal sexist pig! This isn't the 50s!") versus a woman telling her husband he can't shave his legs ("Of course she objects, she married a man!")

To me, it is one's own body and they can do with it as they see fit. I may want my SO to shave her legs, I may not want her to buzz the hair on her head off, but ultimately if I don't like it tough rocks, it is attached to her and it makes it her choice.

(I won't lie and say I didn't have my preferences, but I would have never dared to tell Old Lady what she "can" and "can't wear" or "could" and "could not" do, that would not have lasted a nanosecond!)
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 10-15-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Nadine, I think this is a one way trip. Short of growing a beard, my wife can't even get to the edge of masculine, regardless what she does. Men doing something feminine is like stepping into the wading pool. A little bit and you're all in.
    Once upon a time little things that women did, like wearing pants, was seen as being masculine. No more though, why? Because of their insistence that it does not make them any less of a woman to simply wear pants, or not wear makeup, or have short hair or????

Oh and funny story from today at work. Someone who works with my wife said to her, "your husband does not look like how I thought he would." My wife said "well how did you think he would look?" The coworker replied "Oh, I dunno, maybe bigger and with a big hairy beard or something." My wife said "Yeah he does lots of feminine things, like painting his finger nails and wearing women's jewelry, but he is still uber masculine huh?" The coworker replied "Yeah he is."

So maybe once upon a time it was like stepping into a wading pool, but from my personal experiences times are a changing!

And maybe that is where these thoughts originated from for me. Just because I do lots of things that are traditionally feminine, my wife does not see me as any less of a man. It is kind of odd for me to read about GGs on this board who are concerned about loosing sight of their manly man. I mean from my own wife describing me as "uber masculine," wow, how much more masculine could I get? Even with everything fem that I do, somehow I am still her uber masculine man.

Maybe I am just doing this whole cross dressing thing wrong! Ha-Ha!
    Last edited by Nadine Spirit; 10-15-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Hi Nadine
    I think you are absolutely right about this. Whilst my wife is free to choose how she presents her femininity she is also free to be as raucous as she likes when watching football or actively follow male dominated sports. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a woman being passionate about following sport, my point is the she is free to move between the two domains of what is socially acceptable for both males and females.
    As men we are expected to stay within the confines of 'Manworld' and if we venture into 'Girlworld' well eyebrows get raised.
    My wife had great taste in clothes and used to get her nails done regularly. Over the last few years she stopped getting them done and seems to have opted for a simpler wardrobe style, still her choice, no issue. I'd like her to look more feminine but will not say anything for fear of hurting her feelings.
    I mistakenly told her once that I thought she was too mannish with the way she followed sports. I don't think she ever forgave me for that, it was how she was brought up.
    Well maybe this is why I like to frock up.
    Amanda

I don't really mind if my girlfriend wears pants or not wear makeup or shave hers legs, Yeah I think she looks a lot better with makeup and girly clothes, but I wouldn't love her any less if she decided to be more masculine. As for me though it seems like i'm expected to be masculine, and i'm fine with that for now since i'm very in the closet about my CDing

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Spirit View Post
    Once upon a time little things that women did, like wearing pants, was seen as being masculine. No more though, why? Because of their insistence that it does not make them any less of a woman to simply wear pants, or not wear makeup, or have short hair or????
    Right. Women worked together to change social expectations. It was hard on the first women, and people (both men and women) made their lives hell. But they persevered and persuaded other women to join them, and over time they changed society.

Similarly, those of you who bend gender norms are changing society. In the last fifty years it has become more acceptable for men to have long hair, to have first one and now both ears pierced, to shave their legs, and carry a purse. That's more true in some regions than in others, of course. (For women too, it was easier to challenge social conventions in big cities first, and women in the suburbs and rural areas took a long time to adopt the new approach.)

Banned Read only
    Nadine,
    The point about shaving is a little unfair because as I've said before my wife's family have little or no body hair, my son takes after them and has no chest hair but no one calls them effeminate !!

Recently I told my wife that I sleep better wearing a nightie, to keep her happy under my PJs ! The other night I thought to hell with this, I took my PJs off ! I make no comment at all to what she wears in bed, she can wear anything and I would say nothing, in fact I hate her PJs !!

The other point is as you say do we ever comment on our partner doing something that wasn't very feminine ? My wife doesn't appear to be 100% happy with me doing the house hold chores maybe because she thinks I'm doing them dressed ! At least she comes home to a clean house a meal on the table and the washing cleaned, dried and ironed !

Doesn't cut both ways. Men are put into a box pretty early on. Women 7sed to have s8milar constraints but that has changed a lot s8nce the feminist movement particularly as it relates to clothing and activities and behavior. Some of the reasons why I spent so much wasted time hiding things about me that we simply a natural part of me. What a waste! Some new I'm seeking to move the dial a bit. Still can't forget 8 projected one thing f9r along time and my SO deserves time to be eased into seeing my fem side.

Quote Originally Posted by JessM. View Post
    Right. Women worked together to change social expectations. It was hard on the first women, and people (both men and women) made their lives hell. But they persevered and persuaded other women to join them, and over time they changed society.

Similarly, those of you who bend gender norms are changing society. In the last fifty years it has become more acceptable for men to have long hair, to have first one and now both ears pierced, to shave their legs, and carry a purse. That's more true in some regions than in others, of course. (For women too, it was easier to challenge social conventions in big cities first, and women in the suburbs and rural areas took a long time to adopt the new approach.)
    I think Jess makes a good point to remind us of a world that has changed to accept the struggles that women fought hard for. Do we tend to adopt a "woe is me mentality" towards the social bias that exists? I mean no offence with this or am trying to be argumentative its just that there are a lot of posts that deal with the inequality of men's right to present as they want when women have greater choice.
    Maybe we need to take a leaf out of the Suffragettes book. Or is the issue rooted in the balance of power?
    Just saying
    Amanda

Gone to live my life
    Hi Nadine,

This is a fair observation and though I am not in a DADT relationship I would still like to wade in if I may. What you are alluding to is one sidedness in this creation of boundaries/rules/regulations or whatever negotiated during the early phase of discovery. I am a firm believer of mutually agreed upon boundaries. Specifically, if one party is not comfortable with it then an accord needs to be reached and if one party has to give up a bit of ground then the contract (written or verbal) needs to ensure that this particular boundary is open for renegotiation at a later date. Some here will say it is important to accept all conditions sight unseen in order to have peace. However IMHO this implies you have done something bad and now have to acquiesce in order to gain acceptance and be welcomed back as a good person . . . as if all the loving and caring things you may have done in the past are wiped out and now you need to tow the line. If you can accept those conditions and are happy then so be it. However, I have seen time again where people have promised to adhere to a boundary and then creep up to it and try to pass only to end up in a tailspin.

No party, the SO or the CDer should have the right to dictate terms . . . this is not a war negotiating surrender terms but a partnership trying to make sense of a new development. If one party cannot abide by it then perhaps exit visas are the best option. But if you can come to mutual terms it will be a better experience.

Hugs

Isha

I don't have enough hair on my head to grow long. If I did, it might happen. My nails are a little long, but not to the point of omg that man has long nails. And I shave my legs. My wife has never told me I had to stop shaving or I had to cut my nails. The nails she is not thrilled about, but has never said you have to cut them. I have said things to my wife before about what I prefer, but have also never told her she had to do this or that. I have told her that if she stopped shaving and cut her hair real short (mens style) I would not leave her, but I would not prefer it, so its all fair. I limit my nail growth because A. my wife does not like me with real long nails, and B. I don't want to be noticed because of it. If both A and B were not an issue, they would be longer. I limit myself.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda L. View Post
    I mean no offence with this or am trying to be argumentative its just that there are a lot of posts that deal with the inequality of men's right to present as they want when women have greater choice.
    This is an excellent side point in this discussion. Women have fought hard for their right to appear however they want to. This has not always been popular with either gender. I think that nowadays we are experiencing the exact same thing with men. But a big difference as I see it is, many men do these non-traditional things, but we are so ashamed of our own behaviors that we refuse to allow others to see it. We hide them from everyone. Without publicly standing up for our rights we will never change the public's perceptions. For me, I know I have changed many people's opinions. While I am not 100% out with my cross dressing, I am out 100% with my gender non conforming. For example, I am at work right now, and here are my nails:

nails 5.jpg

This is one of those times when each situation needs to be assessed on an individual basis. If I hadn't told my GF before we moved in together, I could have understood her being uncomfortable seeing any aspect of femininity, assuming that bothered her, and she would have had a case for objecting. As I did tell her, and she had seen it, her telling me now, would be unfair. Similarly, me telling her that she should put on a skirt more often, is not going to fly, nor should it. When something changes in a relationship, you both have to work out where the changes leave you, and whether they are something you can accept. If the male starts to become a bit more girly, and the female objects, well fine, but she might not have such a strong case if his changes are comparatively minor, when she has completely stopped taking care of her appearance and become a saggy pant wearing frump when before marriage, she was always looking like a million dollars. Gotta look at the whole picture.

Women these days have a lot more freedom to behave in ways that weren't considered "proper" a few decades ago. Still a long way to go, and the princessification of girls is too deeply embedded to be done away with overnight. Men have even further to go to break out of the "stoic, unemotional" straitjacket we have been forced into for so long. I consider myself fortunate in my GF, and in my work environment that I have a lot more freedom than most in that regard.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Spirit View Post
    This is an excellent side point in this discussion. Women have fought hard for their right to appear however they want to. This has not always been popular with either gender. I think that nowadays we are experiencing the exact same thing with men. But a big difference as I see it is, many men do these non-traditional things, but we are so ashamed of our own behaviors that we refuse to allow others to see it. We hide them from everyone.
    Yes and no. Women do still hide some things. My wife will not wear a skirt out if her legs need waxing. Her choice or social expectation and pressure? How many women do you see at formal functions wearing a suit and tie? If they do they are judged as butch or lesbian.

I think that there is less social stigma for women to wear a larger variety of clothes HOWEVER I do think there is still just as much social stigma for women to express a masculine gender. The two are not directly correlated.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    To the point of the op, even my very supportive wife has some "male things she really wants maintained, but they are so few it is totally not a problem...but...in another life I could never have a relationship with a women who was not open to a dialogue about these issues and compromise on both sides. My wife is very conscious of my likes and dislikesIin her gender presentation. It is a two way street.

To Adina

Yeah but what was once considered masculine for a woman to do has changed over time while for men it has remained rather static. I think this has been due to how men and women have handled their desires. Women stand up for themselves and stick together much better than men do.