Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is progression inevitable and endless?

Banned Read only

Is progression inevitable and endless?

I have read a number of posts from wives where they fear the seemingly endless progression into cross dressing that they are experiencing with their husband. I think the chief problem is that when you re in a moment, the now, it is hard to get perspective on the issue. I made a graph that I think captures a timeline for the typical cross dresser. We re all in hiding, we reach some breaking point where we have to tell our wife, freedom and fog ensues. The time between phases varies by individual. Could be days or years (hence the perception of endlessness).

What do you think? Does it capture it for your average cross dresser?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Endless progression terrifies me. Heck, just being on this forum has already changed the way I think. While it's great that I've become more accepting of who I am, I'm also finding myself mroe frustrated that I don't have the opportunities to express myself. Where does it stop? I thought I had a line for myself, but I'm already wondering if I made a mistake setting those limits.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that's been through this?
    I'm a girl when I feel like it

Yep. That's a pretty good representation of my life, and I suspect many others as well. The problem lies with the gap between discovery/hiding and acceptance/comfort zone.

When I discovered my comfort zone I did a lot of soul-searching. I came to realize that deep down I always had a pretty clear understanding of my end point. What appeared as escalation was really just me lurching towards a level of comfort I always knew existed. How many years were wasted lying to myself? How much heartache could have been avoided?

I suppose I am lucky to have accepted my place early enough to enjoy the real me, but I can't help but wonder what could have been if I had the courage to cut out the middle.
    "It's a sad man, my friend, who's living in his own skin and can't stand the company" - Bruce Springsteen

Come visit me at Jocelyn's World

hi Jennifer,

I wasn't going to respond, because the graph is aimed at those who came out after they were married, and I came out to my (now) wife on our first date. But I took some time to really think it over, and I realized that the graph pretty much lays out the five year period of being single, prior to meeting my wife, and coming to terms with myself. I went through ALL of those phases, with no one else to answer to, and except for "the low point", which I never had a reason to have, it's pretty accurate. I found my comfort zone, and may have pushed the dial up a little further if I'd stayed single, but i dialed it down for a few years so as to help my wife find HER comfort zone...Now, we're both, in a good way, just kinda zoning out:-)

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Jenn I too told my wife when we married but in reality I was still hiding so yes I've been through a lot on that graph.
    I think I'm getting to the comfortable part even if I don't go out but that's more about the SO than what I would like

Spot on Jennifer, I recognize a lot of my path on your graph, only difference is I suffered the worst type of reveal by getting caught. You can replace the "hiding" part with the years of "repression" that followed for me though, which inevitably lead up to the "breaking point". The graph would follow the same line though. I would say I'm somewhere between "euphoria ends" and "low point found" at the moment. I, and I suppose my wife as well, have also experienced the feeling of endlessness.

You have obviously done your homework.
    Last edited by Jenny Elwood; 10-16-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Yep pretty good description, happy with the comfort zone but still mowing the lawn to often.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Nice graph. I wonder if you could put in more before the breaking point? From reading people's stories, it sounds like there's a burst of CD activity during adolescence and then the CDer's interest fades for a while, at least for some people, while they get caught up in dating, marriage, and having children. And then in mid-life, the interest comes back in an unavoidable way, which leads to active lying and then to feelings of guilt and then telling, or else getting caught.

At least from what my husband says, the twenty years I knew him before he came out to me were not full of obsessive thoughts about CDing.

Well I like anything with graphs. I think my data would overlay well. Unfortunately I'm still more to the left side than I would like. But the GF will be happy that it doesn't have a positive slope.

Wow...did you over-hear my wife and I discussing this exact subject last night? Seems that from her point of view (at the start of discusdion) that is exactly what is happening. I cant measure the quantum or when but we both now understand and know that there is that point of plateau or comfort zone. (For me anyway).

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jen,

That is most likely an accurate representation of how things have gone for me over the past year. However, I would also have peaks and valleys during the "rationalization" and "comfort zone" time periods as I explored various avenues of my comfort . . . some went well and created a peak, some not so well and created a valley . . . once stabilized the comfort zone was found. Now this is only year one for me so I imagine there will be peaks and valleys yet to come as the "comfort zone" stretches.

Hugs

Isha

Yep, this graph pretty much sums up my (CD related) life in the last couple of years. Feelings of gender incongruence and rationalisation do cause a few fluctuations every now and then, but my 'line' is pretty stable in the long run.

One can wonder what the Y-axis really shows though. Is it time/money invested in cross-dressing per week? The level of 'femininity'? The amount of body hair lost?

Aspiring Member
    Nice graph, Jennifer.

Of course, as a wife I'm thinking 'why couldn't the comfort zone be level with the hiding zone and he can go back to just wearing lingerie.' Yep, ever hopeful. But that wouldn't be truthful and this helps a GG understand what is to come.

So, thanks.

Is there such a thing as an "average CDer"? Many of us work with our own individual paradigm.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    Your graph seems a reasonable representation of the phases and trend lines that would be familiar to most of us. The whole concept of progression is, in my mind, more a matter of discovery of things that have always been rather than fundamental change. For someone of my age, it's rather like exposing a fossil from surrounding g sediment. It's always been ther, but unseen. As you pick away, eventually it's fully revealed.

The fear that progression will ever end...that a reasonable, and in the vast majority of cases, needless fear of the unknown.

One other thought, a qualifier. A very small percentage of us are TS. But a fair number of CDrs are emotionally unsettled, even suffering long term emotional pain. I fear that some of us may mistake that emotional high, the shot of endorphins, or whatever, as a relief to emotional problems that are rooted elsewhere.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't know if this represents the average CD or not. Maybe it represents the average married CD that kept it a secret when they got married. I can't relate to the rationalization or low point myself, probably because the euphoria hasn't ended. Oh... must be because I'm single
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Nice graph, Jennifer, however my experience is that it can be cyclical and we can go in and out and back to certain phases. I have yet to hit my low, and I've been fully open with the wife about Cding for six years. I'd say euphoria has hit and left, and come back more than once. Kinda like how the tgerapist explained to me that the five stages of grief don't becessarliy go in order, and can be repeated.

I think it's seen as endless progression because for many it's under such micro-scrutiny. Every microscopic movement is seen as progression. I don't think that's necessarily an SO's attitude. I think many of us observe the same things, and celebrate every move while simultaneously deriding our SO's because it's "no big deal".

There are a million examples of this, but to pick one, let's say you've always worn your hair really short and you decide to let it grow. You're likely to celebrate (internally at least) every little milestone. First it touches the top of your ears, then covers your ears, the back is down over your shirt collar. When it gets to about your chin, you start trying to put it in a ponytail, and wonder how long it'll be before it reaches your shoulders. Then, you've make it! You have truly shoulder length hair. You get a few layers. You get brave enough to color it for the first time. You start playing with a flat iron, then a curling iron, then curlers. Then it's long enough to put in a high ponytail. You try braids and buns. People seeing you from behind start referring to you as maam. Your whole morning routine changes. Even in male mode, you have to spend a half hour on your hair before you go out. Friends who haven't seen you in a while are astonished. You get the feeling that they're talking about you behind your back, and they probably are. Although you never told anybody, what you really wanted was bras strap length hair. That's only 6 inches away. You'll be there in a year. And what difference does it make anyway? Just below the shoulders, bra strap length, what difference does it make? Right?

All this time your SO's is thinking, "When is this going to stop?" One way of looking at this, you did one thing. Let your hair grow out. From another viewpoint, it was a progression of a thousand steps. If you're completely honest with yourself, you know it was a progression of a thousand steps.

At the same time this was going on, other things were changing, too. Pick your favorite flavor. We've all got 'em. Maybe when your hair got long enough to cover your ears, you got your ears pierced. You started off with little gold balls, then a small thin hoop, then a little bigger, then a dangle, then a bigger hoop... you get the drift. That's progress. It wasn't one thing, getting your ears pierced. It was all the things that led up to the earring collection you have now.

Although the progression is certainly not without dips and dives, it's there at least as constant change. Each change unto itself is insignificant. Combined, it's massive. To your SO, you probably downplay it something like, "Hey, so I let my hair grow out! Big deal! Lots of guys have long hair!" All the while you know how significant it was.

I'm 56 years old. I've played all the games. I'm also divorced.

Jennifer, thanks for bringing these ideas forward. I'm still some where on the first up slope, so I'll see if my own experience correlates!

Hugs, Bria

It's up to the individual. I told my wife on our third date I had a NEED to wear woman's clothes. The fog rolled in and out over the years. Sometimes not returning for many months. A couple years ago for reasons still understand I needed to transition to be comfortable. After 31 years of marriage transition ended the marriage.

Transition is a very difficult process I would not wish on my worst enemy. Transition has however delivered a measure of inner peace. The farther I progress the more comfortable I become, despite the losses incurred. (Which by the way was huge)
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Love the graph. It does apply directly to me in the context of one who came out after being married. I came out during my relationship and my wife, then girlfriend, knew of everything before or as I did it. But in general terms the graph still applies well enough to me.

To answer the question in the title of the post. No progression is not inevitable or endless.

I like the way you presented your idea.
    We like logic.

However I'm not sure that it speaks for the 'average' CD or that an 'average CD' even exists.
    But I certainly get the point you're illustrating.
    Samantha -x-

I think its a good stab at how things are for a lot of people, Jennifer. But, as Rhonda implies, the devil is in the details, and as Kate asked..."is there an average crossdresser?"
    In the time I have been here on this forum alone, I have observed many people on many slightly different versions of this rocky road. I guess all attempts to find commonality are as likely to find success or failure as any attempt to establish differences. But, like with religion, if doing either gives you or anyone comfort then I am all in favor.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I agree that the graph for the most part mirrors what most CD go through.

I would add that its often been said that often, how far a CD/TC transitions is the opportunities that they have.
    "Opportunities" includes how others around them offer support, how their position in life supports them and how well they "pass".

In other words, if you pass easily and those around you support you, it is much easy to progress and, the opposite makes it so much harder.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 10-16-2014 at 12:03 PM.

The curve looks about right, however, I think there are similar patterns for both CDs and Transsexuals.

The hard question to answer is "Is my husband transsexual?".
    And if it turns out that she is, "How do I accept".

The answers are never easy - and this is why we encourage those who are struggling to see the professional health of a WPATH qualified therapist.

Transition isn't right for everyone - even transsexuals, and often the challenge for the therapist is to determine what would be best for the client at that time.

When confronted with the choice of transition and never seeing my kids again, or being able to be for them as their dad, I had to delay for several years.
    I hated being forced to make that choice, but if it had to be made, I didn't want the kids to suffer.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success