Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you look?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by GretchenJ View Post
    Thats always been the thing with me. I have been complimented a couple of times, but as my pessimistic personality, that always sits in the back of my mind. Are they being sincere, are they appreciating the effort, are they trying to strike a conversation to hear me speak - which will confirm there assumptions....
    Gretchen, I did not mean to state that it was insincere. I think the compliment was genuine. Considering the material with which I have to work, I WAS lovely!

I am like Jennifer in that I think that I can give a close approximation of a woman, but not pass on close inspection. I do receive a lot of compliments from women when out, but like Kate the OP, I think that they are complimenting on how well I did in trying to reach my goal as a man trying to pass as a woman (most probably impossible for me). That being said, I have received a few true statements by others that they thought I was a woman until they heard my voice, and one of those commentators was sitting at the table right next to us.

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    It's the icing-on-the-cake and the cat's meow all in one.
    Doesn't happen often but when it does I feel as I've just hit a home run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Gretchen, I did not mean to state that it was insincere. I think the compliment was genuine. Considering the material with which I have to work, I WAS lovely!
    Jennifer, you have a lot more to work with than me. I was out recently and it wasn't until I spoke that I was clocked. Having said that, there is no way I would pass if someone really looked.

In my mind I look great but I know I'm not passable. I don't do it for other people I do it for me and I feel great when dressing.

Silver Member
    When I was young I was told I was pretty or beautiful. This was in the late 50s and CDing was unusual but to have a SA in a dress shop tell you that you look great in that dress and mean it to who she thought was a girl. Even more exciting was when a guy told the guy I was with, she is pretty referring to me. He couldn't wait to tell me. By the time I was in my later 20s It became harder to look like a woman. As time went on I looked less and less like one. By the time I hit my 50s I realized that there was no way I could pass.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    Well judging by how many times I've been asked for my number, been bought drinks, and followed around by guys like they were a lot puppy, I think I look pretty good.

the important thing for me is that i feel good. i'd like to think that i look good also...
    never had a compliment from a woman and only a few from men.
    seems most of my compliments come from other cd'ers, which is very much appreciated,
    but i guess that pretty much sums up my appearance...
    paula

I hate to sound like a pompous ass, but I've been told by both men and women I look "awesome." Actual use of that word. as I usually have low self esteem I'll take it as I'm not very good at most things. It does make me laugh, as I know what I'm really like, which is somewhere between terrible and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Sorry Jenn for going off topic somewhat - I was not disputing your statement, but it was your very keen phrasing of "implied statement" that triggered me thinking of my own experiences, mainly my own insecurities that I have in both my male and female personna. My apologies if I offended in anyway...

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't dress for others, Sherry dresses primarily for ME!

Small wonder no one has ever complimented me when dressed. Just another homely old man in a dress.

Sherry gets an entirely different reaction. Dropped jaws 364 days a year. But, hit on at Halloween! Still, no compliments in person. Sigh!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I think I look damn sexy, I do get a lot of compliments, from men and women. I don't try to pass, I don't wear a wig but from the neck down i think I look like a woman.

I look like a grandmother who should be baking cookies

I can bake cookies AND look good Bridget.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    I look like a smartly dressed middle aged woman. Which is exactly what I want to be. Mind you I have had an awful lot of practice so I know what I'm doing.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    Some questions are best left unanswered in my case.

I think I have potential to look a lot better. I haven't been out hardly at all, yet I've had a couple of compliments. Of course, I don't pass as a GG. I think some of us are PT barnum types. We can fool some of the people all the time, and maybe all of the people some of the time? But I recently met a CD that told me passing isn't what's important. What's important is being who you are.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

What a good question as when done fully makeup and all I step back from a full length mirror and admirer myself but still wouldn't call myself beautiful as I know at 6'2" and taller in heels I do get noticed quite a bit on the few times I've been out. So doubt anyone would call me beautiful or good looking. I guess that's why I don't go out much and love to dress in private for myself and others that do think I'm pretty. There are those that are totally passable and I envy them but I'm happy with my fem look as do love dressing for the men who enjoy my company and the compliments I get from them make me feel fem, wonderful and beautiful.

I feel I look nice most of the time, pretty some of the time and part of the time I just want to find the number of that plastic surgeon. But I'm sure that's how most women feel during their life so I am fine with that.
    As for compliments, yes, I've had a few and they have come from both men and women. They always are a bolster to my confidence and always welcomed.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Its a tough question, isn't it? I have no idea, really. But more importantly, I don't really care. I go out quite a bit. I do it for me. This is who I am and I don't want to be bottled up in a room somewhere. I did that way too long. Sure, I hope to be attractive. Who doesn't? I think I look ok. I don't think I am embarrassing. But with my height I always know I get extra scrutiny. Then again, I don't do this for anyone except me. It's just me. It's who I am. Accept me or don't. I expect there are people who don't care for the way I dress sometimes in drab either. There are always jerks out there ready to pass judgement on others for how they look. But whose life is it? I mean really...whose life are you leading? After way too long living according to how other people said I should, well...my give a darn is broken. lol
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Samantha,

Well said - I think it's how we feel about the way we look rather than the actuality.
    But the main reason for the reply is a bit off-topic.

It's great to see someone quoting JJ Cale (RIP) in their signature line - I still have his first 5 albums - on vinyl - which I bought when they were first released. "Naturally" I've been a fan for a very long time.......

lol...me too Jean. I have the original vinyl as well. But if you have not heard it, you should give listen to the new Eric Clapton tribute album. He does Cale so nicely.
    Sorry Kate, didn't mean to get off topic here...lol
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Unsolicited compliments on my appearance always gave me a thrill, although at present I don't go out dressed. Some of the best- Chatting to another "girl" in a club who seemed rather diffident who when I revealed my real gender said she thought she was talking to a real woman. Trying on a suit in a Dublin store and being told by the sales assistant how good i looked in it.
    Siobhan

When I was in my early 30's my friends said I looked like Gloria Steinem. I then asked them if that was the N.O.W. Gloria or the Playboy Bunny Gloria? You can guess the response!

Like Madeline, it is my height that has always given me away, the few times i was out. Admirers send me lots of accolades on my looks, and beauty on email.