Thread: Close call on the Underground

Close call on the Underground

Talk about a close call yesterday!

I had the opportunity yesterday afternoon and evening for some Judith time so I decided to get dressed up and cruise the shops. I needed to take the underground to get to Kensington High Street. So there I was, standing on the platform waiting for my train. Fortunately I was well down the platform, looking in the direction from which the train would approach and, therefore, away from the stairs.

Because what happened next was that I heard two VERY familiar female voices approaching from behind. Although they were well up the platform near the stairs and I had my back to them, they were talking rather loudly - younger one had just landed a plum role in a play and was very excited! I should explain that I have known the owners of these two voices for at least thirty years - two sisters - one was in the same class as me at school and I briefly dated the other. Either one finds out about Judith and I'm toast! And they're both walking down the platform. Talk about panic!

The platform was reasonably busy but not so much that I couldn't move. So, without turning around I quietly slipped back from the platform edge towards the station wall as if the next train wasn't for me. They walked right past me and stopped not five feet away, still chattering away and watching for their train. If they had looked round then they would certainly have spotted me. But they didn't. Their train arrived (thankfully it wasn't going to High Street Kensington - that would have forced a change of plans) and away they went.

Talk about relief! They definitely didn't spot me. If they had they WOULD have made a scene and they would have lost no time in telling the story far and wide! Still can't believe that I got away with it. Guess it just goes to show that people really are engrossed in their own worlds.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    You hit the nail right on the head with that one. Unless you do something to attract attention to yourself, 90% of the people in a public setting will be so caught up in their own lives that you remain in the background. I suppose you could have gone into panic mode, started to run and fallen down, sliding into their feet, knocking them down and losing your hair in the mele that followed. Now that would be a heck of a story, but I think you did the right thing and hope you had a great day in High Street Kenisngton.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

They may have not recognized you anyway, but it good you did not find out the hard way.

Sarah,
    After the initial scare I did have a wonderful afternoon browsing the shops on Kensington High Street.

Annaliese,
    I do try hard with makeup but I've no illusions about 'passing' with anyone at close quarters! It is perhaps five years since I've had any significant contact with either of these women but we were reasonably good friends (or appeared to be) at a time and I'm told by school friends that, apart from putting on weight and greying hair, I haven't changed much in the intervening years. So, I have no doubt that if they had turned around they were close enough to get a good look and both of them would have recognised me.

Banned Read only
    I remember having times like that. I used to pretend I was in a James Bond film and had to get the plans from one side of the city to the other without being detected by anyone. After a while that got to be a lot of work so I just came out to the world and the rest is history.

The best part about the tube is there will be another train in three minutes.

I believe they may not have recognized you anyway.

Nice to avoid them though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    yikes Judith I feel your fear sis I know if I got outted by female friend out of my tgirl world I would be toast also

Reality Check
    I'm assuming you were wearing a wig and makeup as well as female clothing so I wouldn't think you would be recognizable out in public and away from your wife, your home, your car, etc. Feminine eyeglasses are a big help in disguising your face as well and something you might try.

Your avatar shows you so totally feminine that I find it hard to believe they would have recognized you.

Vieja

Judith - I'm sure your very feminine appearance would have been enough for you to remain incognito, especially if it's busy and you can sidle away and hide a bit - people are always wrapped up in their own world and conversations so you would likely have been nothing more than another well-dressed, smartly turned-out woman going shopping...

And remember - if you do get caught anywhere on the underground by anybody, just shouting 'Mornington Crescent' trumps everything else...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Krisi,
    Yes, I was wearing a wig and makeup, and looking as feminine as I could manage. And I've changed my glasses since either of them last saw me (not that I was wearing the glasses anyhow). Still, even if older sister had been unsure, I am certain that the younger sister, had she seen my face, would have recognised me instantly. They were standing close enough to make eye contact had they turned around. That's all that she would have needed! So unless I had been wearing really dark sunglasses! I do like the feminine glasses idea. Need to get a copy of my current prescription.

Katey,
    Sidle away and avoid them seeing my face is exactly what I did! They only saw the back of my head so had no reason to perceive anything other that a woman waiting for the next train. But there's some people from whom, if they get a good look at your face, you just can't hide. The thought still gives me the shivers!

As for shouting "Mornington Crescent" on a crowded tube train ... Isn't there a £50 fine for that? (Sorta like activating the alarm without good reason)! Actually, in this case, saying anything that they could have heard would have been a dead giveaway (my voice would be even more recognisable and distinctive to them as theirs were to me).
    **shiver**