Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your profession, skill set or talents help or hinder you in your transition.

Does your profession, skill set or talents help or hinder you in your transition.

I for one can definitely say that my skills and talents as a graphic designer and illustrator give me more confidence when it comes to my transformation. It helps with color schemes, a better fashion sense and when it comes to makeup a lot of patience.

How do you use your skills in making yourself gorgeous?

Platinum Member
    I'm afraid that nothing in my professional skill set as an administrator equips me to be gorgeous...or even not frightening in appearance. I obviously set a lower goal...presentable, not gorgeous.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    My skill set is no help what soever. May be one the reasons I am never satisfied with how I look.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I think it would be a hindrance if I ever wanted to take this farther. Not to many furniture movers I've seen in heels.

As a teacher and trainer my skill set does help some as I have to be able to change my posture and behavior to better suit the needs of the students and or trainees. Often behaving a little (or sometimes a lot) 'over-the-top' goes a long way in getting the kids to relax around a foreigner and enjoy the lesson. I found it also helps me to change my mind set when I come home and get into my comfy clothes.

I work from home so I can dress all day long without issue :-)

The Mad Scientist
    I also work from home, so...yay

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    I've always had a keen attention for detail ...

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    I built a ton of plastic and balsa models when I was young, then years went by, like they do..and now, those learned attributes like patience waiting for glue to set, or taking the time to get the parts painted just right, really carry over into the makeup realm!
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

My old profession really hindered things. I was terrified of exploring who I was because it was such a male-dominated, intolerant industry. It's one of the reasons I got out.
    I'm a girl when I feel like it

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Like you I do design, and also work in the music side of things too...both markets are fairly open, and they def do help the transition, fashin wise, and even makeup wise ( painting lead me to design ) There was a time though ( only a few months) when i was jobless i took a job at a construction site, THAT diddnt help at all, infact I QUIT after a few weeks. I was miserable and it wasnt for me....so I can understand gals who work in those types of enviorments.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I'm a chemist, so the specifics of skin-care products became an instant fascination for me. It must be working as my wife has been commenting on the improvement of my look I both genders.

Silver Member
    Not my current profession. Having been a hairdresser has obviously helped but now I in a situation similar to Aleta male-dominated, intolerant industry that I love doing (don't understand my co-worker but).
    My last two professions fall inline with the extremes of masculinity and femininity within my brain.

Aleta, do you care to say what type of work you did?

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Your subject line mentioned "transition", but your question seems to be about transformation. Transition in our neighborhood is one hell of a lot more than a transformation with a dress, hair, heels, and a little face paint. I've always been handy at fixing and modifying stuff. That skill works well for making apparel made for a woman look reasonably well on my less than shapely body. I can sew, paint, and use tools to style my hair to make a pretty reasonable transformation. I'd need a little more advanced skill set to effect a transition.
    Last edited by Lynn Marie; 10-23-2014 at 01:26 AM.

As Lynn mentioned, you started with transition. I am in my second year of transition, and at my age, I am happy to appear vertical. All I ever wanted from life is acceptance, and now I have it. I am a girl, becoming a woman. Will never make beauty status, but I'm still breathing.

Bobbi

mostly hinder: I repair electromechanical systems, teach electronics and industrial applications, industrial safety inspection. None of these are conducive to crossdressing on the job- it would be a hindrance at this point, even though it would be doable.

From my photo finishing and photography background, i learned a number of elements of style and visual balance, a few model posing tips, and familiarity with cameras so i can take a boatload of pix with the digital, and figure out which looks work for me.

I probably should have been a fashion designer, but I have always fixed things and taught others how to do the same... it's as much a part of me as CD is.

As a psychotherapist (as is my wife) = 100% yes.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Banned Read only
    Isla,
    Thirty years as a professional photographer has given me a great boost in knowing what to put together how to present well, what a difference makeup can have and how hair choice can change a persons face !
    I also found there's no such thing as bad taste, if someone thought they looked great in certain clothing it was up to you to flatter them with it !

I remember a guy some years ago had a family portrait sitting , despite not being requested I always took combinations of parents and children separately, it always doubled their spend afterwards ! On this occasion the father wore a purple blazer ! When they viewed the pictures they made strange complaints ! By then I had enlarged pictures of his sons and a very attractive portrait of his wife on display ! They did admit they were lovely, the bottom line was they hated the purple jacket any picture the father was in was rejected, luckily I persuaded him to remove it half way through ! I bet that jacket went into the rubbish bin after that !!

Silver Member
    Mine is obvious... I have a lot less body hair than I would have otherwise if I had a different profession.

Being upside down in the engine room of a cabin cruiser all covered in grease, certainly is not a place to be wearing a skirt and heels!

The commercial coatings that I apply to the boats that I build need to be thick to do their job...like my makeup! lol
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quite often my fem look turns out to be electrifying but, natural lighting is the best for photos. Whenever I'm in a large facility, I can spot a light out from a mile away and I always know where the restrooms are. The very male uniform I wear is completely opposite of the silky nightie I sleep in every night.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I am a semi retired strength coach, so it hinders me. I still love to straighten with the kids so I am not very femme.
    Dana Fleming

I am Infantry in the Army so it is a constant Hindrance, working out without wantint to get too buff but still be strong, going out is always hard. I guess camo face paint helped with make up haha :P

I'm quite a decent amateur sketch artist (pencil, pastels, etc.) and I'm sure this, along with being reasonably dexterous helps with the facial transformation and a steady hand is good for nail polish. Makeup can be quite artistic and I enjoy getting a new look right and producing something different...

I'm learning more about clothes, colours and outfits - I've picked up lots from here and blogs, although I'm not sure everything I read here I'd want to be too confident about following all the time...

I don't believe my professional skills help as much as my amateur ones... at least when hi-tech product development becomes useful we might have some Stepford CDs around - but I get the feeling there might be some here already...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta