Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your profession, skill set or talents help or hinder you in your transition.

I was trained as and spent many years as a professional actor. One of my gfs on learning this, exclaimed "Oh, thats cheating!" Lol
    And in some ways, yes, it has been a huge help. Makeup, though quite different for stage, has always been pretty familiar to me, and years of movement training make that aspect quite easy as well. Donning countless costumes from every historical period imaginable teaches one to find the movement patterns best suited to that dress and to be totally at ease within that mode. Moreover, a big part of acting is observation...watching how different people act, speak, and move. Also a valuable skill in learning how to "pass". So, in transformation, at least, the answer would be a resounding yes.
    But in transition, if that really is part of the question, the answer is quite different, and the same set of skills that enable me to take on different roles easily has actually made locating an authentic "self" far more challenging. Knowing how to play a part is very tempting but totally wrong in regard to trying to find my own reality. But it is getting easier every day.
    Getting comfortable and happy in my own skin and as myself is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Tee hee Erickka, I can just imagine that!
    As for the original question...
    Profession - I'm an engineer both by nature and by training so I'm always on the lookout for solutions that combine simplicity, elegance and effectiveness. The problems? How to hide arm/leg fur that must not be removed. How to make a rather tubby me appear to have a waist while retaining the ability to breathe! How to make a sows ear look like a silk purse using only makeup!

Skills & abilities - I'm the planner & suitcase-packer in our family - very handy when I need to get all Judith's stuff together in a hurry for a trip.

Oddities? I've never been any good with a paintbrush (art rather than decorating) yet I find that brushes are my tool of choice for applying makeup! Go figure!

As an engineer in the auto repair industry the answer is NO.

Hugs, Bria

Yes .... I am a commercial artist, advertising..of sorts ........... makes color co-ordinating and make-up a lot easier........................ Debra

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    Although I am a nurse now the only help in that is that I work with woman and have close up insight into their styles in hair and make-up. However, in a previous life I was a cosmetic buyer for a large grocery/drug chain and was even sent to cometology classes by my boss. He felt I could not buy correctly if I did not know what and how women used make-up. I had been an amateur artist at the time and when I realized through my classes that make-up skills were similar to what I was applying to paper when doing a portrait it just became so much easier. I was in seventh heaven in those classes and was the only male. I have been applying those skills to this day. That was in 1980 and I have been passing in public ever since.

My greatest skill is my imagination. I use available resources to bring it to reality.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

My professional skills are no help. But I think I have a pretty good sense of imagination and I can see what looks good on a GG. I hope so anyway.

I have some artistic skill since I have an ass. degree in graphic design. I'm good with colors and have the ability to hold an eyeline applicator steady. But, no, I'm not transitioning!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder