Thread: A Nighttime Adventure

A Nighttime Adventure

It was a lovely day today, but it changed a bit once the sun went down.

I was en femme (of course) in a black micro-pleated skirt, 3/4 sleeve blouse with a rather low neckline, and 4-1/2" stiletto heels.

This afternoon we joined Eryn and Mimi for an opera matinee of Carmen. I want to thank them, not only for inviting us, but for the acceptance and confidence they have shown in me since they had additional guests from their work with them.

The opera was very, very well performed, the sets were lovely, and the orchestra was excellent.

Afterwards we all headed for dinner at a very crowded Mexican restaurant. Due to the wait the foursome of their friends decided not to stay, but we were joined by Eryn and Mimi's daughter, my son, and my spouse's cousin who is visiting us. The restaurant was very busy and we had to wait about 45 minutes, the majority of which we were standing because all of the waiting room seats were filled (remember those 4-1/2" heels?).

We enjoyed a wonderful and leisurely dinner. After dinner their daughter left, but the rest of us decided to head to a local frozen yogurt place for dessert. Since it is also a favorite of my best male friend and his wife, one of my best female friends, we gave them a call and they joined us as well. We sat and talked and ate frozen yogurt for about an hour and a half and then we all separated, my spouse and I and her cousin heading off in my car to go home.

Before we headed home we had to mail a couple of letters so we headed for the post office and that's when the problem started. Seems our alternator decided to quit! Everything gave up the ghost right in front of the post office, leaving my car at a 45-degree angle in the mall roadway. Dead!

We called the auto club and they dispatched a tow truck. On the phone I still sound rather masculine, so I got "Sir'ed." Since I haven't yet updated my auto club card it still has my male name on it anyway.

They told me to have my membership card and photo ID ready for the tow truck operator. Remember, I'm en femme, which is fine, especially since my driver's license now has my female name and gender. Fortunately, there is a loophole. I've kept my male name as my new middle name so presumably my auto club card could be in my middle name, no?

But there was still a problem. We had three people and the tow truck can only take two. So it was time to call my best male friend back since he lives nearby and ask him if he would come to the post office and drive us home. He consented.

When the tow truck arrived I introduced myself as Barbara and he glanced at my card and ID, probably just to be sure I had a card, and towed us to my mechanic.

The tow truck took the car, my friend took the three of us, and we all went to the mechanic's shop.

The mechanic also has a service station that is open until midnight, so I could have the car delivered and still leave instructions for the mechanic, as well as the key. Fortunately, my mechanic only knows me en femme so I was able to fill out the paperwork using my female name and not causing any strange thoughts on the part of the attendant.

After a "Thank You" and a tip to the tow truck driver, my friend drove us home.

I guess that when you are out you have to be prepared for anything and everything.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Some of your unintended adventures are amazing, e.g. the motor home breakdown as well. You seem to have a very good "do not panic" mode.

Platinum Member
    Hi Barb, When life hands you lemons you always seam to be able to make lemon aid.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Reality Check
    Yes, be prepared for anything. I was out dressed one day and as I pulled into the mall parking lot I heard that dreaded "thump thump" of a flat tire. I pulled into a spot and got out and looked but none of the tires were flat. Closer inspection revealed a rather large piece of plastic from a sign that had gotten stuck in the tire tread. I was able to pull it out and continue on my way.

Another time I was driving at night on a dark country road and almost hit a guy on a bicycle riding on the wrong side of the road (facing me). That would have been hard to explain, especially after it hit the TV news.

Platinum Member
    A really nice night, with a little off note. Sorry bout the alternator problem. As you may recall I've had two somewhat similar experiences while traveling en femme, one with a flat on a UHaul trailer...no spare! And the other an electrical problem. I was pleased that I was treated courteously on both occassions.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Nice story Barb - you do have some exciting times...

If the tow truck guy had seen your conflicting names, genders and IDs, he might have thought he had another type of 'alternator' problem... (Sorry - that was begging to be said... )

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I learned after my very first time out to ALWAYS have a change bag with me whenever I have been out since. Your situation is very different from Mine though Glad all worked out and you weren't stranded, those heels would have killed your feet had you had to walk home from there.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Nice story Barb - you do have some exciting times...

If the tow truck guy had seen your conflicting names, genders and IDs, he might have thought he had another type of 'alternator' problem... (Sorry - that was begging to be said... )

Katey x
    Katey, did you REALLY have to?!

Barb, nice one! You certainly know how to keep your head in a "situation"!

It sounds like your evening didn't go nearly as bad as it could have if you weren't properly prepared, and had a friend that could pick you up! I'm glad it all worked out!

Hugs, Bria

You certainly are unflappable

Barbara,

I am having my own little private laugh.

I can really visualise this one.

Glad it turned out good though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.