Thread: Traveling en femme?

Traveling en femme?

So, the first weekend in December I'm going home to Massachusetts to tell the last family members that I'm transgender. Was thinking of traveling en femme. I'm leaving from Fort Lauderdale and flying into Hartford Springfield. For those who travel like this all the time, my question is: have any of you flown through the cities? Where there any problems? And does anybody have any experience with JetBlue? This would be my first time traveling as a woman, and I'd like to know what i'm getting into. Any info any of you can offer would be a great help.

Any advice from any of you who have traveled pretty would be a big help as well. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

While I have never "traveled pretty" - I know of someone who has. She has a fantastic blog which will lays everything out.

http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2...ly-pretty.html

I flew to Atlanta for SCC and had no problems. It was fun. :-)
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

I am hoping I can get Kim to chat with me on Facebook and pick her brain on the subject. I think I'm most nervous about security.

Peace

Talk to Kimberley. She's a lovely person and she's been everywhere (at least that's how it feels from her blog).

You should also review the TSA web site just to know what the rules really are, just in case someone is in the mood to bust your nuts.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

It is really just a matter of your comfort level. You don't say whether you have any ID with your girl pic on it. Be prepared to answer,if asked,"Why are you doing this?" There are no built in trip ups on your route, Enjoy your experiences!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I have flew 4 times now as Suzanne. I have a male id and I have never even been questioned about it. That includes flying into Louisville KY. They know about us and have been trained to act professionally. If you wear forms be prepared to be taken aside for a pat down. You can do it! Hold your head up high and own it!
    Suzanne

I haven't travelled in the US but in Australia I've flown a few times gendered female. Staff have been great at all steps every time, I've not yet been taken aside for extra security despite wearing forms. The last time the lady who helped me check in asked whether I would be preferred to be addressed gender female or male as she could make a note on the booking. So basically not had any problems. Dress sensibly, no stiletto's, if your wearing a skirt or dress make sure it is just above the knee etc. Oh, and reasonably comfortable, trust me, you don't want to wear a corset on a plane!

Here's the TSA website: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nder-travelers

The number one rule is use you real name that 100% matches your I.D. Have a little humor ready when you present your I.D., letting them know that you understand that you look a little different than ten photo, but that it's really you.

Be calm. Dress comfortably for the flight, esp. including shoes that are comfortable and that come off easily for the security drill. Kim's advice is all it took to give me the courage to do it, and I love doing it.

Also, if you get a few stares, don't hesitate to stare back. Most people will then look away.

Have fun with it.

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Some good advice here. I really want to do this, the only thing holding me back is TSA. I don't really care about stares or people just don't get it.

Peace

In my single experience Catherine, the TSA were no problem. The young man was professional and respectful, knew my ID was male but still addressed me with female pronouns etc and gave me no grief at all. I was prepared for a pat down and to remove my wig if need be, but was simply waved through. It was a total non event. :-) I was prepared with a letter from my therapist but it was never needed.
    I did make sure to remove all jewelry etc and place it all in my purse before getting in the security line, to save inconvenience. All in all it was a very good experience.
    I hope you have the same. I am sure you will. Take an ipod and enjoy the flight!
    Make sure to let us all know how it turns out!
    Hugs
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Catherine View Post
    Some good advice here. I really want to do this, the only thing holding me back is TSA. I don't really care about stares or people just don't get it.
    As others have said, the TSA agents should not be a problem. Most, if not all of them know about transgenders and take it in stride. As long as you use your regular ID there should be no problem. When I've flown pretty (or at least dressed) I've had no issues. Sometimes my hip pads will trigger a patdown, but it's always been done by a female agent who was very courteous. Interestingly, if I'm in drab but wearing a bra, that has triggered patdowns. I guess they expect women to wear bras but not men .

However, there are the long lines in the ladies' rooms at the ATL airport ... and the looks of the waitresses when they check my ID if I order a glass of wine. Oh well, just part of the fun....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I have flown pretty on 3 roundtrips going to and back from Chicago, Seattle and Oakland without any major problems from TSA. About half the time I did get a patdown which was done by a female agent. I do wear breast.forms and they have not been a problem. Also, the airlines have not been a problem either.

I have included a link where I posted on my first trip flying pretty.
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...t=#post3494114
    Last edited by grace7777; 10-26-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Banned Read only
    The airlines and TSA are aware of transgendered people flying. As many have said, use your real ID and everything will be ok. You might get a pat down but that is to be expected in this day and age. The only thing holding you back are your own nerves. Besides, if you happen to get a TSA person that doesn't know, think how you can educate them. What a day it will be for you, fly pretty and educate someone all in one trip. Remarkable day!

I travel enfem all the time and have flown Jet Blue. I have never had an issue with TSA and my male name on my passport. As to Jet Blue I had a great time talking to the flight attendants. To them I was just another women traveling for business.

Richelle

Kara Zor-El
    I travel for my job frequently and have flown most airlines, and although I do not always travel pretty, I typically under-dress and even when noticed I never had an issue from TSA. If you have any of the pre-check or expedited lines available, I would recommend those as the security is less invasive and easier.

Thanks for all the info on the TSA. I really appreciate it. And, Richelle, thanks for the info on JetBlue. Good to know.

Peace

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    I have flown en femme a half dozen times, Ohare, Austin, Orlando, Denver and have never had one problem. The screeners have been professional and always pleasant. I wear almost always open toed sandals and the last two times did not have to remove them. As for forms, I don't use them so don't know how that would go, pretty sure that they can tell when you go through the ex-ray and probably nothing to worry about. All in all you should expect no problems. Good luck!!!
    I want to be this girl!