Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your style?

Whats your style?

So, I have thought about this a couple of times and wondered how others feel. Obviously, women dress in many styles, and for different occasions. But each of us, male and female, has a personal style...favourite looks, types of clothing, tastes, comfort levels and so on. Some men wear suits from Sears while others insist on designer names, or are content in a gimme cap, baggy jeans and oversized tshirt while others insist on tailored chinos, designer jeans etc,. In the same way, some women buy their clothing at Walmart while others shop only high end designers. Some are happy as clams dressed in basic stuff and others go for trendy or haute couture. And then there are the younger looks...biker, rocker, steam punk, hipster, grunge etc Some are perfectly content in looks not out of place in a small rural town while others need Fifth Ave.
    For me, my style as a woman is pretty much just an outgrowth of the same types of things I went to before as male...casual rocker stuff for everyday (tight jeans, leather jackets), but more designer/NY when I clean up (at least thats the intent...lol...whether I pull it off or not...haha)
    So, just for fun, what is your style, and is it different when dressed male than when dressed female? Are you trendy? Square? Conservative? High fashion? Prefer business wear, pencil skirts, heels and blazers or are you more flowery dresses and flats? Are you happy with JCP or do you demand Ralph Lauren. BCBG or Guess? Proper or something trashy. And is your style consistant? Do you even have a style? And for those where this applies...is it the same or different when you go from boy mode to girl mode?
    There are no wrong answers...lol
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

I do vintage dresses, for the most part. Mid-70s to about the mid-90s. Skirts, sweaters, and blouses to a lesser degree. I always wear hosiery, and I love tasteful jewelry as well. It' pretty simple, really.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Honestly, I don't think it's really that definitive for me, being a (still) largely closet dresser... definitely more on the casual side of things but I do have just one ball gown that is nagging for an outing sometime - hopefully before I'm too decrepit...

So, realistically (and as evidenced by my only excursion) I'd want my casual look to be: Sophisticated Tramp

And at the smart end of things I'd aim for: Intellectual Glam

Problem is... I suspect it's all likely to come out more as: Eighties Hasbeen

But hey! You only live once...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Katey...how does your femme style compare to you boi mode? Similar tastes or different?

I guess really my mood determines what I like in my dressing. Sometimes I go full blown trashy some times it's stylish Sunday go to meeting dresses. I can be happy with garters, hose and heels. Some days I would prefer panty hose. Like I say it is kinda my mood that day. If I'm out at the farm working it's definitely not a dress time but have underdressed with Walmart brand panties and panty hose in cooler months. I have a few dresses from Ross, some bras from Lane Bryant, and panties from Walmart. Have a dress from Dillard's and a pair of heels I bought at the mall in a shoe store. Don't guess I am just one type of gal. I have no shame so wear anything I dang want to. Now makeup I'm only a Revlon gal.

Platinum Member
    Probably something casual, but neat, along the lines of what you would have found at Coldwater Creek. I love sweaters with slacks or skirts.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Talking Skirts and Dresses

I like maxi skirts and dresses. I also wear sweaters, pullovers and heels. I have added scarves to my wardrobe.
    Always wear earrings.

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

I can be trashy around home. at the moment it is boots and figure hugging jeans, something practical for the colder weather.
    I do like short skirts and leggings with short boots in this weather.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha rogers View Post
    Katey...how does your femme style compare to you boi mode? Similar tastes or different?
    Sorry Sammie - missed that bit... pretty much the same actually... I can swing a good suit and tie when necessary, but every other time is as casual as can be... I once worked with a US ex-pat executive who had worked for Levi-Strauss before I knew him - this guy wore a decent jacket, shirt, tie AND LEVIS EVERYWHERE! Quite a character... That's the type of style I'd like to emulate...

So yeah - I'm still an Eighties Hasbeen in boy mode... but some styles never get old, even if they're bad to start with..

Katey x

For work, my male style is the same, light make up, tight jeans, cowgirl boots, My dressy style is dresses, skirts and tops from wal-mart, I do have few VS dresses and on VS skirt. Would have the high end, if I could afford it.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    what I'm going for: elegant, classy with a small side order of sexy
    what I think I look like: hot librarian
    what I actually look like (or so I've been told): pastor's wife

and that's pretty much the style I tend toward in boy mode too, except I'm going for more "tech rock star" but I'm winding up more "high school geometry teacher", rofl.
    not enough makeup in the world to keep the nerd from showing through apparently :-)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

I like to go for the schoolgirl look when I CD. Short skirt, knee high or thigh high socks, and a tight top.
    I only dress up liek that inthe comfort of my own home though

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    right now I am going thru my Art School Girl Dropout phase, which really isnt all that different from my guy mode either....
    Attached Images Attached Images

For me it's mostly casual to "business casual" and sometimes as a friend called it "Corporate Naughty"...LOL...I love that.
    That doesn't mean that I don't Glam Up when the occasion presents itself.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    I love 1950's big skirts, petticoats, nylons, heels and all the trappings. I want to look like a girl!

When I was working I was pretty buttoned-up with dark suits and white shirts. But I always tried to wear a bright colored tie or one with a great pattern. Anne loves to wear classic looks but also loves bright colored tops, sweaters or skirts. So I guess, we are really one in the same. What a surprise.

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    ACCESORIES! A girl has to accessorize!

I guess I dress age appropriatly or conservative , knee length,, luv my 3in heels! construction worker for the other side

Vs/express/Venus clothing. Usually pick from mannequins

But that is kind of what I meant, Karen. Age appropriate probably means something different to my aunt in Springfield, Illinois (if I had one) than it would to a wealthy woman living in Scarsdale and something different again to a dance instructo in San Francisco. And how is your perception of this colored or similar to or different from the way you think about dressing as a guy?
    I figure the way I now dress as a woman reflects a similar of sense of style to what I had before as a guy. In other words, before I started down this road, as the guy I used to be, I would have been attracted to a woman that dressed the way I now try to dress. But I know that isnt always the case for others.
    I guess I am really asking two or three different questions here...lol

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    En femme, it's dresses, hose and heels, always. Not as concerned about labels as what looks good on me, and what I can get for cheap on eBay My guy self likes to be casual but I also really enjoy a smart suit, sharp tie and jaunty pocket square. If my office was formal, I would have no problem complying. And fedoras - I'm a real hat guy
    Last edited by Julie Denier; 10-24-2014 at 07:51 PM.

I would love to have Robin Wright's (House of Cards) wardrobe
    - Claire

The Mad Scientist
    I think my style is maturing. I still have a passion for satin

Platinum Member
    Hi Samantha, With three closets full I can be almost any style that I want.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

^^^I would so love Robin Wright's wardrobe in House of Cards as well. I am a high fashion girl all the way through. I am BBW so I have been buying Lane Bryant dresses recently on ebay. My wife has numerous designer handbags that I can use and I have a ton of designer shoes. My motto has always been one can wear an inexpensive dress but with classy shoes and you are in it to win it. I have a few pair of Brian Atwood heels and will have some Louboutins soon. Oh, yeah. I just discovered INC from Macy's which is a nice line. I have a INC. LBD that I look super sexy in.
    I am an Artist working in all Mediums including Sexy