Thread: Bible Belt

Bible Belt

I live in the "Bible Belt" and attend church regularly. Typically the ladies that attend church dress very femininely. Today the lady in the pew in front of me had on a very stylish dress. It was red/white patterned and scooped in the back with a big bow. Her shoes were white calf skin. I wanted to tap her on the shoulder and ask her where she purchased that lovely item. As she was a litle tall, I think the outfit would have fit me. Of course I would have worn black patent sling back heels with this lovely dress!
    Love, Sabrina

I would have asked her "May I ask where you found that dress? It looks fantastic on you and I have a friend in Savannah that would love it!" Might have worked.
    "Normal is just an illusion, what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Addams

Silver Member
    You don't ask people that you don't know where they buy their clothes without appearing unusual and perhaps invasive.

You can also say "that's a very nice outfit you have on, my wife would kill for one like that! Lol

I had a similar experience last January. I was in church and a lady in the pew in front of me had the most beautiful black patent leather pumps with gold toes that I couldn't keep my eyes off . I wish that I could have had the courage to ask her where she got them.

Reality Check
    Shouldn't you have been listening to the "word of God" and not examining other people's clothes? (I'm just messing with you).

Heather, that is why you should compliment them first. It makes it much easier to get them to talk about themselves if you stroke their ego. Using the words "may i ask" also puts them at ease. I've been using those little nuances for years and they usually work.
    "Normal is just an illusion, what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Addams

Kara Zor-El
    First, I think we would have to see the dress to assess if the change in shoes is right...just kidding! I had a co-worker who once wore one of those cute professional dresses, very feminine, and I kind of used the approaches below by complimenting her and the outfit and telling her it was for a "friend." Of course, I did know her pretty well so it was a little easier for me to ask. It it was someone I didn't really know I probably would not have asked.

By the way, so glad I'm not the only one distracted by noticing clothes at church!

I think the comment and "if I could ask where" approach would work well. I used to have a co worker that I was constantly asking; "Do you think they would have it in my size?" But, then again she was my confident and knew of my dressing and helped me pick out things.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Hugs,

Carla

http://flickr.com/photos/carla4guage/

I have felt like that on occasions, but not down south where you are.
    I have had the reverse recently, people admiring my boots, and I have been in drab!
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 10-30-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Isn't there anyting in the Bible about not wearing white shoes after Labor Day?

Platinum Member
    Hi Sabrina, So few women dress nicely for church anymore.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Poo. I was waiting to read that she turned around and turned out to be a CD