Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not crossdressing on Halloween? What's that you say?

Genderfluid Swiftie DanielleLee's Avatar

Not crossdressing on Halloween? What's that you say?

So after much internal debate... I've decided to not wear a female costume this Halloween. Initially, I was going to go as Dorothy to go with my wife's "Sultry Scarecrow", to a neighbor's party. I live, more or less, in a DADT/Undressing only situation... so the fact my wife was encouraging of "Dorothy" was awesome in and of itself. Not that I think it would lead to anymore dressing for me... but just the fact that she was willing to go along with it for even one evening meant a lot to me.

In the end though, I decided that I knew she would be uncomfortable. I don't do the funny, look at the guy in a dress thing. I try to look my best and when I do, its obvious that it's not my first rodeo or excursion with cross dressing. I know she would be worrying about what others were thinking all night and she wouldn't enjoy herself because of that. Also, the party is child friendly and all of our kids will be around, including my 13 yr. old son and his girlfriend. Although my son would be "okay" with me in a costume (he's seen me before on Halloween) he is in Junior High now. JH is awkward enough as it is, without having to worry about being labeled as a kid of a cross dresser (to say nothing of presenting en femme and meeting his GF for the first time, LOL)

So to all, I do hope you get to enjoy yourselves and your parties if you attend any. To the GGs.... please remember that we can put your needs in front of our own when we need to.

Most importantly, I hope everyone has a safe Holiday no matter how they dress! If you have a party, be safe and have a plan to get home if you do drink. (Fortunately, I just have to walk across the court )

Danielle Lee

Is it obligatory? ")
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    So far I have no place to go for Halloween, so it's likely I'll just be my normal guyself answering the door for the 3 or 4 groups of trick-or-treaters who come down the dark lane to my house.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Is it obligatory? ")
    Just want everyone to be safe and have fun is all :-)

I haven't had the chance to visit any fancy dress party dressed as a woman and I don't have any experience with DADT relationships, but my prime concern would be looking 'too good' for the occasion. I'm not saying that my presentation is flawless, but like everyone else here I surely look like I had a fair bit of practice.

So the obvious solution is to deliberately suck at it and leave all the proper padding, shoes, beard cover, etc. etc. at home, but I'm way too vain for that. Your thoughts?

LOL.... yeah, that's kind of the issue. I don't believe in doing anything half way. So yes the solution is right, I've just never been able to bring myself to do that.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 10-28-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: no need to quote whole post above yours

There was a Halloween party about 6 years ago where I tried in earnest to get my wife on board to "let" me go in female costume. She didn't budge and at the end of the day it was the right decision. Not being my first rodeo either could have been problematic and like you said, sometimes her being comfortable is more important. Good decision on your part.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member
    I know Halloween is a big costume party night for many. For whatever reason, it's never been something I've participated in. I always thought of it as a night for children to dress up, not adults. So, I'll be handing out candy till it runs out.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I'm with Kim on this. It just seems a bit odd to be Tina as a goof, which she is not. If I were to go there, it would have to be an over-the-top kind of presentation, almost as if Tina were dressing for Halloween, not my male self dressing for Halloween.

I figure I'll dress up as a 67 year old Grandpa.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I won't be dressing as except as Kate says we grandpas have too many Grandkids that love tricking us and we love treating them. Will make a bag each of them as they come by....

Reality Check
    I would like to have gone out with my wife as Krisi. Not to a party or where people would know us, but maybe to one of the bars or clubs downtown having a Halloween dress up night. I wouldn't enter a contest or anything, just be Krisi but among people in costume and dressing up. I might be taken for a woman, I might be taken for a guy in costume. No matter.

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. We have a puppy who gets upset when people walk in front of the house or ring the doorbell so we will be off to a spot with peace and quiet.

I dress in costume the rest of the year, so I am not going to make fun of the real me for one day.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I figure that if I were to dress for Halloween, then it would be for the sole purpose of coming out to everyone, work included, as that is really the only place I have to go to dressed at. And I don't think I want that. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Also, I am not a costume. So if I were to dress up in a fem manner for Halloween it would have to be something like a fem zombie or something similar. Honestly, with being out pretty much 80-100% of my personal life, I have no need/desire to dress for Halloween.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleLee View Post
    .... I try to look my best and when I do, its obvious that it's not my first rodeo or excursion with cross dressing. I know she would be worrying about what others were thinking all night ...
    Yes! And this will be true at every Halloween party on the planet earth. Go out and have fun but unless you look like a joke, you are outing yourself. People will talk. You don't have to care but you are not flying under the radar.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 10-27-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    So I am going to wade in here. I don't dress for Halloween as anything and haven't since I was 12 and was forced to do it then. For what ever reason I've never gotten a thrill out of the whole thing. My kids always got a big kick out of it and still do, and I went along them and helped them decorated and the whole bit but I never dressed up. We hand out candy and enjoy seeing the kids dressed up, but as for adults dressing up and the parties it's just not for me.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I never dress on Hallowen,` is allergy season for me and I don't know what I hate most the allergies or the side effects of the medicine

It's a shame you won't be dressing up Danielle,going as Dorothy would have been fun .Couldn't you just do a great job with the costume and say your wife did it all for you ? Anyway at least the offer was there which seems quite positive to me.Halloween isn't very big here in New Zealand so no dressing up for me.

A few quick clarifications and I'll be own my way...
    1) First and foremost, I certainly intended no disrespect to the TS members of the forum.
    2) Halloween is an occasion that can be celebrated by any age. It's celebrated by "costume" wearing. Dressing up and pretending to be someone you're not. I'm obviously not a fictional, farm girl from Kansas.
    3) To the grandpa's on the thread, hope you have fun with your grandkids
    4) Barbara... I do hope you start to feel better and the allergy season is quick.
    5) Jennifer... Ummm, thanks? I had no idea

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Everyday is halloween...so its no biggie....still a fun time though....i will be working that night.....bling bling

Silver Member
    You could even look at dressing for Halloween if you are a crossdresser, as the one day you go as something male.
    Also is dressing in a female costume for Halloween somewhat counter-productive to our goal of acceptance of CDing as the norm/acceptable everyday behavior?
    I'm not criticizing those who do it, heck I did it for years, it was just a thought that came to me as I read this thread.

What do others think about this idea?

No parties here this year. I am going hunting!

I have no plans for Halloween again this year, but one of my friends wants to see me in a cop costume that I got a couple years ago. So I do get to dress up this year after all, just in drab!!!

To add a twist to what Crissy Kay said....you could go as a female cop. Just a thought.

The last time I dressed up around Halloween was I think in the early nineties. It was as a 'French maid'. Not my choice as it was an office event and all the guys in the office wore the same outfit. I did enjoy it though and received lots of compliments about my legs and I overheard someone say that I 'looked the part'.

Since then I've never been invited to a Halloween party and have never dressed up as anything at all. It's a pity really.

This year I'm going to my sister's with the kids. She lives in a village outside the city where they organise a little event every year. A party for the kids and then trick or treating followed by a gathering by a bonfire (traditional in Ireland) and fireworks (even though they are illegal).

No dressing up for me I'm afraid.