Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mainstream acceptance: 1 thing?

Mainstream acceptance: 1 thing?

I was in my local supermarket this afternoon, wearing ladies boot cut jeans and booties with 2" heels, when the following question popped into my mind:

What one thing or item would you like to have mainstream society accept men wearing?

Women can wear mens'-style suits, loafer-style shoes, go without make-up, "boyfriend" shirts. There was this article last week: http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2...-load-of-pants

Now this does raise the question of whether you would want that acceptance.

Skirts or dresses.
    "Normal is just an illusion, what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Addams

Eyeshadow...

I could play with eyeshadow forever... so many variations, so many options, so much fun!

And I could still be lazy and drab with the rest of the clobber...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I'd go with eyeshadow as well..
    Just can't understand the idea of a man wearing a skirt or high heels with guy clothes..
    My ideal circumstance is totally dressed as a woman, and passing as such!.. or at least trying very hard!
    "If it feels good.. - Wear it"!

I'd love to able to wear lipstick all the time, a different colour for a different mood

Just can't understand the idea of a man wearing a skirt or high heels with guy clothes..
    Well, my question is based on the premise that it is not seen as unacceptable or strange for men to wear stilettos with a suit (women do it all the time), or wear a dress suit.

T-shirts with comic book characters. Don't get me wrong, I like my shirts and suits, but every now and then I just want to be able to go to a business meeting and wear something more laid-back

I'm really not interested in wearing skirts, dresses, makeup, etc. in 'guy mode'. I don't want to look like a guy in women's clothing, I want to look like a woman in women's clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Kristen View Post
    Well, my question is based on the premise that it is not seen as unacceptable or strange for men to wear stilettos with a suit (women do it all the time), or wear a dress suit.
    I realized that after reading the 'quote', but even though women do it, I really don't see a place or time that it will be accepted in the mainstream for guys! Just IMHO, of course..
    "If it feels good.. - Wear it"!

What one thing or item would you like to have mainstream society accept men wearing?
    Nothing. Guys are fine just the way they are.

Ask "mainstream society" guys and they give no thought to the fact there are no dresses in their closets, no high heels on their shoes, no makeup in their morning repertoire. Not only are they all good with it but they are fully capable of looking the part of the kind of dude they want to portray without worrying about femininity invading their wardrobes or shaving kit.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Women can wear mens'-style suits, loafer-style shoes, go without make-up, "boyfriend" shirts.
    I think there's a difference between women's and men's suits, to use your first example. I looked up pin-striped suits to show you.

Women's: http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/ede07b65...2bedfe3eae.jpg

Men's: http://www.honeybuy.com/image/Black_...2085559888.jpg

There's a world of difference between the two, and if that female model were to walk around town wearing the suit that the male model wears, people would think she was odd. So it's not really true that women can wear men's things.

To your question, we've had many threads about how CDers on this site would react to wearing "man skirts". These "man skirts" take an item that has traditionally been designed for women, and adapt it to make it suitable for men by masculinizing it. (Which is the same thing as the pin-stripe suit above. They took what was originally an outfit designed for men, and they feminized it for women).

Anyway, most members here have said they do NOT want to wear skirts that are acceptable for men to wear, they actually want to wear the versions that are sold to females. For reference, here's the wiki article with pics on skirts for men: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_skirts

The article's title, "Why Women Are Buying Men's Underwear" is misleading. A few paragraphs down they say that women buy them for the men in their lives. I can't imagine a woman who is not F2M, wanting all that extra fabric out front where she doesn't need it.

But they do have a great idea! I'd love to have underwear that are long like some of the men's briefs. They show a feminine version in black lace, for women. This would totally eliminate panty-lines! As to the nude, comfy-looking underwear for women further down, I wouldn't wear them. They have two totally unnecessary seams in the front just to make them look like men's underwear, that might show through if I were wearing tight slacks. Who wants seams there?
    Reine

for me it would be shorts...

Banned Read only
    I would argue that if mainstream society completely accepted some item as for both men and women, cross dressers would not want to wear it. If a cross dresser is not "cross dressing" by wearing some particular item, then that item is of no importance.

As a man I am quite happy, I just want to wear it all as a woman.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    Purses.

Pockets just ain't cutting it.

Leggings. The most comfortable thing I wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    I would argue that if mainstream society completely accepted some item as for both men and women, cross dressers would not want to wear it.
    Jeans are the exception I think. Not my cup of tea, but I see that they are popular here.

What's the point in having one thing be acceptable if you can't have the rest?
    That's not acceptance....

....That is ​permission.
    Samantha -x-

The Guardian article was interesting but it seems to ignore the fact that 'boypants' have been around for a while. I wear some daily, complete with lines Reine!. They are clearly derived from male underwear and are most comfortable which is why they're popular obviously.

As for some female clothes becoming mainstream male. I think it does happen. Remember the eighties? I wore tight lycra jeans along with everyone else back then. Mainstream then, not now. Men's underwear too. It's perfectly acceptable to wear pants that are to all intents nearly identical to women's. All my male underwear was like that. In fact I suspect those are the exact types women in the Guardian article buy.

I think though if something is mainstream then wearing it is not crossdressing anymore thus less interesting to the average CD.

It is possible though to wear entirely male clothes that present a feminine look. Gay guys do it all the time. I even accidentally managed it a couple of times. It's not crossdressing but close.

Platinum Member
    I guess quite honestly that I would prefer to be accepted as a woman, rather than as a man wearing a particular thing.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The thing that I would like to have society accept is not a garment. It's an attitude, a way of life, an expression of the "ME" that lives inside me.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Many good points made here and I agree that it would be nice to be able to wear whatever we felt comfortable in. However that really won't happen very soon.
    As far as one female thing that I would like to able to use as a male, it would be make-up. Maybe not all out, such as mascara and eyeliner (not that I would be adverse), but a little foundation and powder just to even out the coloring and hide the dark spots. A neutral eyeshadow would be nice also. Just like women why shouldn't a man be able to look a their best.
    Another thing that I would like to see a little acceptance for men is being able to wear a bra if it's really needed. I can wear a 40 c cup with out enhancements and there are times when I could use the support. However to wear one as a male is asking for problems.

If I could wear one thing with out any repercussions, comments, or insults it would be long polished nails, any color you want!
    It sure is fun to fantasize isn't it? But Smile is right, that would just be getting permission, and what would be really great, is to not need permission.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Nail polish (other than my toes which are colored 24/7) Or any makeup - why should GG's be the only ones that can attempt to hide the dark circles under their eyes :-)
    Andrea
    One body, two spirits

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001834525065
    Feel free to send me a FaceBook friend request.

Everything is not what it seems
    When you can get all you wanted in your wildest dreams
    You might run into trouble if you go to extremes
    Because everything is not what it seems

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaYVR View Post
    Jeans are the exception I think. Not my cup of tea, but I see that they are popular here.
    But Angela, we all know the difference between women's jeans and men's. They are not the same.

Heels as long as they looked like the ones we wear now. I don't care if they are labeled for men or women but they have to look like the ones I have. Some heels look nice with men's pants but I could be biased hehe