Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Called out an idiot

Called out an idiot

I've just got back from a Goth weekend at Whitby (anyone else there?) and had a great time en femme. One night though I was in a pub returning from the ladies when I felt someone tug at my wig. Luckily I had pinned it on, sometimes I don't, and it stayed in place. I turned around and asked the bloke what he was doing and got the reply "I wanted to see if it was a wig". I then asked if he would have done this to a woman and he apologised. Walking away I felt quite good for challenging him but can see how a woman might be scared to. Got talking later to a girl who was with him, apparently he's nervous in social situations!
    Didn't let it spoil the evening and weekend.
    "Slipping into stockings, stepping into shoes"
    The shortness of life prevents us from entertaining far-off hopes. From Horace’s Odes, Book 1,4

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    who does that?? .....good for you. ...

I'm wondering how many shiners this guy gets for being "nervous".
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Wonder what would have happened if you reached between his legs and asked "I was checking if it was real"
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

How rude is that!

I think you handled it very well, Stella - Nervous...? My...

As you say, it does bring home how females feel even if they're unlikely to be treated the same way...

I'd have liked to have rapped my knuckles on his forehead and said "Just wanted to see if it sounded as hollow as it obviously is..." <grrrr> (I'd have liked to, but I'd probably just squeal instead... )

I'm sure there were some other members who were doing the Goth weekend... Shouldn't that have been a Ostrogoth Weekend, Whitby being on the east coast...?

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Platinum Member
    The term socially inappropriate came to mind...I hope his girlfriend gave him heck when they went home!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Since it was your saving grace, how do you pin your wig on? Bobby pins or…? Yes, some are just socially inept and can't help it, others are AAAholes!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Platinum Member
    Hi Stella, You handled that jerk nicely, he may think twice the next time.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    What a cave man . Who would think that was acceptable, and who would assume that the recipient of that kind of activity wouldn't respond in kind in some way, or worse?

The words "socially inept" comes to mind!

What do you pin a wig to?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Wonder what would have happened if you reached between his legs and asked "I was checking if it was real"
    Haha you won the internets today

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    When he's "nervous" he confronts people!?

Another reason why I hate going out drssed. U NEVER KNOW what kind of idiot you'll run into. Add booze? And, it COULD get very nasty!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar
    Holy crap!! That is one of my greatest fears when dressed... Someone pulling my wig off!
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

About as good of a response as one could have in that situation!

Some of the suggestions made in this thread seemed to be aimed at escalating the situation. People who suggest things like that do not have your best interests in mind. Take the high road.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Sometimes a strong knee between the legs.......
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hell-o Stella,
    I'm with Eryn, getting violent would have instantly turned you
    into the idiot in this situation. You handled this quite tactfully.
    Had it gone any further though ....... Sorry Eryn!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    nervous in social situations? how bout stupid in social situations, that is something a child would do.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Stella,

Nervous in social situations . . . my a##. The guy sounds like a jerk but you handled with grace and poise. I hope it did not ruin your night.

Hugs

Isha

Good on you Stella, nice come back. He was a jerk, the girl with him should have said something.
    Glad you had a good weekend anyway.

Who does what he did??? Even someone socially nervous has absolutely no right to touch someones hair and yank on it. My wife wears wigs due to complications from her brain surgeries. Had someone done that to her especially if it came off, it would break her heart to have people see what her head really looks like. What a complete idiot. Stella you handled it very well.

Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Daniella Argento
    That is an awful experience for anyone to go through, whether it is natural hair (OUCH), a wig, a GG or a crossdresser/TG...
    That kind of jerk deserves to be put in his place, but you handled that very well.

Some men are TOTAL JERKS in social situations... They seem to think it is ok to be nasty to women just because they can get away with it.
    It seems some people may never outgrow the adolescent mind set...

Well done on your actions.
    Don't let the odd jerk get you down.
    xx

The thing I wonder about is the fact that women wear wigs too. And what is beneath them? Just more shorter hair usually. Frankly it would not have been any worse than any other lady losing her wig which by itself is bad.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Just makes me glad I'm wearing my own hair a not a wig!

Hugs, Bria

Banned Read only
    Geez, what a spaz! I think you showed remarkable restraint. With a lot of people, his next experience would be a knee in the jewels or 8 pounds of hand bag up side the head...

I'm jealous that you got to go to Whitby, I've been wanting to go for years now. If you're ever there and run into a group of Americans from Baltimore, say hi! They're my friends and they go every year!

Also, it's pretty crappy that he was willing to risk YOUR embarrassment for his little experiment. I'm not sure why he thought that pulling at it was less risky than just asking.