Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 things I'd wish I'd known sooner about crossdressing

10 things I'd wish I'd known sooner about crossdressing

This week has been awesome. I spent Sunday in San Francisco with Allie and Kim bumming around town and seeing the city, plus having a wonderful dinner. I've spent the rest of this week transforming into Jennifer almost the second I get home and hitting up stores and restaurants. Today I realized when I looked in the mirror I actually LIKE my makeup job, I look like I have real breasts, and I just feel comfortable in women's clothing.

It wasn't always this way, and I know there are lots of crossdressers on the forums that could learn from all the dumb mistakes I made. So, without further ado, here are the ten things I wish I knew when I first started crossdressing:

1. It doesn't go away. I tried so hard to quit. I purged multiple times. I dumped everything. I beat myself up about it. But the desire doesn't fade. You can fight it, but it'll just make you mad. I found it much more healthy to accept crossdressing and put limits on it. For me, my rules were home was off limits so that my family could always have Dad. Knowing when I could and couldn't crossdress gave my life a lot of balance.

2. If you're overweight, use crossdressing to slim down. I hated having to shop in the women's section. I would see a cute dress and realize it was a size 16...so close, yet so far away. I'd always struggled with my weight, but crossdressing finally got me to knuckle down and lose weight. I realized that while I regularly worked out, I ate a ton, and a lot of it was just social. I would eat whatever was put in front of me because it was there. So I started pushing food away. I also took gracinia cambogia to help cut my cravings. I asked my wife to make me smaller meals. I deliberately wouldn't take cash to work so that I would only eat my packed lunch and not buy snacks. All of that worked, and I went from 225 to 175. I used to be a size 20, but today I found I can now fit in a size 14.

3. When you shop, say it's for you. I struggled with this. I always used to lie and say "Oh, it's for my wife." Thinking back, I don't think one store associate ever believed me. I finally got the courage to go to a Lane Bryant and ask to try on clothes for myself...and the store associate darn near hugged me! I spent 100 dollars and walked off beaming! Most store don't care at all. Seriously. And most shoppers won't say anything, either out of fear or lack of care. Heck, after a while, you might get good enough they don't notice. Besides, if the store refuses to let you try on clothes, would you want to shop there anyway?

4. Keep a makeup journal. Especially if you're a part time crossdresser like me, keep a journal. Everytime you go to MAC or Macy's or wherever, take notes. Write down techniques, colors, whatever you need to remember how to do it. Heck, make it a scrap book and take photos. You'll be surprised what you forget.

5. Talk to people. I still suck at this, but seriously, talk to people. Ask the store associate how his day is going. Tell the mom standing next to you her baby is beautiful. If nothing else, simply pay someone a compliment. Nobody is going to scream "Oh my gosh you're a crossdresser!" if you pay them a compliment; in fact, they'll probably smile and you might just make their day.

6. Until you practice, plan out your time. I can now simply walk into my hotel room and in an hour become Jennifer, makeup and all. It was NOT that way for a while. Starting out, take your time. I tried to rush and I'd inevitably forget things, or look like crap and be self conscious, or not have a backup plan. It would make what should have been a fun evening very stressful. If you think you need an hour for makeup, give yourself more time so that you aren't rushed before dinner.

7. Don't forget the accessories. Crossdressing was all about skirts and dresses for me. After a while, I realized that if I wanted to pass out in town, I needed all the accessories: purse, scarf, jewelry, nails, lip balm and a sparkly headband. With these, I don't feel like a dude in a dress. Instead, I feel a lot more put together, and a lot less nervous. Don't forget pants too! I've fallen in love with yoga pants and girl jeans.

8. Talk to other crossdressers. This forum rocks for meeting people. You don't have to go out en femme. Some of the best dinners I've had are with fellow crossdressers while in guy mode. Just meet up for coffee, or lunch, or something small. You don't have to talk about crossdressing either (for most of us, it doesn't define us). It gets you out of the closet and helps you talk with others in your situation.

9. Do normal stuff. When I first started crossdressing, I met a girl that always wanted to go clubbing. It got old fast (and I was 25). Today I went to a quiet sushi restaurant and enjoyed the food in a nice top and maxi skirt, and I even caught the guy next to me checking out my cleavage. Dressing up for something like a club or a prom can be a blast, but often times it's the day to day stuff that I enjoy the most.

10. It goes as far as you want it to. There are always people who want to pressure you to do more, and there are others that will pressure you to do less. Ultimately, none of them are you. Don't ever feel like you are "just" a crossdresser. Nobody can make decisions for you on whether to get therapy, whether to tell your family, who to tell at work, or if you should take drugs, because frankly nobody else has to live your life. So decide where you want to go and go there, and don't fill other people's expectations.

And a bonus one...

11. Get a big sister. I consider John Warrener from tgfashions.com the closest thing I have to a big sister. I wish I was back in Massachusetts to be able to visit him again. If you can, find a big sister and meet up. Hang out. Do makeup together. Chat over coffee. Let that person help you. For all you know, you'll make a friend for life.

and a sparkly headband.
    Seriously?

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Great thread Jennifer! Number 4 taught me something new, since I rarely get to do makeup.

Jennifer
    Thanks for the post very good advice, we all wonder where this is taking us on the journey into dressing, I am lucky being 5'-3" with a uk size 6 shoes and a uk size 12 dress so even with 4" heels don't stand out in the crowd when I have been out a few times.
    The girl my Mother longed for trapped inside a boys body If she had only known I was there.

Hi Jennifer
    I found this post one of the most positive tHreads Ive read here. I'm going to try to make the list my CDing life guide,
    Thanks
    Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieAnne View Post
    Seriously?
    Heck yeah a sparkly headband! I'm getting a second one in pink...and with a bow...as soon as I find a store with one. I hate the thin bands, they don't hold my hair back.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Jennifer very well thought out and some great advice thanks for taking the time.

Wooooowww !!! You really make my day! I'm very thankful for you post, you're amazing! !!😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😘
    Thank you, thank you 💋💋💋
    Il n'y a rien qui vous rend plus heureux que la liberté d'être vous-même et être honnête avec vous aussi.

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieAnne View Post
    Seriously?
    Why not? I have blingy barrettes in various shapes. Things like this do add to one's presentation!

Jennifer, thank you for a positive and well-thought-out post. I found myself nodding to myself as I read each part of it!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Nominee for Best Post of the Year!

If I had a #0 before the others it would be Don't Wait. It took me a long, long time to get over the fear and the guilt and the hiding, tiny baby step by tiny baby step at a time. If I knew then what I know now I would have had some years of youth added to my enjoyment of my sunset years.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Excellent post

Banned Read only
    I wouldn't get arrested and thrown in jail for dressing as a girl!

Daniella Argento
    What a lovely post.
    Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you, Jennifer!
    "Normal is just an illusion, what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Addams

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Nominee for Best Post of the Year!

If I had a #0 before the others it would be Don't Wait. It took me a long, long time to get over the fear and the guilt and the hiding, tiny baby step by tiny baby step at a time. If I knew then what I know now I would have had some years of youth added to my enjoyment of my sunset years.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    I agree! This is a great list and we should all think about Jennifer's points. And I would vote for Barb's #0 too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Your list is dead on, thanks for posting it.

Nice list Jennifer...

We probably should all have something similar that covers the generic guidelines, and most of yours would be the same as mine, but I think we do need to remember that not everyone aspires to or needs to adopt 'full emulation' mode... So I think your #10 is the most important and only universal truth and should be top, front and centre...

And I was surprised you didn't include: "Never, ever believe that acetone with vitamins is a beverage..."

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I love it Jennifer the only thing I would add is,

#11 relax, be confident and enjoy yourself if going out.

I know when I started to relax my confidence grew. Nothing gives you away more than being all nervous.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Platinum Member
    Hi Jenn, We need to have this included in the Crossdressers Handbook .
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar
    I agree with Blue Orchid, but the article might have a tendency to
    cloud the eyes of the reader with a little bit of pink fog
    Although your current visions might be grounded in reality,
    there are no shortcuts to get from here to there.
    Face the facts and realize that you still may have to manifest this
    dream the old-fashioned way: by creating a concrete plan,
    putting in the hard work and maintaining an
    unwavering determination to make it happen.

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    VERY helpful, Jenn! Thank You!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Thanks Jenn, great post.

May I add the one thing that I wish I'd known sooner?

Crossdressing is not a BAD thing.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Thanks so much Jennifer. Your list should help out a lot of us that aren't that experienced.

3. When you shop, say it's for you. I struggled with this. I always used to lie and say "Oh, it's for my wife." Thinking back, I don't think one store associate ever believed me. I finally got the courage to go to a Lane Bryant and ask to try on clothes for myself...and the store associate darn near hugged me! I spent 100 dollars and walked off beaming! Most store don't care at all. Seriously. And most shoppers won't say anything, either out of fear or lack of care. Heck, after a while, you might get good enough they don't notice. Besides, if the store refuses to let you try on clothes, would you want to shop there anyway?
    5. Talk to people. I still suck at this, but seriously, talk to people. Ask the store associate how his day is going. Tell the mom standing next to you her baby is beautiful. If nothing else, simply pay someone a compliment. Nobody is going to scream "Oh my gosh you're a crossdresser!" if you pay them a compliment; in fact, they'll probably smile and you might just make their day.
    I'm assuming that #3 you're shopping in guy mode, but in #5 you're in fem mode. I've never shopped en femme, but either way it seems better to start a nice conversation with the SA. Many will think you're weird when they see you come back a few times buying more female clothing, so I've only admitted that I'm shopping for myself a couple of times. But if there's no dialog, there's a bigger chance they'll think negatively. For me, it's a difficult step to come clean.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Hi Martina, I am also lucky in that I am only 5`5" and can squeeze into size 7 shoes and boots. Skirts are usually a size 12, although dresses sometimes have to be a size 14. Coats that I have are generally a 14-16 depending on the style.
    I even wear a pair of stretch jeans which are a size 6, brand new brought for £1.75p. It is nice to be on the small side.

Julie.

Silver Member
    Fabulous "to do" list Jennifer, which matches up with being comfortable and confident in who you are, no matter how you present! Enjoy.