Standing in a shop doorway, sheltering from steady rain in a local town the other day, I was suddenly struck by the opportunity those conditions provided for closet CDers who are for whatever reason unable to go out dressed. I noticed almost all women wearing hooded waterproof coats or jackets. They scurried past with heads bent, trying to keep hair and make-up dry. Few faces could be seen. Some carried umbrellas as well - though the wind made that difficult.

It was when I saw a couple of younger women obviously quite smartly dressed but with only the hems of their skirts/dresses, their sheer black tights and their medium-heel shoes/boots trotting quickly along the pavement that it occurred to me that, for all anyone could tell, they could be crossdressers. I realised that even for me it should be possible to drive into tat town, fully dressed, park the car and emerge with my hood over my head,perhaps with an umbrella too, and walk around amongst other shoppers without any likelihood of being identified or even noticed.

Please don't tell me I should be brave and do it anyway: I know that there are many like me who for all sorts of reasons, never venture out dressed. Maybe a really wet day is all we need.