Thread: OK, so I'm recognizable...

OK, so I'm recognizable...

Funny occurrence yesterday.

Mimi and I were having lunch with Persephone and her spouse at California Chicken Cafe, a fast-ish food place.

It was fairly crowded but we got our order in and found a table.

I went to get drinks for Mimi and myself. As I was filling our cups a young-ish gentleman says to me "Are you going to the christmas concert at the Nethercutt? I said, "Why yes, how did you know?" He said "Oh, I remembered you from the silent movie there last month. You sat a couple of rows ahead of us."

Wow that event was 10 miles away, halfway across a valley inhabited by two million people! I guess I do stand out a bit!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Striking gals make an impression Eryn.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Eryn,
    A bonus there, he remembered you in a complimentary way.

I can agree you may be noticed more than some.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

see the world is not so big after all.
    you stand out because you are strikingly lady like

Such a pleasant fellow, sounds like someone who could be a Nethercutt friend
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    In the Duke's words, "U cast a tall shadow, maam".
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Being recognized in a friendly manner is wonderful, especially as a woman.

Platinum Member
    Tall attractive girls are memorable!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Eryn - nice engagement...

But perhaps this is the thought you've triggered: "Must make sure I get in front of her next time so that I can actually see the movie..."

Wear a big hat next time too - then even more will remember...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Striking gals make a lasting impression...
    Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

sounds like you may have and admirer
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Wear a big hat next time too - then even more will remember...
    Funny you mention that! Before the movie they show antique lantern slides, several of which illustrate the need for ladies to remove their hats. We've contemplated wearing large hats just so we would have something to remove!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I did have a quick discussion about the movies (wish I had more time) as it was something in my line of activities and the "remove your hats" and "No Smoking" slides have disappeared.

I am not sure about smoking in UK theatres these days.

It was still allowed the last time I looked.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Well, this is not a theater, but a large and opulent private living room of a cosmetics magnate. The movies was a restored silent version of the 1920s Phantom of the Opera and it was shown with a 1912 hand-cranked projector with Magic Lantern attachment. As I recall, the various slides were concerned with spitting on the floor ("If you expect to rate as a gentleman, don't expectorate on the floor"), assuring unaccompanied women that they may attend without being "bothered", and encouraging women to remove their hats. Here are some examples:
    Lantern+Slide+3.jpg

etiquette-2_0442012_150637.jpg

213e939d417c80c7663625c6ce984119.jpg

hats off.jpg
    Eryn

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Wow- must be a very long time since you visited a UK theatre!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Well, this is not a theater, but a large and opulent private living room of a cosmetics magnate. The movies was a restored silent version of the 1920s Phantom of the Opera and it was shown with a 1912 hand-cranked projector with Magic Lantern attachment. As I recall, the various slides were concerned with spitting on the floor ("If you expect to rate as a gentleman, don't expectorate on the floor"), assuring unaccompanied women that they may attend without being "bothered", and encouraging women to remove their hats. Here are some examples:
    Wow, Eryn! You really did some work in finding those exact slides! I always love how the organist plays loud "threatening" sounds when the "But You" slide appears. Yes, next movie night we really must wear large hats!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Just proves the saying once seen never forgotten

Isn't it great to be remembered? I love to watch silent movies when they are shown on TCM, and the Nethercutt sounds like a terrific idea. Wouldn't it be fun to go there in period dress? Aren't those slides wonderful?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post

It was still allowed the last time I looked.
    Nope Not any more!
    A cinema or theatre is both an "enclosed public space" and a "workplace" so no smoking except in a designated area or on stage if it's essential to the plot

This happens to us frequently. We live in a small town near other small towns, but still SAs, door-men/women, restaurant personnel, etc seem to remember us even if we have not been there in several months.

I don't know if I like to be remembered. The implication is that people remember us because there aren't many others like us around.
    Reine

I bet that is very fun and nostalgic. I wish there were more of the silent old movie nights or weeks, at older theaters, but not many are left like that. I could dig some old Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, Phantom of the Opera , with a real organist playing a big pipe organ for sound, and going dressed up, like you do. And a kind word from someone, too! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I don't know if I like to be remembered. The implication is that people remember us because there aren't many others like us around.
    I've had the same thought, but the people who have recognized me have always been very friendly and polite, never threatening in the least. The gentleman I referred to at the top of the thread was with a male friend and their clothing and manner suggested that they might possibly have been in the LGBT community in which case they might simply have been more aware of T folk than most.

I've found that being recognized goes with the territory. There aren't that many 5'14" women around, particularly in my age group.
    Eryn

They've always been friendly to us too. My concern was for people who wish to not be read, and so being recognized can be a disappointment because of the implications. As for acceptance, I don't think that service personnel care one way or the other. To them, we're just good business.

But, if you are recognized because of your height then it's another matter. Still, 5'14 isn't so bad. I feel for people who are 6'4 or taller. My SO and I are about the same height if I wear heels and she doesn't so I can't say that people recognize us because of our height.
    Reine