Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you not want to be girly as a guy?

Banned Read only
    It does not bother me to see men or women mixing it up. I think an employer has a right to dictate how an employee present himself or herself when representing a company. Me? What I wear is a projection of my mind set. Most of the time my mindset is male. It's regular men's jeans, tee shirts or casual shirt, sweat socks and athletic shoes, unshaven up to three days. When Stephanie wants to come out for whatever reason I want to feel as though I am a woman, then it is a pretty dress, hosiery, heels, proper undergarment and a wig. Both sides of my being do not wish to confuse the issue. It's either hot or cold, not both!

I think your views are a bit out of date here, there's nothing effeminate about wearing skinny jeans and a lot of my friends wear them. I have pairs of both mens and womens skinny jeans and when I'm wearing them I don't consider myself to be acting feminine or cross dressing, it's just what's in fashion at the minute. I have a bright purple pair of mens skinny jeans and nobody has made a comment or suspects I may be a cross dresser because they are completely standard for men, nobody has even commented on them. I personally think they look a lot better than normal jeans, feel better than normal jeans and girls prefer lads in them. The next time you see a band on the TV look at what they are wearing and the chances are they will be skinny jeans.

They're also more practical for gigs and nightclubs as you can feel your phone and wallet against your leg so you'd know if you lost either instantly.
    Last edited by Rhian; 11-28-2014 at 11:41 AM.

The mainstream department stores (such as JC Penny) sell skinny jeans in the men's department. They look great on my husband and he does not look girly or look like he's trying to "blur the lines". He has the body to pull off that style. I don't see anything wrong with macho men in skinny jeans.

Beverley...I don't want to 'hi-jack' this thread; however, ***Fashion Alert *** I would never wear skinny jeans with my cowboy boots...it just doesn't look right?
    WE are ALL children of The Universe...and YOU ALL have a right to be HERE
    Quotes, please see: Martin Luther King, Einstein, Aristotle, Plato, Deepak Chopra, Dalia Lama, Epicurus, chogyam Trungpa, tao te ching, The tao...to name a few.
    Paul Simon - "Under African Skies" & "I Know What I Know"
    Mia's 'One Rule' Rule: "My Life...My RULES!"
    NW-10

Not at all I were girl book cut jeans, cowgirl boots everyday, and most day in the winter girl sweaters. Every day I dress as my self, I don't want to be a girl, I am one.

I like to mix things up -- gender blend together. I don't think it makes me anymore or less feminine or masculine. Its just what I like to do.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    I'm probably a product of my age (51), but I'm either going to be all man or all woman. However, I think it's fantastic that others (particularly younger people) are blurring the gender lines with androgynous dressing -- it's definitely helping our cause.

I usually wear women's capri pants, a men's shirt, women's sandals, professionally pedicured bright red toenails, women's purse, and a feminine hairstyle as a feminine male. When folks see me, they know that I am playing for the girl's team. After all, women incorporate accessories from the men's side of the store all of the time and there are many articles in women's magazines that describe how to accessorize with men's clothing. I am proud to not to be part of the restrictive binary gender mindset. I am a Jane Girl which is the opposite of a Tom Boy.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I tried on a pair of men's skinny jeans. Let's just say the look is incongruous with my age and weight. Maybe I could wear women's skinnies or leggings enfemme, but not while presenting as my usual male self
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Heather_Shirly View Post
    I just don't see why anyone would want to wear skinny jeans to begin with!
    Just a wild guess...because they like them

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    Mix it up all you want. Heels look wonderful with a business suit.
    Would love to do that.
    Last edited by Katey888; 11-28-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit post to add to existing post rather than adding a successive post...

Been wearing girls jeans out quite a lot. No stitching on the pockets (GV)
    The only problem is that there is no room for all I have to carry and the purse would be
    a dead give away.

If that is how it made you feel then I think it is time to take a good long hard look in the mirror and reassess your own prejudices. We all need to do that every so often. Hell, I think I need to do it on a daily basis!

I definitely fall into the camp with those that stick to one or the other, at a time. I have no desire to be anything but masculine as a guy. Only when I dress do I want to be girly. I have no issue with anyone who likes to blur the line, though.

EDIT: Not long after the reveal, my SO said to me, "You know, it's pretty common for guys to wear jewelry nowadays, we could get you like a guy's necklace..." Yeah, that's not gonna cut it for me, hon.
    Last edited by Melanie Z; 11-28-2014 at 06:39 PM.

I'm not bothered by what other people wear. About the only exception I can think of would be a t-shirt with a racist or offensive slogan. But I definitely don't care about others' style.

As for myself: I usually wear women's jeans in guy mode; no-one has commented. In girl mode I do tend to prefer more feminine things like skirts and dresses rather than pants. I figure I spend all my guy time in pants, so I might was well wear pretty feminine things during girl time!

I don't really see a problem with guys wearing skinny jeans.

Whether or not we're crossdressing, or dressing normally. We wear what we want, when we want to!

(personally, I would never wear skinny jeans though -- unless I'm dressing up)

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    I'm either all guy or all girl ... would like to be the girl a little more often than I am able, but enjoy being a guy and feel no desire to blur the lines

I mix things up quite a bit in my day to day appearance, so it would be the height of hypocrisy for me to criticize anyone else for their gender-inappropriate style choices. But that's different from disliking the look of something just because it's stupid or ugly or doesn't fit right. Skinny jeans, or loose baggy ones for that matter, are made for a specific body type and work best on people who fall within the parameters they're designed for.

Actually, I kind of go out of my way to do business with the SAs who are dressed a little unconventionally, and I've been known to take a detour across the mall to greet and compliment someone who is wearing something interesting in a gender-unique way. I also relish the times I get comments on some of my own unusual fashion choices -- a woman at the hairdresser's Wednesday made sure to mention how much she liked my earrings, for example.

- Diane

When I see a guy expressing his feminine side while dressed as how our society dictates that guys should dress, I am a little envious and an equal part in awe. With all the narrow minds out there, it takes real huevos to be you when doing so doesn't fit the mold. I wish I had the courage and the sense of freedom these guys must have.

Cheers,

Jill
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

I thought it was probably a generational thing when I first saw this thread but I spoke to my a about it and he said him and friends wore skinny jeans when and had piercings when he was a lad; so I assume it's a cultural thing. I'm from Northern England and skinny jeans and piercings aren't considered effeminate, they're just a standard part of a young mans wardrobe. If you look on the River Island website there are more skinny jeans for men than the other types put together http://www.riverisland.com/men/jeans/_/N-7uq

I don't wear skinny jeans. At this time of year when it actually gets below 60 in Florida I wear tights. If it gets really cold I wear cropped and tight pants over the tights. I carry a purse because neither tights nor the pants or shorts I wear have pockets. Most women recognize I am wearing make up, lipstick, mascara etc. Probably a few men do too.

I'm not trying to dress male or female, really. I dress for myself and I wear what I find comfortable. As far as I can tell, even though I never see anyone, man or woman, who dresses quite the way I do. The way I dress does not cause much attention. It doesn't frighten the horses. The natives don't get restless. If people are curious about me they sometimes ask what I do for a living. Sometimes they compliment me, sometimes they frown, but mostly they care as much about the way I dress as I care about the way they dress. Which is very little.

It really isn't anybody else's business what I wear unless they are selling me clothes and sales assistants are the very last people who are going to criticise me for buying myself a blouse or a dress.

I read many threads here about the concerns forum members have about other people criticising them for wearing clothes usually worn by women, or outing them for wearing something that is purportedly gender inappropriate. This just is not something that is part of my experience. Because I read about it here I keep looking for it but it just doesn't seem to be part of my world. I am pretty puzzled that my experience is so different from what others have. It is true that I am not trying to present myself as a woman but concerns over the femininity of skinny jeans. Really? Nobody says anything to me when they surely must notice the shape of my bra under my tight blouses.

I am wired so linear when it comes to this topic. Guy goes in the guy bucket; girl goes in the girl bucket. No in between. I could perhaps train myself to process differently, but it would take a lot of effort.

Is it just the clothing or any thing considered femme? I myself wear bangle bracelets every day, everywhere, my long hair down and blowing free or some times collected in a hair clip in the back, and almost always with mascara and clear polished nails with a shiny top coat, next is getting my ears pierced and who knows what style earrings? of course under dressing (panties) every day and now wearing leggings under my "male" pants. I'm hoping to one day wear a skirt if the muse hits me.

hi , im a guitar player,been in lots of bands, my male role models were steve tyler , mick jagger and kieth richards and of course danid bowie so you can see where my style of dressing came from .lol hugs love lynda

I understand that somewhat weird initial feeling. It doesn't offend me at all. I personally don't want to be noticed for dressing or presenting in an obvious feminine way. But for others who do, ultimately it is about what makes them feel good.

I wonder too if sometimes when I get that mildly uncomfortable feeling seeing a guy making obvious attempts at feminine expression that I see how much it stands out.... or maybe I am not concealed as much as I want to be?

I have been wearing skinny jeans since the 70's. My wife even admits that my skinny jeans were what first attracted her to me.

I was really pleased with the advent of jeggings and the greater availability of skinny jeans in the stores. I had a couple of old pairs that needed retiring. Now instead of just denim blues skinny jeans I have some less unisex colours in my wardrobe.

What other people choose to think is their own business, but I have never noticed or received any adverse reactions to me wearing lipstick pink jeggings or burgundy skinny jeans, which I generally team up with converse shoes to match. On one occasion when I wore black ballet flats with skinny jeans I did notice a woman point them out to a girlfriend, but that was for the obviously femme shoes.

I see no problem with mixing and matching cloths that society may deem as specifically male or female, although personally I would not present as a man in a skirt or dress. On the rare occasion that I am able to go out in skirt or dress I like to try to be passable in heels, wig, make-up and breast forms. I know I don't pass, but I hope that people regard me as just another person, who happens to be transgendered.

BTW. I would never be seen in a Lush store with my wife, however I was presenting. She can't stand the overpowering aromas. Nor can I, so we try to give them a wide berth.
    Last edited by RachelPortugal; 12-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.