Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Thanksgiving Dinner Conversation...

The best of both Worlds! Paula_Femme's Avatar

Dangerous Thanksgiving Dinner Conversation...

My girlfriend and I went to her sisters for Thanksgiving dinner along with her extended family, Mother, nieces, nephews, grandkids etc, and there was one very funny incident at the dinner table.

My girlfriend's sister was talking about one of the kids, and how she loves dressing her Ken Doll in Barbies clothes, and said something like, “Looks like we might eventually have the first crossdresser in the family!” meaning she’ll be dressing her boyfriend in her clothes when she grows up!

My girlfriend and I were holding hands under the table, at which point she clenched my hand and damn-near broke my fingers! She turned to me and whispered, “Don’t you say a WORD!” as she choked-down a laugh!!! Her sister’s a bit strait-laced and we were laughing our asses off in the car as we were driving over, discussing her probable reaction if I’d walked into the gathering en femme!

Did anyone else get involved in any "dangerous" conversations over the remains of the turkey?!?!?!
    Black is ALWAYS the, "New Black!"
    "I really hate it when people accuse me of wearing Womens clothes... these aren't Womens clothes... I f*****g bought them!!!" Eddie Izzard.

No but I do sometimes feel awkward when I'm around any one talking about CDs and know what you felt. It's kind of a funny sick feeling inside especially if they are making fun of or telling a secret about someone we know that is a strange person because they like women's clothes. I usually just clam up and act like I could care less but it does bother me.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Doesn't sound too dangerous to me, Paula.

If your GF had asked u out loud, "Well, (your boy name), do u think he will be the first CD in the family?" THAT mite be dangerous.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Just a Cross Dresser Kacey Black.'s Avatar
    That is a great little story.

I've run into it at work while at lunch with them from time to time. I usually just sit there & smile... and raise an eyebrow mostly... as if to stare through them and think "If you only knew what you were talking about."

Now be off with you... business clown!

The best of both Worlds! Paula_Femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylyn View Post
    No but I do sometimes feel awkward when I'm around any one talking about CDs and know what you felt. It's kind of a funny sick feeling inside especially if they are making fun of or telling a secret about someone we know that is a strange person because they like women's clothes. I usually just clam up and act like I could care less but it does bother me.
    Actually I was tempted to reply to Sis with something along the lines of, "Hmm, sounds like you're looking forward to playing dress-up!" but the look on my girlfriends face said otherwise!
    Black is ALWAYS the, "New Black!"
    "I really hate it when people accuse me of wearing Womens clothes... these aren't Womens clothes... I f*****g bought them!!!" Eddie Izzard.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I've been in situations that were similar to some of those mentioned before. I try to hold back and not say anything; which can be difficult, but the other side would be to totally out yourself. Most outsiders have no clue, and it's not worth educating them, because of the backlash you could bring on yourself.
    Dana Ryan

Reminds me of the time a few years ago, for that National Night Out thing I was meeting with a bunch of neighbors from my condo. Some of the older ladies were talking about having to stop wearing mascara for some reason, and one of them asked when I was going to stop. I said, "why stop?" Got a good laugh, still wondered if she had seen me around, thought I had been careful.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Paula,

No dangerous conversations at my table but I loved your story.

Hugs

Isha

That's not a dangerous conversation, just something to work on and see how they squirm when you throw a few curved balls into the forum.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

lol poor ken!

Lucky Ken .! My dream would be for Barbie to dress me in her clothes.......just so afraid that they would not fit me.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    No "dangerous conversations" for me. I actually had Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of CD girlfriends and a fully transitioned lady. Beats the hell out of celebrating being thankful without being truthful for what you're actually thankful for!

Had several situations like this. The one that stands out, I went to lunch with a group of coworkers (usual Friday thing) this time it just happened to be me & 4 women, the other guys were busy. During lunch one brought up the fact that they had to buy their daughter her first bra. And everyone was going on & on about it, as a father I dread that day also, as Lacey I'm ok with it. Then they went on about remembering when they got their first bras, as a joke one looked at me and said "so when did you get your first one?". Then the group mom said "I always feel bad for "insert male name here We always get on these topics & he's just stuck with us" and then I made the comment "I have a wife & a V.S. card, the topic does not bother me". But there are soooo many different ways that I could have went with this, and kinda wanted to, but at this point I don't want to jeopardize my work life. But I do kinda wonder what the shock reaction would have been had I answered about my first.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    That was a great story and I'm glad your fingers are well enough that you could share it with us today. I didn't have any of those conversations this Thanksgiving, but every now and then something comes up that looks like a nice slow softball that needs to be hit out of the park. It is a measure of our restraint (for any number of reasons) that we don't hit more of them.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Reality Check
    I also feel awkward when the subject of crossdressing or sex change comes up, either in a conversation or on TV if others are around. It's not something I like to talk about.

Banned Read only
    Back in the days before transition I would have responded with sad puppy dog eyes and said, Gosh, Ken gets all the fun, nobody even offers to dress me up.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    my sister in law asked my wife (on the phone) what i wanted for Christmas.
    what i want is some boots from payless, and probably-not-too-surprising
    ...they ain't guys boots...lol

my wife told her that i just liked them and thought they'd be more comfortable.
    she's getting them for me. she didn't seem to think anything about it....

Jorja, you took the words right out of my mouth. I say things like that all the time to women and they think I'm kidding. Little do they know.

Merry Christmas to all and may our pantyhose be without runs and our girdles tight.

Whenever I find myself in a conversation regarding tg or gay subjects I always speak up and say something positive in support of people who are tg or gay. I am known by my friends as very liberal, but in every case my friends or family have immediately ceased any teasingly derogatory comments and instead switched to supportive or understanding terms. I guess I just have good people in my life.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Seems more and more, the trans subject comes up in the media and so in conversations. I try to strategically put in my two cents of support for us without revealing my personal stake in it. Recently and quite surprisingly, someone in my office came out as mtf so there were many conversations and much head scratching for awhile. Amazingly, she is a strong individual and everything seems to have settled nicely. One of these days I will start a thread on what her emergence means to the still-more-or-less closeted me.

Ah, nothing like the effects of tryptophan lol
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I would have just said "How do you know there isn't one already?" In a very camp voice, probably while smoothing an arched eyebrow and pouting my lips...

It wouldn't have happened that way at my GF family as they have seen me in a skirt before. I don't try to look like a woman, but I am quite comfortable now expressing what would normally called "feminine" traits.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

If that were me out with some female friends/co-workers, "I was 9 and it was my sisters".

I think that outing during a family gathering is a poor choice. It is something that should be done in a less charged environment. People's tensions are already a bit higher than normal and you can't (per Sun-Tzu) control the terrain and choose the fighting conditions.

Family events are for family.

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Good point. Educate the muggles. I am not sure if I would have the nerve. But maybe, "My roommate in college was a crossdresser. Fun guy, and he looked great in a dress."
    Or as sexygal suggested, "I look cute in the right dress. You should have seen me on Halloween, 2009!"