Thread: First Time Really Out! Yay!

First Time Really Out! Yay!

So I'm past 60 and have been really in the closet since I started dressing, although my SO knows and is really supportive. I went walking dark streets a couple times when I was younger, and had some skanky experiences. But, reading the stories here made me more and more interested..
    Last night, I got home from work early. I shaved again, including my hands and wrists. I put on a waist cincher, hip pads and breast forms, my nice purple suit, grabbed black patent heels, wig, jewelry, and headed out. I drove up to Arlington Heights and called Transformations by Rori: "Hi -- I'm outside, and dressed. Is it okay to come in?" On being assured it was, I finished myself off and got out of my car. Walked across Arlington Heights Road in wig, suit and heels right through the headlights.
    Rori was wonderful! She greeted me warmly, asked my femme name, and told me about the specials. When I expressed an interest in a new wig -- careful to explain that I wasn't ready to buy then -- she plopped me into the salon chair and tried on several looks, meanwhile explaining proper wig care and wearing. When I asked "How far away would someone have to be before I passed?" she laughed, then gave me hints on female deportment: "Be confident. Look people in the eye. Smile."
    After spending an hour as Cynthia, in public, interacting with (admittedly) friendly people, I headed back to my car and went home. I'm thinking of trying the Shabari conference next May. Maybe I'll make it to some of the Transformations parties first to build confidence.
    It was a wonderful experience. Any of you girls in or coming to the Chicago area or NW 'burbs should pop in to Rori's!

Daniella Argento
    Well done you!
    Glad you had a fun positive first experience!
    Not all go as well so you (and I) are among the lucky ones.
    Now that the bug has bit you will be unstoppable!

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Wow -- good for you! Rori's is practically in my backyard and I drive past the shop often, but I've never been inside. Being closeted makes dressing on my home turf problematic ...

I wish I had the confidence for that. Congratulations on a great experience!

Thanks for mentioning Shabari, I hadn't heard on that one before. Going to look into it. I had been eyeballing Southern Comfort to put on my bucket list.

***UPDATE***
    Just Googled Shabari....not what I thought! LOL
    Last edited by vixenvicki; 12-03-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Platinum Member
    That's wonderful. I am glad you finally allowed yourself the chance to get out. Is your wife open to accompanying you?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Good for you! Glad you had fun. And now you've opened the door a bit, eh?

Sounds like a great outing! I wish I had something like that closer to me. I'd definitely spend a lot there.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Good start. Make a CD girlfriend. Getting out is so much easier and way more fun when done together.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    That's so good to hear- congratulations!

Congrats Cynthia, nice outing. Hope you still have the smile on your face.
    Hugs

Gone to live my life
    Hi Cynthia . . . sounds like a first great outing into the Vanilla world. CONGRATS!

Oh BTW, looking people in the eye when out en femme . . . excellent advice. You will find that by doing so, people will normally smile back (if you are smiling) but more likely you will see just how many people truly do not look up and around at their surroundings.

Hugs

Isha

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    Hi Cynthia . . . sounds like a first great outing into the Vanilla world. CONGRATS!

Oh BTW, looking people in the eye when out en femme . . . excellent advice. You will find that by doing so, people will normally smile back (if you are smiling) but more likely you will see just how many people truly do not look up and around at their surroundings.

Hugs

Isha
    Yes, that is great advice, and it does work! Who was it who said "Look in eye, look in eye!" ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I went to Rory's a few years ago with my wife, it was a wonderful experience. Next time after you go to Rory's drive over to woodfield mall and walk thru the stores.

Sounds like a fun evening, glad you had a good time! :-)

Gold Member
    Yes, Rori is the best. You can park in the rear of the store, and they have a back door
    for you to enter. That way really no one will ever know you are there.
    They also have a get together once a month at a friendly bar about a block or two away from the store.
    Many of the girls come and sit and enjoy talking all night. I was there once, in DAB, and felt very
    welcomed. I did feel like a fish out of water, being I was not dressed, but I still need more confidence
    before I go out dressed.
    Rader

Good for you Cynthia,
    I was out and about Chicago a couple of times last week as well.
    People were so busy on Black Friday, I was getting maa'med all the time..... And not without reason.

Pretty dead over here though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thank you all for the supportive comments. Forgot to mention -- as I was leaving, Rori gave me a hug! (and a Frango Mint)

Congrats Cynthia. It will only get easier and more pleasant each time you do it.
    Hugs
    BobbiS

Awesome! Hope to do the same myself!

Aspiring Member
    This gives me hope I'm sixty and still in the closet but the door had creak open some. Last week I left here dressed as a woman including a wig and had makeup on. Before I got to where I was headed I lost the wig, earrings, heels, silicone inserts and woman's coat. Still had on woman's slacks and a woman's pull over top and my makeup but I had on my sun glasses, men's coat and gym shoes. Drop off a package that needed to mail back found a place and changed back into my heels, wig, earrings, put the silicone breast back in and change into my woman's coat and came back home. I desperately want to have a manicure done but have chicken out a number of times.

Congrats! I have been to Rori's twice, way before I even admitted the crossdressing to myself. The first time, I was a nervous wreck, simply looking around. The second time, completely undredressed in bra, panties, hose, slip and a cute necklace, I talked to her about breast forms. Being in the buy and purge mode, I was not going to make that type of investment, but here's the cool part. She was the first human I ever told my bra size and when she allowed me to try a set, the first person who I ever told I was wearing a bra. Still remember it. Funny, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, but I remember this encounter 10 years or so ago! Also been to Janet's Closet in Detroit, again an awkward look around by me. Now, I'd walk in and start trying dresses on. Too bad there aren't more of these welcoming places. Google "Transformations by Rori" and watch the little you-tube video about a recent news report about the place. You'll enjoy it.
    Last edited by Kandi Robbins; 12-07-2014 at 05:30 PM.