Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does this all cost?

How much does this all cost?

Another thing I am grappling with is the cost (financial, not cost of family, friends, etc.) of crossdressing. If I decide to move beyond the closet, there are the costs of better and more complete outfits, make-up, wig, outings, etc. Now I have a few pieces of clothing and a decent bra and panty collection, bought at discount stores and thrift shops. Less than a $100 investment right now, especially since I have stopped purging (at least for now).

My question is how much do you spend on our little hobby here annually? The question is not directed to those who dress full-time since this is their life, not a separate part of them living in both a male and female world? I am looking to understand what expenses are involved in occasional dressers who present fully when doing so. Many of the frequent contributors I have seen on many threads here recently are who I am asking. My male mind and role as a provider to my family requires me to consider this in my evolution.

Your comments are welcome and deeply appreciated!!!!!

Kandi

id say my collection is around about 8 grand
    been buying for about 6 years ,crazy i know
    the only time i go out is at carneval and my so knows
    her relatives might also have an idea ,they have seen me at said carneval so often
    and done up to the nines,also have a room with all on display

more than a dinghy: less than a yacht
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Kandi im new to this too and honestly i try not to think about how much ill be spending because ill be spending more than i should haha but if I see something that i like ill buy it because it will make me happy....and if i think i can look good in it...if you have to set a budget and work from there....

Izzy

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Each according to their means, no? Same as any hobby or passion- are you willing to ruin your and your family's future prospects for a shopping habit?

I've blown many thousands on lingerie alone, and although I've kidded myself that some of it was for various gg girlfriends, the reality is it was for me- I used to end up wearing most of it anyway

My problem is although I like occasionally browsing thrift stores and love a bargain, what really turns me on costs a lot of money.

I don't really distinguish between men's clothes and women's in that respect- what I want is expensive, and I've a sneaking suspicion that when I buy something expensive for male-me, it's actually Nikki pulling the strings.

Bad Nikki

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Oh I dunno, but not that much, in the grand scheme of things. The most expensive thing I've bought, by far is my wig (around $200 ... I know , I know ... totally cringed, buying it ... but good hair really is worth it). After that, makeup ... maybe $50/month on that (in a very busy month, typically a lot less). Forms are pretty cheap on amazon, though you can spend as much as you want to on them, for sure. I do have one really expensive dress that I spent way too much on ($98, but it fits like a glove and I really love it). But other than that, just hitting the clearance racks when out shopping ... usually score great outfits for 30 or 40 bucks (but all things considered, pretty infrequently, unless it's that brief sale bonanza between seasons, LOL ...)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Banned Read only
    I Googled the question of the amount women spend annually. The government survey indicates in 2007 the amount was $750. I probably spend a lot more than $750 annually. In November I spent $65 for undergarments and slips on eBay and all were new. I also bought some lovely dresses (5) which were gently used. None look like they were worn more than once or twice. The cost not including shipping for 5 dresses was $62. I bought five pairs of thigh high stockings @ $5.00 each. I bought on line from the Hanes discount site pantyhose in lots of four at reasonable prices. You need to shop around. In the undergarment department I would not spend too much money on colorful bras, panties and slips unless they are all special occasion. On eBay in new condition there are plenty of new offerings for basic white, black and nude/beige undergarments that will work well with any dress or skirt. If you're funds are limited I suggest putting the bulk of your money into outerwear, such as dresses, skirts and blouses. Nobody sees the undergarments unless you want them to see the finery. GG's don't understand spending a lot on unmentionables. Yes, an individual bra or shapewear may cost a lot because of the individual fit. Since I don't have breasts I don't have that problem. Get a good wig. Shoes should be comfortable. If I were to make a guess of my total expenditures, I'd say I'm over $8,000 easily.

It's not an "annual" thing for me.
    The initial expense seems huge to many, but just don't feel that you have to "keep up with the Jones' " to be yourself and enjoy your dressing.
    I'd say for a nice wardrobe to be able to go out say to a support group or just shopping would be about $1000 all inclusive. For myself I'm closer to $6000 right now since I have a few good wigs and 4 sets of forms not to mention all the lingerie, skirts, dresses, etc.
    It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality. You can find lots of nice things if you shop the sale/closeout racks at stores like Macy's and Lord & Taylor. I've gotten some really good buys that way and do most of my shopping from those racks. You don't have to have a closet full of clothes to feel you're "prepared". A few nice pieces can make many outfits if you mix and match. Separates are the best thing you can put in your wardrobe. Of course a nice dress fills a certain spot, but if your budget is limited then limit your wardrobe.
    One thing that helps is not purging. How many beautiful items we as a group have discarded over the years. So much waste. For myself and I'm sure many others, we've come to realize that this is lifelong, it's not short term and purging is senseless. This is not something we do ... it's part of who we are.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I think I spend $75-100 on clothing and makeup each month period plus $50 a month at the hair salon.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    ouch i dont even want to think about it....between makeup, clothing, and beauty products...i dont even want to take a guess...

Great question Kandi - I like Lori's answer so in similar vein my answer would be: less than I spend on wine...

But I - like you - am a great advocate of thrift stores/ charity shops, eBay and store sales... there will be some great bargains coming up post-party season in January and I am still searching for the ultimate LBD and I want, want, WANT a black evening gown...

But I know I am an occasional dresser and I am not a collector of apparel (weeeeellllll... perhaps boots... ) so my expenditure on consumables like makeup is relatively low. I also won't buy THE most expensive makeup (yeah, yeah - and anyone who says it shows is gonna feel one of my boot collection somewhere sensitive... ) but find that mid-range cosmetics are good enough for home. And I've been lucky with wigs too - again, sales are good but I would like to splurge on a good quality one soon.

I would estimate around $100-120 per month... I'm never gonna get my 10m Moody for that...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    How much do you have? Send it in.

I did as much as I could on a shoestring for many years using "borrowed" clothing, homemade breast forms and body shaping, thrift store wigs and clothing and dollar store cosmetics. In my opinion there is a lot positive to be said about a good quality wig and foundation cosmetics. The rest can be fit it as your budget permits and needs express themselves. Perfection is, for 99% of us, out of reach. So if you have your basic needs met you can work improvements in that will make you more comfortable and happy at a pace that fits your budget. Pink fog can be a budget killer, so be careful there and you should be just fine if you can be patient.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I would spend about 200 dollars on clothes and makeup. It would be good to buy things on bargan

I haven't sat down and worked it out. But probably more than I spend on my male wardrobe and toiletries, but less than I spend on some of my hobbies and other interests.

This has been helpful. I'm all over the place in my head all the way to how I stop to how I get to the level of many of you. I know this is the internet and as such, all is not what it appears to be, but I have come to admire how many of you appear to have managed similar circumstances. I am leaning toward how to do more, but less frequently, something like a big quarterly outing. That would give me the fun of planning my outfit and shopping to put it together over time. That said, the holidays are coming up and it's time for me to shut it all down until the new year with my daughters coming home. While I don't expect to spend a dime this week (I certainly hope not), I am going wig shopping (more like looking) tomorrow and getting a consultation for laser hair removal Wednesday on the shag rug that serves as a back. They're going to need a big laser. Should be fun!

That's an interesting question, Kandi. I started tracking my CD expenses in Quicken (as I do other expenses) 6 and 1/2 years ago when I moved from occasionally surrepticiously wearing lingerie to fuller, more open dressing. While I don't go all out and only dress at home in private, I have a decent selection of dresses, skirts, tops, panties, bras, forms, etc. No wigs, very little makeup, a very few jewelry items, some nail polish, lipstick. Total spent over 6 1/2 years is $3700 for a yearly average of $569. As with many activities, start-up costs were significantly higher than ongoing expenses, about $1200 the first year, only $253 the past year.

I'm a total deal shopper (cheap). Clearance items and killer sales in the stores, and we have a designer thrift shop in portland where I get high end stuff for pennies on the dollar. I've also taken to ordering off weird Chinese websites (slow shipping!) that have great prices, but can be a pain to deal with. My last order was supposed to have free expedited shipping via DHL, and they sent it USPS.. it's still not here two weeks later! They said it's because I hit the "free shipping" button, but the online receipt clearly shows DHL!! (They have some growing to do). But I got 6 items that would be over $30ea. (or more) here all for under $80. "Pink Queen apparel" (The name is a hilarious coincidence IMO!) and "Light in the Box". Order way bigger sizes than you might think because the women over there are petite!! Which, of course, means there's quite a bit of risk involved, but if a $12 dress doesn't fit.. I give it to the local CD shop, yes, that's a "thing" here!
    Makeup is not bad, many items last for many months. I do go through concealer and foundation pretty fast though.

Added: Spend what you can without sacrificing more important things, if your budget is low, make a game out of getting the cutest stuff for the lowest prices, it can be almost as fun as wearing it!
    Last edited by JessicaJHall; 12-08-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    CD? I'm never cross when dressed
    More like HF.. Happy Femulator. Julie's Flickr page
    Amateur/DIY Photos adjusted for exposure and white balance only, except to obscure background All rights reserved.

My answer would be as much as you are willing to spend and what you are trying to accomplish with your dressing. I'd guess not so much if you just want to go shopping en femme or just sit around like a fashion plate or just take "selfies". I'm a little rougher on my stuff than most, especially when engaged in all night dance-a-thons at the club. I've always been an action oriented person though.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Well fortunately I don't have a family to provide for (not counting my dogs) so I probably have a more fluid expense account. But I have found that a separate account for my femme needs helps to keep a budget, as to your answer over these many years I have spent in the thousands near to 5 digits. It varies yearly as things wear out and need to be replaced. Mix and match pieces are essential to a good wardrobe. Please do stop purging, I know it's hard but can be done, storage is the best way to go. As a guide line I have to go shoe shopping next week(I hope) and will try not to spend more than $400.oo , of course shoes last longer so it's an investment in my wardrobe, and I get to go shopping, something I've learned to love to do.

A lot of people spend large amounts of money on TAB. Tobacco and Beer.
    We all have our interests, I like going around the world and upsetting the natives.
    I held a European train up for five minutes today.
    Now that's an achievement.
    I might add here I had a train load of support as the only one upset was the guard trying to close the doors.

The rolling stock looked like it was taking the packed throng to Belsen.
    Back to the story, money spent on clothes is generally not all that much.
    Do you need designer boots when only you can see them?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Because I don't dress all that much I try to do it as cheap as possible, lot of clearances, thrift stores, discounted bundles and even some hand me downs. I've certainly spent a good amount on it over the years, but not enough to make any significant dent my finances. If I had unlimited money, I'd certainly spend a lot more though and I would likely spend a good amount more if I went out more often.

Platinum Member
    Good question. I would guess I spend upwards of $1000 on clothes and makeup. I'm no longer building g a wardrobe...more like sorting out and replacing mistakes. But I do think it's quite possible to manage on a fraction of that amount by shopping at thrift stores. And unless you have the disposable income, you can get by just fine on drug store cosmetics.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well it all depends on what you buy, where you buy it and what you do. I know girls that spend a lot and others that are really thrifty. That being said I will give you some information for myself but first a little background. I dress and go out about twice a week.
    I buy a lot of my clothes at Ross dress for less, Kohl’s, Sears, JC Pennies and Macy’s, the last three have pretty good clearance racks. I have never spent more than $35 on any one item. This year I have probably spent $500 on clothes and shoes but as I go out so much I needed more outfits, if you are not going out as much then you would need less.
    I do go to Diva Las Vegas each year and that cost me about $1,000 for the 10 days I am gone but this is my vacation I do. Going out again can have a wide range. I like to go to Starbuck’s for a couple hours to do work, blog and catch up on e-mails. This is an inexpensive way to spend a couple hours. 1 or 2 drinks $4 to $8. I also go out to a local bar with friends every Friday night and this depends on what you drink. I don’t like alcohol so I drink pop or water, the bar usually charges me for the first pop and then gives me free refills as they view me as the designated driver so my bill for a fun evening will be $20 or less including dinner and again I do not look at any of these going out as a cost associated with my being a crossdresser as it is just a night out with friends it has nothing to do with how I am dressed.
    Makeup is a cost that is also pretty constant. I do buy a good foundation MAC Studio Fix $28 a jar and go through about 2 of them a year going out twice a week and Diva Las Vegas, the rest of my makeup is drug store brands $5 to $10. All in all I would say over the last 5 years the stuff I have bought, clothes, shoes wigs and makeup I have averaged $400 to $500 a year but remember a lot depends on you, how much you go out and how many dresses, skirt, tops, shoes and wigs you want and once you have a good selection of clothes, shoes and wigs the cost will go down.
    Hope this helps
    Susan Miller
    Be happy with yourself first.
    Susan wordpress

I think it really depends on person to person, and it depends on how much you buy and what you buy. If you're a fetish dresser that buys a few pairs of stockings or panties a year, than maybe no more than $20 to $50.

If you dress fully with wig, breast forms, makeup, full wardrobe with shoes, it depends on how often you buy clothes not how often you actually dress. A good quality wig usually costs around $200, and a good quality pair of breast forms about $100 to $200. Bras, it depends on how many bras you use but you'd probably want to buy a pocket bra, and that can go from $20 to $40 per bra.

Clothes, it depends on how much, and where you buy from. If you buy from Ross, it's going to be way cheaper than buying from an online CDing store. Ross garments typically cost between $10 to $15 each, while CDing specialty store garments generally cost between $70 to $120 each. Garments from Target typically run around $15 to $25 each, while a mainstream store like Sears, JC Penney, or some comparable not-so-mainstream store like Steinmart, each garment goes from around $25 to $40. And if you really like to spend money than you can go to Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, or some holes in the wall in the mall, and buy garments that cost between $300 to $700 each, and where a "cheap" dress will cost around $150.

Shoes, it also depends on how many pairs of shoes and where you buy from. If you're fortunate enough to wear a size 11 or smaller you can get your shoes from Target or Ross, where each pair goes for around $20 to $35. CDing specialty stores shoes will cost about $70 to $120. Really expensive may see shoe prices upwards of $100 or $200 or even more. I'm sure there are shoes that cost over $1000 if you look in the right place.

Shopping online at Payless or Naturalizer online you will find size 12, 13, and maybe 14 shoes that cost between $70 to $130 per pair.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    There is some initial overhead that lasts a long time: breastforms, wigs, and the first set of heels and undergarments. That probably cost me $500. After that it's one outfit/heels at a time, and then the mixing and matching makes it even easier to add in smaller increments. The other ongoing expense is facial products and makeup, and that does cost a bit, probably $50-100 per month, depending on the condition of your skin and how obsessive you are about keeping it as good as possible.

Then, every now and again those major purchases need replacing (just bought a wig, for example).

Outside of that, it should be a wash. If you go out as a guy, going out as a girl is just the same going out.

But, it's not completely inexpensive if you dress fully.