Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many CDs are left-handed?

On a slightly different note but sort of related. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my right (non dominant) wrist early this year. After speaking to several people the same as me ie left handed with arthritis in the the right, it was a common thought of was it something accelerated by having to use ergonomic equipment designed for right handers! During my time in the construction industry I've used many pieces of equipment built and balanced with right handed people in mind.
    Where there is tea, there is hope.

Aspiring Member
    I for one am, save for the fact that I was forced to write and play the guitar right-handed. The latter being more for financial reasons than anything really.

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar
    right-handed, except I can eat with a fork left-handed, so I don't have to keep switching my knife and fork.

Lefty here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheStarlight View Post
    I for one am, save for the fact that I was forced to write and play the guitar right-handed. The latter being more for financial reasons than anything really.
    It's probably a good thing that you were 'forced' to play right-handed...a lot easier to find a guitar to play, or puchase, as opposed to having to play a left-handed guitar. I'm a lefty that plays right-handed, but it seemed to be a natural thing for me. I tried playing left-handed for while, but that was after starting out right-handed. I stuck with playing right-handed when it seemed easier.

I'm left handed.

Given the subject title of this thread it is likely that the majority of respondents will be left-handed - I believe it would be statistically unsafe to infer that the majority of CDers are therefore left-handed.

For the record I am left-handed, I am also a musician (although I only sing, don't play any instrument other the piano in a mediocre fashion). I love being left-handed but it can be a real pain at times in a world that has been set up for right-handed people. I recollect once going to a shop called "The Left Centre" in Ironbridge in the British Midlands; the guy who ran the shop was himself right-handed but he had got so exasperated at his left-handed daughter's problems that he decided to open a shop specifically directed at selling items designed for left-handed use... My wife, who is very much right-handed, couldn't cope with left-handed scissors but the funniest was watching her try to use a left-handed can opener. She worked out that it had to go on the left hand side of the can but insisted on still holding it in her left hand whilst then having to reach over that hand and everything else to try to turn the handle to operate the device - hilarious to watch.

It is good at Wagamama being left-handed - you can use the chopsticks in your left hand and the big wooden spoon for eating the soup in your right hand - a doddle!!! My right-handed wife has to put down her chopsticks in order to use the spoon because she is so unused to using her left hand for anything other than a fork.

My A-level physics class at school (way back in the late 1960s) was remarkable - 13 of us of whom 7 were left-handed... Did this have anything to do with Fleming's Left Hand Rule?

I was always totally floored by a left-handed colleague in one job - she swapped over the mouse buttons - I NEVER got used to that - I just use my middle finger for the left mouse button and my index finger for the right button - never been a problem - just part of learning to live as part of the down-trodden minority in a right-handed world.

Michelle

xxx

Proud lefty here. However, like some of the others I play guitar and swing a bat right-handed. Both just seem more natural to me.
    Last edited by JamieG; 12-11-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: fixed typo

I'm left handed - especially in "Fine Motor Skills" like eating, writing, painting, crocheting, knitting, and sewing. On the other hand I use my right hand for course motor skills, but I'm not that good at course motor skills like throwing a ball, swinging a bat or golf club. Tennis I play with both hands. Much easier than trying to play the back-hand :-)

I see an even more interesting trend in the responses, the ability to use BOTH hands, ambidexterity. This is a very rare skill and not many have it, yet in the responses here, it seems like a substantial number have that ability to use both hands, each in specialized ways.

I'm wondering if there is a relationship between how we view life as transgender and how we view life as lefties or ambies? As a left handed child, I would sit across from my parents and simply do what I saw them do, like a mirror. I did the same when I learned to knit and crochet. When I had to learn to write, I had to find a whole new way to learn. I had to find ways to adapt, moving the paper so that I wouldn't get pencil all over my hand. I even learned how to do mirror writing.

I didn't do much course motor skills until I was forced to play with boys, and I already took enough flack for being "different" so I tried to do what they did - badly. Thus I had to find a third way to learn.

It could be that Transgender and Left-handed, or ambiguity is more common because we are able to look at the world differently, we perceive the world differently, and we question things that most people think are axiomatic.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

I'm a lifelong southpaw and nobody has ever tried to change me. I learned to adapt to a right handed society out of necessity,but it never messed with my mind. In a pinch I could use my right hand for almost everything I do with my left hand.

IF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BRAIN CONTROLS THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BODY, THEN ONLY LEFT HANDED PEOPLE ARE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I'm generally right-handed, but for some unknown reason, I ALWAYS forget which hands I prefer knife and fork in. Both feels fine! Different, but totally normal either way.
    This miiiiight say something about my general outlook on life and gender, haha

I'm right handed, but my mother was left handed so it took me forever to learn how to tie my own shoes. I think I was seven. So I tie my shoes like a left handed person. There was a Columbo episode where he solved the crime by deducing that the murderer was left handed by the way he had tied the shoes on the body, I knew then I might be able to get away with murder. Hugs Jaymee
    Last edited by Jaymees22; 12-24-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

I am left handed
    I love being a girl

I am left handed however I do a lot of things right handed
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Left handed/ambidextrous. Do some things left and others right. Also left footed. I was wondering about this myself as a study I read is that this is also caused during pregnancy in the womb and could be related to different hormone levels to the baby.

I recently saw this bit of trivia, that all polar bears are left handed (left pawed). They all dress the same in white fur coats, what does this mean??? Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

I do some things left-handed (like count money), and some things right-handed (fencing, writing, guitar), but I also can operate my hands completely independently of each other, which makes my job as a mechanic quite interesting sometimes (not to mention the sexual possibilities, heh).

I identify as right-handed, but if I were to lose my right hand for some reason, I could adapt.

I'm a lefty for handwriting purposes only. Other than that, I do everything else right-handed.

I'm a lefty, have been all my life, except that I play golf and guitar righty. When I was a kid, left handed golf clubs were hard to come by.
    To play guitar lefty, you have to do it backwards, a la Paul McCartney.

My mother was a lefty too, but in her day being left-handed was thought to be abnormal, so the good nuns in school forced her to learn to write right-handed by tying her left hand behind her back.
    She had beautiful penmanship with either hand all her life, but today, a teacher would go to jail for doing that.

And I've never forgotten the old maxim: "The left side of the body is controlled by the right side of the brain. Thus, left-handed people are the only ones in their right minds."

Im right handed, but bat left handed!!

i was born left handed mom didnt like the way it looked so she forced me to change but now im even handed

Left handed !!

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    I'm confused when it comes to handedness. I write left handed, but am a right handed guitar player, and I also play all sports righthanded. Seems to me when I read through the responses there are a significant number who report at least partial left handedness. Nikki, will you do a tally at the end and give us results? Then we can move on to yet another poll about how many of us are guitar players (a lot!).

Im a south paw, but more anbidexterous (sp?).
    write, eat with left hand.
    shoot right in hockey and golf (although I putt left, weird), throw a baseball with my right hand and catch with left, but freesbie and football i throw with my left. lacrosse i was a left shot and baseball bat well i swung both ways (lol) quite easily and pissed the pitchers off in high school alot.

I'm a nighty.. for the most part.
    am i broke?

fran