Thread: South Side of Reality?

South Side of Reality?

Some of you know I made a recent trip back to my hometown to tell my youngest son and my brother I was transgender. It was a good trip filled with positive reactions and a lot of love and support from friends. My oldest sister showed up that I haven't seen or talked to in almost seven years. I wasn't going to go out of my way to tell her, but since she was there, I figured what the heck and went for it. Again a very positive reaction. She later sent me the following text.

"So given what you told me today thought you might be interested in knowing that until I introduced you as my brother Glen, my friend Donna thought you were a girl."

This absolutely made my day (and then some) because I have no delusions that I pass. Never have. I just want to be able to be me. You know? Live in peace and be allowed to exist without having to worry about getting mocked or beat up or worse. I don't think this is asking to much. But, who am I? I'm nobody.

I have been so blessed by the unconditional love and support I have received from my family and the few friends that now know that I have to wonder when it's all going to come crashing down. I'm usually a VERY positive person so this feeling is unsettling to me.

Am I really that lucky? Or, am I living on the the South Side of Reality? (Good name for book?)
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Platinum Member
    Perception is reality. You were in that instance perceived as a woman, so take it for what it is. Sure it may be an exception, but maybe also a sign of possibilities you haven't expected.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I like Kim's hypothesis on this one.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.