Thread: Anyone ever have to change their name?

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar

Anyone ever have to change their name?

I've just changed my girl name from Bridgette Ross to Isabella Ross. It's amazing how you get attached to a name! I loved Bridgette, but there was a compelling reason related to security that forced me to change. I initially chose Bridgette because I adore Brigitte Bardot, the French actress. My new name is also borrowed from a timeless beauty, this time to the great Isabella Rossellini, the gorgeous Italian actress who also represented Lancôme cosmetics for so many years (and don't worry...I know I'm not in the same league!). Anyhow, just curious if anyone else has ever done this...and felt sad about it.

I really cannot imagine giving up my first name - last name can be fluid but even that is tough and I have not really settled on a good middle name

I've been Jackie since I was a little kid, to several loving female relatives including my father's mistress. But lately I've been thinking of changing my name to Marilyn, or perhaps Margaret. My mom was Marguerite, known to all as Daisy, she once told me that if I had been born female, which she had anticipated throughout her pregnancy, I would have been Marilyn. So I don't feel any urgency about this, on the other hand as I spend more and more time en femme it continues te be something I think about. Lately, when I perform in drag (I do an occasional kind of standup in seedy Philadelphia bars) I bill myself as Jackie M. M. (my real surname).

I did. I never had given myself a name. So when I did I choose one based on a girl whom I admired her style. But my style changed and I had the opportunity to really look at mysc and figure out what name suited me best. Loving eatern European names the way I do. I kept coming back to Natasha as the name at the tip of my tongue. So after. Deep think about it and the image that came to mind when I sId the name. It fit. So I changed. Do I have any regret over the lother name? No. Not really.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I used to have another name years ago.....and now when I meet people I originally met years ago I say
    "You may remember me by my old stripper name...Crystal? ".........
    ohhh YEAH....I remember you now ( is usually the response") .....
    sometimes I think it is part of the growing process....or maybe I matured..
    ...nah..thats impossible.
    Do I regret changing it??? Not at all...
    I'm embarassed to admit that WAS my name at one point.

Yes, about three or four times. My present girl name, is one letter different, from a beautiful farm girl, that lived a mile from me. Did she ever blossom! I may change the handle again, in case someone sees me on Youtube, puts 2 and 2 together. Or, my brother does.

I picked my first name out of the blue when I created my yahoo acct many years ago, When my wife found out about me she asked to change it to a Gender neutral name, the female name made it too real. Lately I have been thinking of a different spelling of my given name, this is the name that I have lived with in the real world and says something about me that I don't want to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana Moretti View Post
    I used to have another name years ago.....and now when I meet people I originally met years ago I say
    "You may remember me by my old stripper name...Crystal? ".........
    ohhh YEAH....I remember you now ( is usually the response") .....
    sometimes I think it is part of the growing process....or maybe I matured..
    ...nah..thats impossible.
    Do I regret changing it??? Not at all...
    I'm embarassed to admit that WAS my name at one point.
    Ummm

Gone to live my life
    Hi Isabella,

Interesting question as I have been struggling with the very same question. When I first picked my name (on this forum) it was meant to be a place holder only . . . Isha means "woman" in Hebrew but I grew to like it. However as I go more mainstream with friends they tend to defer to my actual name as it is what they are used to. Some will correct and say "sorry I mean Isha" while others will just continue with my real name. Now my real name can actually go both ways with the addition of a simple "le" on the end (Marcelle vice Marcel) so it is not that big of a stretch. The only thing is I don't like my guy name all that much and I am not sure I want it as a "girl" name . . . although it would make going out that much easier.

I do like your new name by the way as I love Isabella . . . a classic beauty but how can you go wrong when you have Ingrid Bergman as a mother.

Hugs

Isha

I've had several names, Jennifer, Stephanie, and Melissa. Although none fit me. Until one day I was talking with my mom (she didn't know about my dressing at the time) and she told me what my girl name would have been. Kelli Jo-ann. Looks like I was going to be Kelly either way. So I got rid of the Y and replaced it with I.
    Btw, I hated my male name for years. I got picked on though out my childhood. But now I wouldn't change it for anything.

I've always had the name Rita, but I have picked up my mothers middle name Rita Mae

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Ha ha sorry Crys....it just was not for me particularly.........xoxo........ (inserts foot in mouth ) LOL
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 12-14-2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: foot

All good! I couldn't resist having fun with that one

Never had to do it myself, I have always had the name andit has stuck.
    I have a male persona and that is unlikely to change either. )
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    Unless people actually know you by your female name, it doesn't really matter what you call yourself. I would like for my wife to call me by a female name but she doesn't so only folks here know me as Krisi. It's easy to spell ans easy to type.