Thread: dress as a superhero.

Junior Member ashleymcculloch90's Avatar

dress as a superhero.

When I was a kid I would always be dressed as a superhero. Something that gave me the similar feeling as dressing as a girl. I still always wear batman t-shirts, because it comforts me. I think it's because like me they hide who they really are with a mask of a normal person (example; Bruce Wayne is Batman's mask) Has anyone else ever felt this way?

All the time Ashley. I have to keep my identity a secret so I can accomplish the most good.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Kara Zor-El
    I kind of feel that too when I watch superhero movies/shows fellow Hoosier! Though I lean more towards the Flash than Batman.

I kind of feel like an undercover agent when i have gone out dressed.

I think wearing a mask is pretty typical of people not just in crossdressing. I guess it kind of acts as a defense mechanism or it does for me at least.

I loved my Batman outfit... but probably not for the reason my mom thought. I loved it because it had tights.

When I go out now, I feel I'm unmasking my true self and that when I'm presenting as male I'm wearing a mask.

Its an interesting analogy.

The whole topic of masks is a huge can of worms. Sometimes I think part time girl me is just another layer of the mask. I often wonder if I stripped away all the masks (the shells and filters and restraints the acceptable and semi-acceptable expression) what would be left and would I be ok with it.
    I'm content being a once in a while girl.

Yeah, the body is a mask for the soul. My soul identity is a feminine angel. I'm sure angels are heroes.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Now THIS is a conversation I can get into!

Superheroes are, of course, a MASSIVE part of contemporary culture now. They've always been big, but now they are the single biggest force
    in entertainment culture. They are our modern day gods and their stories are our contemporary legends. We learn from them, aspire to be like them, celebrate their victories
    and learn ever more about ourselves and our world by exposing ourselves to their experiences. Superheroes speak to the core desires of humanity itself. To be different yet crave acceptance;
    to long to help and be of benefit to the world at large; to find our home; to know who we truly are and where our strengths and weaknesses lay; the ever present challenges of hiding elements of
    ourselves and the pure power at the core of our beings when we allow said hidden elements to prevail.

It speaks volumes about us as a culture (in the west) that our reigning champion of superheroism is Batman. He has no magical superpower. He is just a man of utter contradiction and a self-righteous
    desire to constantly do what he sees to be right. He is a two-sided coin, with each side desperately requiring the other to exist, yet constantly at war between the two. His life is a performance, but not
    one imposed by others, but by himself.

I know this feeling so very well, but I don't see it as a negative.

I am a superhero.

I feel empowered to have my two sided coin. When I am her, I am powerful, I am capable, I am able to change the world through simply being her.

And when I am him, I am still me, but simply a different me. No less important; in fact, utterly integral.

Both sides wear a mask out of necessity. But I am not hidden.

I am who I choose to be.

I will dress in strange and magnificent attire and perform acts of bravey

And the world will hate me and then celebrate me and hate me again and love me tomorrow and on and on and on
    and it will tear at me and elevate me and fill me with doubt and fill me with light.

And I will keep on doing it.

Because there are others who will see me do it.

And they will know the feeling.

And we will be legends, together.

What a battle cry!!!!!

I imagined an epic theme playing as you stand atop a heap of fallen enemies, smoke and disaster are your backdrop. Cape flowing wildly in the wind. Reciting your creed as a warning to those that still threaten the peace of your city.

i was bullied threw school so my superhero mask is superman.He is everything im not strong,courageous,and confidant.

This is our city Ashley

And don't think I'm not working on that epic theme as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyBouncy View Post
    This is our city Ashley

And don't think I'm not working on that epic theme as we speak

You are going to have to email me a copy if you record it!

Quote Originally Posted by ashleymcculloch90 View Post
    You are going to have to email me a copy if you record it!
    Oh I'll do you one better - I'll make the film and send you the link, haHA!

I think you and I are going to be friends...

I'm sure we are!

Send me a PM and I will give you my email
    Last edited by ashleymcculloch90; 12-16-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: hit reply to early

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Why would anyone want to wear a mask? They're so creepy! Also, I prefer villains!

IMG_4840 (527x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Bouncy, that was the best thing I've read in a while! I was going to quote from Confessions of a Mask, but that was much more uplifting!

And DocRobbys, between this and your other cosplay post, you're inspiring me to get some pictures taken...

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I would love to be a female Punisher.... Francine Castle lol!

I personally love Wonder Woman's outfit!
    "Love&Kisses"
    Michelle

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    One other thing about superhero masks is in most cases they eventually either fall away or are snatched by someone close to the hero. There are consequences, some good and others bad, that must be paid when that happens. Loved ones may be threatened by this new information, enemies may be empowered, suspicions confirmed and more questions to be asked. The biggest question is always about trust, never about intent. Be careful my fellow supers, the mask is a powerful item.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Last weekend I went on a road trip to Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, one of the things that I found there were Super Hero’s. I was told they make $400.00 a day having their pictures taken with tourists. That’s Hollywood.

On a similar note, I was in rural Utah where I overheard a conversation between a small boy ( 5ish) and his dad. The dad asked his son which super hero he wanted to be for Halloween. The boy, without missing a beat, said Wonder Woman. The silence after that was deafening.