Thread: Ever been mistaken for a woman while dressed as a man?

Ever been mistaken for a woman while dressed as a man?

I've thought back on this more than once. Last year, while walking on the Vegas strip, one of the guys standing on the sidewalk soliciting donations said something like "hello ma'am" to me. I was wearing men's clothes, and, to the best of my knowledge, exhibiting no external female characteristics. I shot him an icy stare, and he said "sorry -- I meant sir."

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Do you think it was just an odd coincidence?
    Last edited by CarolDonna; 01-29-2006 at 03:03 PM.

It happened to me just a few days ago. I was grocery shopping, and a store clerk "ma'amed" me. He corrected himself and apologized, and to me it was no problem. I was fully dressed in male clothing, so there was nothing that would have directly indicated anything female about me. Yet this wasn't the first time, and hopefully won't be the last.

(It's the same store that asked for an ID last November when I was buying beer. I'm 48. I love that store.)
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

LOL -- I think I would have wanted to thank him! No, it's never happened to me, but I do get a few looks.

Aspiring Member
    Its happened to me twice - and both times when I was at work. The first time I had my back to the couple and my hair was almost as long as in my avi then! I felt a tap on my shoulder and heard a voice say "excuse me miss", I turned round (i had two days growth of stubble at the time! - i hate shaving!) and the wife said "oh I'm sorry". "Not a problem" said I

The second time a lady and her child came up to me, I still had the long hair, but was facing them, the mother said "give the item to the lady", I took it from the child and said "thanks" in my obviously male voice, the mother looked again, and like the other lady said "sorry". I just said, laughing, "it doesn't matter, happens all the time!".

A few times. Last time I was with family and it was at a market in Newcastle. The guy ma'amed me, then looked confused. A while back, I was groped from behind, together with a "excuse me luvvy" in a crowded bar.

I have my own long hair, now shoulder length. It was waist length for a while. However, I'm now using wigs due to the prominent bald patch

I've had it happen a few times when I had longer (chin-length) hair. One I remember the best was where I was standing in line to buy something, and someone behind me said "excuse me, maam?" I turned around and he was like "oh shi...!"

yeah kind of, this guy held the door for me, after a quick glance, he was polite enough to keep the door open even wheh he reslised i was a fella, its the eyebrows, hair and earings i think?? kisses tara, xxxx
    im just waiting for my own race to come to earth and take me to my home planet !!!!!!!!

Ma'am

Hi Girls,

Funny thing. I went to a Mexican resturaunt with a friend. I could never pass but I was fully drab. The waiter brings my drink and says MAAM! I was shocked because I had nothing but my long hair that was not overtly male. I kinda enjoyed it but was puzzled.

Patty

It's happened a few times and unlike many of you, my hair wasn't long. As one of you at least mentioned, I was extremely pleased. He apologized - I thought "You're so cute!"

I've never been mistaken for a woman in person, but my voice is unusual, its between a man's and a woman's so on the phone sometimes I get called maam or Mrs. In person its not a mistake someone is likely to make.

If I could only be so lucky. No one has mistaken me for anything but regular male self.
    Hail Satin!

No.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I remember two instances that this has happened to me:

The first was in our local supermarket. Marla and I were waiting at the end of a long line at the checkout. Not all of the registers were open. We were just starting wonder how long we would have to wait when a voice from behind us said “if you two ladies would like to come with me, I can serve you here”. They had opened another register and we were being called over. When this happened I froze. “surely they can’t be referring to me I thought” “Come on, that’s us” Marla said. I had been mistaken for a woman, as seen from the back. What was even weirder to me was that I have very little hair and what I do have is cropped really short. And yet the checker mistook me for a woman. I can only assume my head was obscured from her view and she identified me from only the size of my body (which is little), what I was wearing, (woman's cardigan and shorts) and my shaved legs and sandals. When we walked over to the checker she didn’t say a thing, she acted as though nothing had happened.

The second time we were shopping for some home improvement products at Home Dept. I was wearing a fairly girly t-shirt, women’s jeans and women’s white tennis shoes that had pale baby blue trim on them. We were looking at paint brushes and a woman behind us was struggling to get passed with her cart. She said "excuse me ladies". I turned around to look at her and she exclaimed to Marla "oh sorry, but it was his shoes!". I guess she was looking down because from the back I didn’t look that girly.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Red face Many times!

It has happened many times,a security guard once was staring at me and told me "afternoon ma am" and I was wearing regular male clothes.

It seems that my features are a bit girly....my hands are too small and my
    skin too soft.....and it happens a lot on the phone also.
    I am going to be the daughter that my mother never had!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't know about you girls, but I would welcome the thought that I look feminine while in male mode. Just means that it's easier to pass while in Fem.

It use to be a point of great embarrissment externally but internally of course great happiness when it would happen to me growing up.....and it happened alot.

the problem....

my looks. i was at my tallest 5'10 and weighed 120. i could eat and eat but i'd never gain a pound. I've always had alot of very feminine facial feature as well as my body type. My rear and thighs were always where the fat would go. My legs in general always had that look of a woman because i've never been hairy at all. I'm 32 and still never a hair on my chest. my arm hair is very little almost none and my leg hair at that time there was none. i would never need to shave. To make things worse(or better) i wore my hair long.

i'd dress like a total boy but still i'd get the who's that girl with you comment ALOT when hanging out with friends. My friends would make fun of the comments but were always cool because i acted like the alpha male around them.

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    I never would have thought it would happen in a million years while I didn't have a pretty wig on, but I was mistaken at a DSW a few weeks ago shopping with my GF. The sales girl in the aisle we were going down said "How are you ladies doing tonight?". I was definately taken aback but slightly flattered. I was wearing girls jeans, my girls winter coat, but everything else drab. No wig, no bra/breasts, etc. My hair was fluffy and longish (this was before I cut it late last week), but it was no where near shoulder length though.
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar

Mistaken identity

Yes as a kid I was mistaken for a girl by this older woman who belonged to a bicycle club that my dad and I used to ride with. Now adays I get mistaken for a woman when I am talking on the phone. Why can't I appear like I am percieved?

Little Dandelion
    It's happened to me a few times, but only from the back. (My long hair, probably).
    [SIZE="1"]"So you walk into this restaurant, strung out from the road
    And you feel the eyes upon you, as you're shaking off the cold
    You pretend it doesn't bother you, but you just want to explode

Yeah, most times you can't hear em talk, other times you can
    All the same old clichés... Is it woman? Is it man?
    And you always seem outnumbered, you don't dare make a stand
    Make your stand"

from "Turn The Page" -- Bob Seger[/SIZE]