Thread: Enquiry regarding bottom surgery in FTM

Enquiry regarding bottom surgery in FTM

Hi

I have a little enquiry. Unfortunately I know we unfortunately do not have a large number of FTM's on these forums for reasons that honestly are a little difficult to work out. Your out there somewhere!

Anyway, I have been reading that whilst the rate of "top surgery" (i.e. mastectomy) is really very high in FTM, the rate of "bottom surgery" (i.e. Phalloplasty) is actually fairly low. This is in itself a little curious as compared to "top surgery" for MTF, Mastectomy is a relatively higher morbidity procedure with a high complication rate. As opposed to "bottom surgery" where compared to MTF, Phalloplasty has a relatively low morbidity and extremely high functional outcome rate.

So my question is for an FTM, which surgery is most desirable? Top or Bottom. And Why? One could argue there are plenty of men out there with large "breasts" and Mastectomy is not necessarily required for "passing" as a man in the same way that one can argue BA is not necessary for an MTF to "pass" as a man. So is it social or more a body dysmorphia in the mirror thing??

Cheers

my thoughts -
    even the worst case of gynaecomastia is nowhere near the size of the average female breast.
    chest is visible to the world, crotch no one sees unless you let them. so passing is entirely dependent on chest.
    I'm pretty sure phalloplasty has much worse appearance/morbidity/function than the mtf vaginoplasty counterpart... massive forearm scar if you want a chance at decent semi-function
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 01-02-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: no need to quote the first post
    FTM TG, can be a bit blunt at times.

"The thing that upsets people is not what happens but what they think it means."

"It's sort of like crossing enemy lines, hoping not to get caught, and realizing that you are being looked at as one of their own... because you are."

Yeah, what Bruce said. It might not make sense to you, but the fact is Im much more self conscious about my top than my bottom.
    Last edited by Andy66; 01-01-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Hey,

Thanks Andy and Bruce. Don't worry, I do get it. And it is a really valid point about the forearm scarring for Phalloplasty (Can they take it from upper thigh that is less visible??). The Phalloplasties I've seen in journals certainly look pretty impressive. Let's just say if your worried about how they look in the gym showers, hell, I'd be impressed . As for function I'm not really sure. Most of the studies I've read seem to indicate a fairly high level of satisfaction with bottom surgery in FTMs as well as MTF but the respondent populations could be biased.

On a sort of follow up note and at risk of stepping over the line WRT forum policies, how important is sexual functionality for bottom surgery for you? Part of the reason I ask is because well, male sexual functionality is a BIG deal for most conventionally gendered men. Many (including a large number of GG's even on these forums) put that down to the influence of testosterone. Presumably then testosterone supplementation would engender a desire "good" male organ sexual functionality in FTM?? On the flip side, many MTF's are quite comfortable with the risk of reduced and even no sexual functionality following vaginoplasty provided they have the right "plumbing" and it looks "normal". Is it perhaps that MTF's gain improved sexual gratification from other areas e.g. breasts??

Please note that I have no intention to offend and obviously being MTF have only marginal understanding of the psychology of FTM so please forgive any offence that I may inadvertently cause.
    Last edited by Kate T; 01-01-2015 at 11:08 PM.

lets just say I have ways of pleasing a woman, regardless of the equipment I was born with.

I would say most desirable surgery for me would be to have bottom surgery. I feel that would make a ftm feel more like a man even if there are still breast. At least that would make me feel more of a man.