Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a bit depressed

a bit depressed

Does anyone else look at flickr and get depressed about how good other CD's look and how you wish you could look that good. I do

Heck, I get depressed just looking at some of the avatars here!

As one of those who will never be passable, just reading all of these 'first time out' posts make me envious.
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

Banned Read only
    It's all relative. And like Life in general, it's about doing the best with what you have to work with.

As Sheryl Crow said in "Soak Up The Sun":

It's not having what you want,
    It's wanting what you've got.

The other thing is, when you see someone else's photos, you don't know about the time, effort and sacrifices that went into what you see.

Aspiring Member
    I could allow myself to get very depressed just by looking in the mirror. Unfortunately many of us cannot easily transform into beautiful swans. Many of us are ugly ducklings as women IF we choose to see ouselves that way. I'm sure today with endless amounts of cash I could become a beautiful swan. But that's only a dream. I too envy many gals I see here who can easily blend in to society.

But here's a bright side. Even staying at home we can be who we are. And even better I've been to support group meetings where anyone is accepted just the way they are. I know one CD who is about 6'-6" with a large man's jaw who presents herself with poise in many public situations. She will boldly walk into a restaurant with friends probably with a thick-skinned attitude of, "Don't like what you see? Then don't look!" Even in drab, people have talked behind my back. Who cares? It only defines ther character to those around them.

Cheryl

All of the time.

Gold Member
    You do realize most of them probably don't look anywhere NEAR that good in real life right?
    It would be a case of, "What happened between the picture and real life?"
    Kind of like car shopping. Looks good in the pic but you see it real life and run into several, "Ohhh, hmm, that wasn't evident in the photo..."

Well like this - I used to go to beauty school with this one lady. In her "social media" pics, she looked like a model, I mean stunning! Like the kind of woman that would make you forget your own name.
    But in REAL life, she was pretty gross. It was her but she was usually stumbling around confused on drugs, and just didn't do herself up very well.
    I have seen a few TG who took awesome pics but then real life it was like, "Where is the lady in the photo?"

No need to feel jealous or depressed, a picture shows only the best possible image.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Ann Owens View Post
    I know one CD who is about 6'-6" with a large man's jaw who presents herself with poise in many public situations.

Cheryl
    Remember that RuPaul is 6'-4" barefoot...

Not at all. I'm at that point in my life where I'm at peace with who I am and what I've got.

Jodi

It is not a competition - you only need to please yourself

I know that I could never be as beautiful as they are so therefore it does not worry me.

I wouldn't say I get depressed. But I guess sometimes I feel a bit wistful. I'm not aiming to look beautiful, but I am aiming to pass. No-one seems to give me a second glance when I go out grocery shopping, to the library, or whatever as a woman but when I look in the mirror I still see a guy looking back at me.

I think it's perfectly normal human nature to want to improve and to be a little envious when you see people who apparently look so much better than you.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    And if you saw the other 200 pictures taken before getting 1 to post, things might not look quite so rosy. Be accepting of yourself and work on making that work for you in your situation.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Not really I realize that we are all looking for the best pics to post. The camera has a way of distorting reality. We may pass well in a fot but up close its not so easy. I often wish we could see the height and weight. Because we all know that can turn heads and make a perfect picture not a pleasant reality. It is similar to facebook where every one leads a perfect life with the perfect family.
    Truth is we all have our demons
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    I agree with you Bridget
    He have a big difference between 20 and 60 years old. We only try to do the best we can

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Not at all. Actually, the opposite!

I admire anyone who is lucky enuff, or makes the effort, to look good!

When I began dressing 17 years ago? I almost quit before I really got into it because of how I looked in the mirror!
    Out of despiration, I tried on a mask one Halloween and Sherry was born!
    When I wanted a sexier figure? 7 years ago I lost about 20 pounds. Now, I can NEVER go out and pass, but I'm very pleased with my images in mirror and pics!
    I know countless CD's that have done the same.

This is not a competition. U only have to please yourself. As men, u have learned to gage your rung on the ladder with others regarding looks, education, financial success, and lifestyle. And, to live with the results. If u aren't satisfied? U work harder until u r! Or, u can sit on your recliner and bitch about life.

I believe your girlie looks work the same way. If u really want to look good? U will keep working until u do! Or, at least until you're satisfied.
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 12-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    So true!
    Another thing is: if you feel uncomfortable about something with your look and you think you can do something about it, the DO IT and enjoy the process. That's my current situation There are girls here who look so awesome, all ages, not necessarily the younger ones, and I adore how they look and feel so happy for them. Also, remember that most of the pics on those pages are a bit photoshoped haha! Just love what you've got and enjoy the ride

Hugs!
    Gabriela
    ---

"Life can only be understood in reverse, but must be lived forwards" - S. Kierkegard.

Nope! not depressed but then again my use by date expired a long time ago.
    I have other dreams to live now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Not at all. I'm a realist who will never pass. That doesn't mean I don't admire the looks that some gurls can achieve but I'm pretty pleased with what I can achieve also. And that is what matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    You do realize most of them probably don't look anywhere NEAR that good in real life right?
    Came here to say this. It's not only that pictures show only the best possible image, many of them don't even show a real image. Cross-dressers use photoshop too.

I don't get depressed but I do wish I could look like my avatar again. Getting a bit older now and time isn't being kind

Not depressed ,I know that there are a lot pics of girls much younger and beautiful,but everything is on the feeling
    But as somebody said only some envious about the girls that go into the real world, something i wish !!!

Nacracat, you should not get depressed as you present as one who should be envied. You present most feminine & pretty. You should be proud of you. Peace, mel

my problem is not only I don't look like a female when i look in the mirror but when i look i would like to see a 25 year old female not a 65 year old female all i can do is dress like a am 25 and don't leave the house.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Honestly no I don't get depressed and in fact I admire those who work so hard to look as good as they do.
    I get more depressed when I can't dress lol.

Lots of good points here. My thoughts:

o In this age of digital technology you don't take one shot of a scene, you take eight. Click click click click click click click click. Then you choose the best one. Makes all the difference.

o In this age of digital technology you don't shoot one scene, you shoot twenty. Then you choose the best one. Makes all the difference.

o Lighting, angles and camera techniques make all the difference.

o Effective posing makes all the difference.

o Preparation makes all the difference. Your shots will look much better if you've had professional hair and makeup.

o If you're tall, you don't shoot standing up with others in the shot who are short.

o I photoshop pretty much all my photos for cropping and auto-improvement. And, in the interest of full information, I often wipe out my adam's apple.

o I've had a couple of professional boudoir shoots. They are heavily photoshopped, that's just part of the deal.

In summary, yes, that's me in the photos, and you would recognize me on the street from them Are they representative of what I look like? Sadly, no, they are greatest hits.

Hugs, Michelle