Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google insists CD means gay.

Aspiring Member

Google insists CD means gay.

I googled “crossdresser friendly places in Tucson and Phoenix.” Several pages immediately showed up suggesting gay bars, gay friendly places, where to meet gays, and so on. The word gay always in bold. Only one answer mentioned LBGT. Not a single answer mentioned crossdressing.

I am not prejudiced against anyone’s sexual preference. I am just disappointed that crossdressing still seems to instantly translate into a specific sexual orientation. I should think that by now the internet, so full of good information, would have accepted our own way of life. Short of yelling from the rooftops I am not sure what I can do about it.

End of little rant.

Ineke
    Last edited by Ineke Vashon; 01-01-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: grammar

ive used the search for local venues myself and never really noticed but your correct in your observation, but that being said that is usually where we feel the most comfortable when we do get together from what ive read here....i did see some transgender references in the paid ad section....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

While a CD person *CAN* be gay, that isn't the default position.

*Damn* Google
    Last edited by Katey888; 01-01-2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Avoiding the naughty word filter is not allowed for especially naughty words!
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

I'm afraid that's the cross we all must bear,(no pun intended) until we as a group can change public opinion it is one person at a time as we encounter the homo-phobic public. That is to say that not all CDers are straight but I believe we are the majority, I may be wrong, but we are all ambassadors when we are out and about.

It's not really google's fault. Most websites that have the keywords "Transgender" "crossdresser" also have "gay" as a keyword. We will always be associated with gay until we have our own exclusive venues. My google search had 'transgender' in the first five hits with the 4th and 5th on the list not containing the word gay at all.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sa=N&hl...ces+in+detroit
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

You asked for CD friendly places and gay bars are generally CD friendly. It's quite a leap of logic to say that Google therefor equates CD with gay.

How come you don't take it as a compliment?
    Last edited by LilSissyStevie; 01-01-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Don't blame Google for associating gay with crossdresser, all result are based on previous searches (by every one). It seems that the unique search string you used is associated with the word gay, if you would only search for "crossdresser friendly bar" the the word gat doesn't show up (at least on the first page. And if you really don't want the word gay to be used in your search then add "-gay" to your search string.

a computer program is never perfect
    do not label me for i am unique

Great responses. Searches can produce all kinds of anomalies. Gave my wife two orgasms last night. (bragging). I am definitely not gay.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I believe your post heading is misleading, Ineke.

I Googled: "Crossdressers definition". This is what Google said first: "Cross-dressers may begin wearing clothing associated with the opposite sex as children, using the clothes of a sibling, parent, or friend."

The top 5 definitions did not associate CDing with being gay!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    You asked for CD friendly places and gay bars are generally CD friendly. It's quite a leap of logic to say that Google therefor equates CD with gay.

How come you don't take it as a compliment?
    ha ha......well said.........but yeah....the majority of your friendly places are going to be gay friendly........you put the T in LGBT ....and thats ok...I put the B in there.... and from the sound of it Stevie puts the G in there..all we need is one more around here to put the L in and we are officially a lgbt forum
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 01-01-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    We will always be associated with gay until we have our own exclusive venues.
    I don't think that there will ever be a large number of "T" friendly venues, specifically for "T's". The best would be that these places help the newbies to going out in the real world gain enough confidence to go to regular main stream places such that "T" friendly means "everyone" friendly. The more we go out, the easier it gets for us and for those coming out behind us.

Fair rant... maybe.. but I'm not sure totally fair on Google as many (if not all) of those gay bars would be considered 'safe' or 'accepting' venues for CDers.

It continues to surprise me that some of us seem so concerned that if so many of us (a majority, in my estimation...) are bi- or heteroflexible, it badly reflects somehow, on 'normal', straight, crossdressing males..? Isn't that like passengers on a hijacked plane worrying about whether their luggage made it into the hold..? We surely have more important concerns...

This should be more about gaining some benefits from being part of a larger congregation (ie. All of LGBT) rather than just the 'T' alone...

Think about it like this: Just suppose that research did eventually confirm that the majority of the trans* population are of some other sexual orientation than completely hetero-normal males... Then it would be absolutely right and proper that we were a valid partner with the LGB community and those of us who still consider ourselves hetero will just have to accept that we happen to be a minority in this weird and wonderful condition. I don't see a problem with that - it doesn't change individuals; it only affects the overall statistics... Kind of like, hetero-male hairdressers... There definitively must be some, but they get stereotyped with the majority...

I am not ashamed that some of my best GFs here are not straight - and I would be proud to stand shoulder-pad to shoulder-pad with them anywhere I could...!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I tend to agree - being miscast as gay is not an issue is does not matter what people think my sexual orientation is

Banned Read only
    HEY, if were attracted to other cross dressers WERE NOT GAY. im personally just accepting IM ATTRACTED TO OTHERS LIKE US i dont put a lable on it anymore nor worrie about what general society may think.. we are good people and thats all people can ask and expect, dignity and respect

LGBT
    L-loving yourself and chosen one
    G-giving yourself
    B-being who you are
    T-taking time to be thankful for what we have.
    not to lessen what this means to anyone, but let's look at the person, not the title.

I think the two tend to be very closely linked, so they would show up on a lot of search results together. I don't find it all that offensive, as a straight CDer.

C'mon, everyone knows that everything Google says is true.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    This should be more about gaining some benefits from being part of a larger congregation (ie. All of LGBT) rather than just the 'T' alone...
    If only! - I have a horrible suspicion that the only people who are really interested in 'T' being part of the LGBT 'congregation' are us 'T' folks!

One of the thing that makes Google so good at searching is that it doesn't require precise definitions of that which you are searching. It can draw from contex. In this case the context is the wider LGBT community. If you don't want to see gay venues all you have to do is exclude them by including the string "-gay" (without the quotes) in your search terms.

While there may be a few LGB people who aren't happy with Ts being part of the community, the vast majority are happy that we support them as they support us. Remember the "Hang together or surely we will all hang separately" thing. I'm amazed that some people seem to be driven to create strife within a group that is supposed to support everyone.

The fact is that most gay venues are trans-friendly and I see no problem with their being included in a Google search. In fact, it would be mighty difficult to find a business that is trans-friendly that isn't tolerant of gays, nor would I want to patronize such a business.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    ..... If you don't want to see gay venues all you have to do is exclude them by including the string "-gay" (without the quotes) in your search terms.
    Eryn - I didn't know about -gay, tried it with the same search request and you are absolutely correct. Thanks for that tip.

Ineke

it is rather weird / annoying as a Straight CDer you'd have to tell your wife or GF or gals you might be interested in the idea of going to hang out at the ol gay bar!

what message does THAT send!

also I've had numerous bad experiences at so-called LGBT-friendly / gay friendly places... where some of the people? not so friendly!

bad vibes!

whether a gay bar on drag night in St. Paul, MN... The Gay 90s in The Mini Apple... and even the frickin CASTRO in SAN FRANCISCO

I mean when yr getting bad looks or comments or vibes in the GAY part of SAN FRAN ... something's wrong!

one gay guy felt it was his catty right to ask me Why the heck I was dressed up like a woman and to make it known he thought that was so ridiculous ... imagine if I had countered with asking him why he was into men and that I found THAT to be weird? ... that just wouldn't happen... but I should have just to one up him!

oh well!

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    THIS!

I too suspect the only reason the LGB crowd welcomes us under their umbrella, is to add another voting block and statistical numbers to further their agenda. Because often, I do not see the 'T' agenda furthered as often as I see the gay agenda furthered.
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

when it comes down to it I think most gay people are just as in the dark as the straight or mainstream world when it comes to CDers / the T

some maybe even more-so in terms of not wanting to be associated with THOSE TYPES!

and then you'd get gay drag queens down on us... and even some high and mighty TS gals who think we're weirdoze!

it never ends!

And I have wonderful gay friends who are very supportive and are perfectly comfortable being with me out in the world. I'm not going to paint them all with a brush of intolerance because of some imagined slight by a "gay drag queen."

Ever hear the phrase "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?" Even if certain members of the LGBT community aren't focused on our issues I'm not going to attack them. To do so is to play into the hands of those who hate us and would see us imprisoned for what we do.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

or often times... some NOT so imagined slight!

of HAND!