Thread: Oh crap! In the ER again!

Oh crap! In the ER again!

I was at work Tuesday and started having chest pains. I work for a doctor, so they quickly checked me and called an ambulance. I am not "out" at the office, tho I frequently underdress. Tuesday I wasn't, I was totally en drab. I did have my toenails a pretty pink.

Got to the ER, they started to strip me and I'm getting a little apprehensive about my toenails. My wife is there and tho she knows of my CD lifestyle, she is totally opposed. Anyway, they gave me a gown and allowed me to finish undressing myself. Whew! The (female) doctor came in and started her physical exam. Before I could stop her she whipped my blanket off my feet to take my ankle pulse and my pink toenails were there in all their full glory. Her eyes popped for a split second, she recovered my feet and after a few words left. Once alone my wife poor went ballistic. Later that afternoon she went to the local market for some remover and made me clean my toenails.

Just a side note, turned out one of my meds was screwing with my heart rhythm. All tests, labs and scans showed that my heart was pretty strong for my age.
    Last edited by VAWyman; 01-08-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    Victoria
    By the grace of God, I am what I am.

Glad to hear you're OK - that's the important part..

Must be hard for your wife... I can see how she must feel - but then again, pink toenails are quite on the low end of shockingly feminine for a male - no frilly knickers at least...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I hope that you are felling better now

It is good that the cause for your discomfort was found. Medical people are used to seeing patients in all kinds of situations; spouses, not so much. Assuming your wife is like many others, she was more concerned about her embarrassment than yours. Unfortunately, your experience is just a fact of life if one "under-dresses".
    Hugs, Carole

GG response

1st glad your ok

2nd unlike many other wives I'm comfortable with my husband doing whatever he likes in our home, however I would be a raging psycho if my husband embrassed me like that in public.

3rd I understand you don't have an excepting wife so you must hide things.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Sorry I scooted rite by the "toenail trauma" to get to the bottom line. That u r all rite.

Because, all of the dressing vanity/stress is relatively unimportant when it comes to ER visits that could mean life or death! I know the nails thing made u apprhensive and is a continuing source of conflict with your SO. I hope u work that out. But, I'm just happy u have plenty of time left for that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'm glad that you're okay. Lots of folks our age don't fare so well.

So... let me get the sequence right... You had chest pains and went to ER where you ended up on a bed, wearing a hospital gown. The doctor came in to begin an examination, and uncovered your toes. When the doctor left the room, your wife "went ballistic". Some time later, after tests were run, you were found to be healthy.

Is that about right?

At the time your toenails were discovered, you could have been very ill, and your wife was more concerned about the color of your toenails. Then, to make sure you were properly chastened, she made you remove the nail polish.

<sigh>

Best wishes
    MsVal

Quote Originally Posted by Amylou2014 View Post
    GG response
    2nd unlike many other wives I'm comfortable with my husband doing whatever he likes in our home, however I would be a raging psycho if my husband embarrassed me like that in public.
    As others have said, I am glad that you are OK. Those kinds of scares, not the painted toe nails one, are not nice. I agree with MsVal that a blow up in the hospital does not seem that your wife has her priorities in the right place.

As to the quote above, Amylou why do you think your husband is embarrassing you? He may embarrass himself, but you? We are all independent beings and do not give up that true independence when we marry. You are not responsible for what he does that may be embarrassing. You would only be embarrassing yourself as you show others that you are more concerned how you feel about that than how your husband may be health wise. Confusing, to say the least. I could understand you being mad at him if he painted his nails against some previous agreement not to.
    Last edited by Katey888; 01-08-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote box

Quote Originally Posted by MsVal View Post
    I'm glad that you're okay. Lots of folks our age don't fare so well.

So... let me get the sequence right... You had chest pains and went to ER where you ended up on a bed, wearing a hospital gown. The doctor came in to begin an examination, and uncovered your toes. When the doctor left the room, your wife "went ballistic". Some time later, after tests were run, you were found to be healthy.

Is that about right?

At the time your toenails were discovered, you could have been very ill, and your wife was more concerned about the color of your toenails. Then, to make sure you were properly chastened, she made you remove the nail polish.

<sigh>

Best wishes
    MsVal
    This comment mirrors my thoughts almost exactly. You might have been experiencing heart failure and this was what your wife seized upon? Unfrickingbelievably bad form on her part!

I'm glad it was just a scare. I had one like that last year. I can't even imagine my wife worrying about herself in a situation like that. Thanks for reminding me how incredibly fortunate I am.

Glad everything is good, you don't need nasty surprises like that.
    At least I have clean underwear on, even if it is frilly nylon.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Okay, got MY heart started again. Holy crap, you gave me a scare based upon the title !! So glad that you are okay. But ya, I too am conflicted about your wife's response. THAT was what she was worried about!?!

Stay well.

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Banned Read only
    What a strange story! Glad that it wasn't an ongoing problem.

Regarding the toenails, I would have asked to keep my socks on to keep warm. For me, that would be a true statement. With arthritis the extremities can chill off very quickly...

Glad to here you are OK. That's most important.

As for the toes, that is definitely something those of us who underdress (mine are usually painted, too) worry about. My loving and supportive wife would not care, but I would be embarrassed for certain.

Aspiring Member
    As many have said, your health is important; & the the diagnosis of the cause that required the trip to the ER was not serious - good news & relief. The doctor seemed professional upon revealing the toe nails ; & the public exposue was very limited.
    Hopefully your wife will realize that the reveal was not really all that bad - life will go on. And with time, may be you can share a laugh about it.
    Take good care.
    D Michele
    Michele

My wife would not care about the nail polish either as long as my health was the priority of the attending medical staff, for them to see my toes though they would have to look through the nylons covering them since I have to wear support stockings daily for vein issues.........

Like others have said it's not a big deal, actually it is quite normal these days for guy's to wear nail polish, so to the medical staff I am sure it was just another day at work.....yawn, who's next in line

Glad your going to be OK !

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I would have tries to keep the sox on. But, when all else fails, have my stand-by story. It has to do,with losing a bet. . . You can't see it in the pic, but my big toes also have a snowflake painted on them. The doc would take a couple of looks!
    Last edited by Brenda456; 01-08-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Add

Thanks for all the well wishes. I really do appreciate them from all of you.

Now to answer some of the questions, comments, etc. that you all have brought up....

I probably overstated my wife's reaction. She didn't make a scene, or get out of control, but she was seething none the less and made a comment that "this is just what [she] was afraid of" when she found that I had painted my nails. I could tell she was upset for several hours.

She was concerned about me in spite of her "embarrassment" for my lifestyle. When she came into the room with me they had pretty much stabilized me and the emergency was over. We were just waiting for some labs and to see the cardiologist. She is very sensitive and we have a lot of other issues going on in our family, e.g. one family member facing jail time, another fighting leukemia, an infant needing a liver transplant, etc. She is the mother to most of these people and takes it very personally. Sometimes I feel privileged that she feels safe enough with me to unload her frustrations. Gawd I love her so much.

And I did get booties fairly quickly after the initial display.

Again, thank you all for your well wishes. I wish I could give you all a hug.
    Last edited by VAWyman; 01-08-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    Victoria
    By the grace of God, I am what I am.

I don't think anybody buys the bet story... or I'm too paranoid!
    Glad to know you're fine now!
    I agree with the other girls... I would have felt horrible if my GF made me unpaint my toe nails. I mean, you've got the right to be yourself!

Glad to read that you are reasonably healthy. A "lead Line" like "In The ER Again", does not usually foretell good tidings.

As to your wife - I am inclined to "cut her a little slack". People do and say all sorts of things that seem untoward at the moment. when they are worried and under stress. And, I can understand to some extent, her feeling that your having painted toenails was somehow an indictment against her. Were I in her shoes, I'd probably feel embarrassed, too.

That said, I make a habit always, whether I have painted toenails or not, to request a pair of those little hospital footie thingies. My extremities - especially my tootsies - get cold easily, and take what seems like forever to warm up again.

Incidentally - I am curious - Does the VAW part of your user name stand for Veterans Against War? IF so, I am firmly in your camp. (I am not a combat vet though, so do not wish to belittle those who are by inserting myself among them unless invited.)
    Last edited by DorothyElizabeth; 01-08-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Glad to hear your ok. I guess things could be worse. You could've said my daughter/granddaughter painted my nails. You could've pulled that off. But if you would've had some panties or a bra on, that might've been rather hard. Nikki

I'm glad you're ok! That would make for a nerve racking day for sure!

You had your toes painted pink? Really? What were you thinking? ;-)

I usually paint mine red or blue, but my wife hasn't been around when I got caught by my doctors. She would have had conniption.

You really need to be more careful. You might give your wife a heart attack. ;-)

I hope you get that I'm pulling you leg.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I’m too glade that I are ok. I know, my wife was more than a little embarrassed by me she was quite mad. She does not accept this life style at all. One year ago I broke my leg on the job and was in the hospital for a week, actually I am lucky be alive. I do not underdress and at the time my toes were not painted, but I am completely shaven. The Hospital staff was great and I don’t think they treated me any different. So I know what you mean about your wife. Take care. Jean

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post

As to the quote above, Amylou why do you think your husband is embarrassing you? He may embarrass himself, but you? We are all independent beings and do not give up that true independence when we marry. You are not responsible for what he does that may be embarrassing. You would only be embarrassing yourself as you show others that you are more concerned how you feel about that than how your husband may be health wise. Confusing, to say the least. I could understand you being mad at him if he painted his nails against some previous agreement not to.
    Listen, my husband didn't tell me he was a Cder when we got married, so I had to adapt my WHOLE life around this. So yes, he would be embrassing me. Of corse you wouldn't understand because your a man, and you truly don't understand how a women feels.
    I am very supportive of everything my husband does <----- see picture. However I am supportive of what he does in OUR home, if I was not awear his toes were painted, I would be mad, if he would have told me before the doc came in then fine.....

Also, of corse I would be more worried about my husbands health first and the "freaking out" wouldn't happen till later at home..
    Last edited by Amylou2014; 01-09-2015 at 06:01 PM.