Thread: Last night was so stressful but didn't have to be

Last night was so stressful but didn't have to be

Last night I went to a fundraiser gala with 2 friends of mine. It was on a Sunday and started at 6pm. I found out that leaving my house at 5pm on a Sunday evening can be very hard because 4 of my neighbours were outside getting into their cars, shovelling driveways, heading out and whatever. Garage doors were open and everyone seemed to be outside when I was trying to leave. I eventually left my driveway quickly and headed downtown to the event...

I was to meet my 2 friends there that I'm very proud to be with at ANYTIME! They are both starting to transition MTF to full time. Anyway I was invited to this local beauty pageant fundraiser gala at a very formal restaurant for married women over 35+ years old. The tickets were 95.00 per person and a cheap glass of house wine was 18.00 so you get the idea, it was an expensive restaurant...

When I got up to the front door I wiped out the ice with my slick boots, I looked like a total ass.... Then I went into the restaurant to find my 2 friends and I saw the big news paper cameras for the contestants. It was at this point I started to shiver and REALLY felt like a fish out of water. I mean I'm ok with going out to a casual bar, pub or especially a gay club but this was a black tie event at a high end restaurant.
    I sat down with my 2 friends at a table of 10 and I felt like a MINORITY. Folks were looking at us all right. The fellow and his wife that sat next to me was an MLA in my province, another guy at our table was a staff sergeant in our city. Other folks attending were advisors to the ministry of safety and transportation, other former MLA's, business folks and big figures in our city. 45 mins into the event my one trans friend said to me, "good lord you look like you're going to have a baby." I said I know I'm having a hard time being here even though it is so nice. Everyone was nice to us and treated us with so much respect, I was impressed how accepting they all were. The night ended well at 10 pm and I went home but it sure was a new experience being away from the gay bars. Another step for me getting out in the real world....

Cheers

Launa

well from what i read you were close to giving yourself a heart attack from anxiety......the good thing is you should be very comfortable almost anywhere you go from now on.....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Congratulations Launa on an epic evening for you. I can only imagine how that must have felt being in that situation. At least you made it through the evening and have something to talk about in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Launa,

Congrats on weathering the storm and staying. You could have turned tail and ran but stayed the course and for that you should feel proud. Stepping outside our comfort zone is the surest way to grow in this thing we do and you have done just that.

Hugs

Isha

You survived and that's all that matters. Next time you'll have the courage to go out, because you know everything is going to be fine. Congrats! Wish I had your courage right now!
    I'm a girl when I feel like it

The fact you stuck it out, you did not turn and run, good for you, that was a true test, and you passed.

Well done Launa !! Cheers, to your "stick-to-itiveness". Remember, that which does not kill you, just really, really hurts.....no, wait....that's not it....

You know what I mean !!

This will make going out to a regular bar or restaurant a walk in the park now. We grow through experience, and you have just done an amazing thing. Kudos.

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...