I often read here that a typical night out means going to a gay bars. The assumption is that somehow, gay people will "understand" a cross dresser. Seems like a reasonable assumption on the surface, but then something in this string http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...-should-reply) stuck with me and caused me to question this assumption.

Within the thread above are a few other thread links and more than one gay cross dresser reported that their partner did not like the cross dressing. That some are in DADT situations. Now, THAT actually makes sense but surprised me nonetheless when I first read it. Why should there be any difference in a male or female partner with regards to acceptance of cross dressing?

So, my contention is that gay males are no more or less accepting of a cross dresser than the straights in non-gay bars. Perhaps the only real thing shared is both are minorities in the general public. Does this hypothesis make sense? Have cross dressers across the globe been finding refuge where there is really none?