Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting experience at the optometrist

Interesting experience at the optometrist

It has been a while since my SO and I had our eyes examined and got new glasses. Since we were both stumbling around like 2 of the three blind mice, it was decided that we would bite the bullet and get it done. After finding a decent special (2 pair for $99) we booked appointments and off we went. I should mention that this eye center was part of a Meijers store and right in the front of the store for all the looky loos to see. My male self has become somewhat of a curmudgeon of late and this day was no exception.

My SO went in to see the optometrist first so while she was in there I decided to browse the frame choices. Being as the deal was 2 for $99 I decided to get one men's frame and one ladies frame. While browsing the ladies section and trying a few on (again I was in drab) a twenty something gay man came over and seeming a bit perturbed said "Sir this is the ladies section". My reply was "Then I'm in the right place". He said "oh are you picking out some for your wife?" I replied "no, since this is a 2 for 1 sale I am getting one of each" while pointing at the ladies section and then the men's. It took a few seconds for it to sink in and then (sorry I have no better way to describe this) it was "flame on". The wall came down and I was suddenly dealing with a "fashionista" and not in a bad way. He hit me with terms like facial shape, eye set, Hair styles vs frames. We tried on frames of both types until he was satisfied with my choices. I have never had such a great experience buying glasses in my life. We never noticed that other customers were laughing at us nor did we care. It wasn't until after that one of the girls came over and told us, to which I replied "hey, we are what we are".

Everyone should be so accepting
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great story. It is fun and liberating when that happens. Good for you, and the "Flamers" have great style taste and ideas.

Such a great story, thanks for sharing it. Hope you and your SO enjoy your new specs.
    Hugs

I'd be more interested in finding an androgynous style, neither clearly male nor clearly female. Where does one look for those?
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

Charona, my last pair was rather androgynous. Often I would forget which ones I had on and it seemed no one noticed. I would recommend looking in the ladies section as I have seen many styles that could go either way. Conversely I have seen very few in the men's section.

Silver Member
    So you determined his sexual orientation by how? I guess he just figured you were gay too since you wear women's glasses. "Flameout'? "Flamers?" Let the hypocrites unite!!
    I guess you figure if you see a guy on a dress he must be a "Flamer" too?

And we complain about the lack of respect and tolerance.

how fun!

"Flame on" Love it!
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    So you determined his sexual orientation by how? I guess he just figured you were gay too since you wear women's glasses. "Flameout'? "Flamers?" Let the hypocrites unite!!

I think you are reading something into this that just isn't there. I have and I think demonstrated that I came away with the utmost respect for this young man and look forward to seeing him for the final fitting and adjustment phase. In addition I have contacted Meijers to let them know just how good a job he did. I realize that sometimes when I inject a little humor into my posts it can be misinterpreted. That being said before posting I ran this story by a friend of my SO (who is gay) and he had no issues with it what so ever.

Great story time for new glasses fir me this month too

While I was looking at men's frames, my wife pointed out that I drifted into the adjacent women's section according to the signs. Without those signs, who can tell? Men's frames may be generally larger, and there are some frames that are obviously feminine or masculine, but most look unisex to me. And so when I went out en femme, I wore my normal guy frames. I can assure you, it would have been WAY down the list on "Here's How I Know That's a Guy". haha

Thanks for sharing a fun story. I appreciate your humor.
    Keep warm, both in your dress and within your heart.
    Katie H. Marion

How can you say the guy was gay? That is a pretty big assumption to make.

Jodi

I recently shopped for glasses and had mixed experiences when browsing the women's section. In all cases, the SA told me that I was in that section, to which I replied "thank you". At one place, she told me three times.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    How can you say the guy was gay? That is a pretty big assumption to make.

Jodi
    No assumption was made. Just as we discussed my being TG the subject of his being gay also came up. Both of us were fine with it.

Sarah,

I regularly meet and get into great conversations with our gay and lesbian cousins. The term "flamer" is not disrespectful to all the ones that I have talked with. I even asked them if it was a derogatory term. I have no idea where they themselves came up with this term. I use it with respect and as I understand its meaning as a gay male who is very over the top in his femme mannerisms, the way they speak, mind set and sometimes how the present themselves with clothes and accessories. Do some find it derogatory? Yes, probably, just like some here do not like to be called a crossdresser, or transgender, or whatever.

Right on girl! I usually go out in guy mode, dressed in women's slacks, top. many times a bra & make-up.
    There might be people catching on and laughing, but its got to the point, I don't give a rat's arse!

As you say, "We are who we are".
    You want to wear a WHAT??

@shannon dragon ,
    right on !! and at 60 yrs young I am slowwwwwwwly not caring what people see me wear!! besides I find that those who would point you out etc, mostlikely have something bigger to hide and use us to steer attention away from them .
    hugs phylis anne

Great story. I wish that shopping for items of the opposite was just a widely accepted thing. I usually try to avoid people when I shop at all cost but maybe I should learn to give people the benefit of a doubt. I'm sure most of the time my fear of being judged is unwarranted.

Platinum Member
    Hi Michelle, I only wear reading glasses and I get feminine styles for a couple dollars.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

sounds like you had a good time. when I last got glasses the girl asked what I has looking for. I said one men's and one woman's.she was great .it is what I am wearing.

When I went to the optometrist, they were very busy so I just went looking for glasses on the women's side. It was also BOGO, so I got one with pink frames for Steffi and one with gray frames for the other me.

Last time I went to the ophthalmologist, I asked him about getting Latisse. With out blinking an eye, he put it in my chart that I could get Latisse. I understand that it's contraindicated i you have glaucoma.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 01-25-2015 at 12:28 AM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I agree with NicoleScott, post #11. I wish the difference between 'male' and 'woman' frames were more distinct. Any additional clue of female gender helps 'sell' the illusion if you are trying to pass.
    Who do I feel like today?

Silver Member
    I'm still not on board with how you wrote your tale. Not quite sure how, i want one of each gets someone to say "Great, your a crossdresser then and I'm gay???"

How about; I told him I'm a crossdresser, he TOLD me he was gay and he then eagerly helped me find a pair from the women's section. Also just because a term used within a group is acceptable it doesn't mean everyone should use it. There are many instances of this. I'm firmly in Jodi's camp.
    How did your wife participate in making the selections? Enjoy your glasses, maybe they will improve your vision better than you expect.

I'm still not on board with how you wrote your tale. Not quite sure how, i want one of each gets someone to say "Great, your a crossdresser then and I'm gay???"

How about; I told him I'm a crossdresser, he TOLD me he was gay and he then eagerly helped me find a pair from the women's section. Also just because a term used within a group is acceptable it doesn't mean everyone should use it. There are many instances of this. I'm firmly in Jodi's camp.
    How did your wife participate in making the selections? Enjoy your glasses, maybe they will improve your vision better than you expect.
    Sarah, I'm sorry but if this is what you worry about then all that is left to say is How sad for you.