Thread: CD day at school

CD day at school

Hi everyone, I saw this article. Some people said they thought this idea was offensive to the TG community...I think it's great though. What do you think?
    http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...dresswebo.html

Aspiring Member
    Well I think I would have to know more about what they really were rtying to do as far as what the message was that they were trying to get across. Then maybe i could decide what it was really all about. Let me know more alright. Thanks Suzy Ann!.

Tristen Cox

Yes mixed interpretations here, but I don't find it offensive. However those that made any parody of it ruined the example of how the rest wanted to be percieved.
    I simply found it interesting, but yeah I need to know more before deciding on the matter.

clarissa3d

wound to tight

ok lets jump in the way back machine ............. . . . . . . . . . . .

ok it is now 1972 I am living in Bonn Germany and the football players are all dressed in drag to support spirit day at school. and by no means is my brother a crossdresser!

it sounds like the zero tolerance again. Quick get them a asprin!!

The students' garb was distracting to education and disrespectful to transgender people, school officials said.

Cross-dressing students said their freedom of expression was violated and that the prohibition sent the wrong message to transgender students who may want to cross-dress regularly.

A liaison {?} to the gay and transgender community said there is "a fine line" between personal expression and parody.

"We're concerned that people are not encouraged to express themselves," said Sonya Rifkin, co-president of the Gay-Straight Alliance, sporting a handlebar mustache.
    I think that the only people entitled to comment definitively are the TG students themselves, but either they were all reluctant to step up, or they were the one group that the author didn’t want to talk to.

They are the ones who were there and could “read” the intentions surrounding it.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

my view

thats what i say. if the gay and transgender students feel like that they are being mocked at then yeah have those who are doing it change but if the students are doing it tastfully then there shouldn't be a problem. i didn't see the students so i wouldn't know but i also think that the school is very hipercritical. what if one of those students was a closet cd and this was only probubly the only time he could do it out in the open without any one saying anything to him. that dose not go well with me at all. :mad:
    the fallen angel of love, music, and vengence samanthael fell to earth and fell in love with jay and merged with him. she is him and he is her. they love their friends and their sisters.

Optimism

I'm going to view this one as good news. We can't be sure that the kids were endorsing or poking fun at TGs but, at least they are forcing the general populace to take notice of CDs. That in itself will make people take a closer look at it and they will begin to see that it's not as evil as most people perceive it to be. It shows people that a lot of other people that they think of as "normal" are or would choose to be CDs if the persecution were eliminated. It also shows that CDing is here to stay. In a way. it is a promotion for CDing, albeit a contraversial one, but most big social issues are surrounded by contraversy before they become accepted. The way to get CDing accepted is to get it out of the closet and into public view and these kids have taken a step in that direction. Because this incident happened at a school just serves to make it a "sensational" news story. It which will grab the attention of people and cause them to think more deeply on the subject and gets the activists on the move which, in turn, gets government involved. Then the gov has to decide what is discrimination and what is not. Discrimination issues, more often than not, result in new laws against that form of discrimination and that forces acceptance of, in this case, CDing.

In summary, these kinds of incidents could eventually bring about the acceptance that we all want.

Lawren

P.S. I'm not holding my breath while waitng for the change. Just hoping it comes soon.

I think that whether that was offensive or not would depend on how those students were behaving on the day, the report doesnt cover that in my opinion.

I'm Ashamed

I'm ashamed for 2 reasons. The first that the school would respond like that. Part 2 I'm ashamed to say that when I was in high school we had a Spirit week every year and my Freshman year we had a Crossdress day and I didn't dress. Small town life and I was dressing at home almost everyday, I was way too scared to expose that side of my life. I seen the reaction of the girls especially and told myself I would next year and as it went the way they rotate the different dress up days they didn't have a crossdress day until the year after I graduated.

JJ

I think that if infact the students were sincere about what they were trying to do then it sounds to me as if maybe the next generation of CD's will have an easier time of being accepted in the world than we have today. I have two children myself and if one of them wanted to dress as the opposite sex I would support him or her completely. Especially considering the fact that I am a cd myself but I would have to make sure that they knew in advance what they were getting themselves into so that they would be prepared for it and not be depressed or worse by the reaction of the general public for them trying to be theirselves.
    [SIZE=5]Be who you are not who others think you should be.
    May the Great Spirit Bless you in all things.[SIZE=2]
    My website: [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]http://360.yahoo.com/mrsanna_25
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2] The Be-All Website: http://www.be-all.org/
    The National Center for Transgender Equality http://www.nctequality.org/
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]