Thread: Very frustrated..Spironolactone off $4 program

The Mad Scientist

Exclamation Very frustrated..Spironolactone off $4 program

So I cruise in to my chosen (cough..not local) Wal-Mart and pick up my monthly HRT meds...

Low and behold the pharmacy tech is charging me $53 for my Spironolactone ALONE!

I questioned and they apparently removed it from the $4/mo program last week..

He tells me that if I am willing to take more lower dose pills (same dose) and get the MD to make up a new script, that he can fill that for about $26/mo.

Ugh....that changes a lot. Now I have to deal with mail order.....great.

Is that generic or brand name? With my insurance, mine is always just a $10 copay for generic.

The Mad Scientist
    Further research revealed that only a 1/4 dose of Spiro was on the $4 plan.
    In fact it was always on the plan....and they changed nothing with Spiro.
    Since the $4/month plan is limited to 30 pills per month ...more lower dose pills are not an option.

My Spiro dose was never on the $4/plan...jeesh

So..ultimately my insurance was kicking in the first two times and the co-pay was..$4 (hence my confusion)..

It's limited, however, to two fills before you have to do mail order or they stop paying..
    The no insurance price for my Spiro dose is $53.. (Snap fingers)

I guess the pharmacist was clueless. You think they can give you straight information.
    It is their JOB...ugh.

So, I get the dork award for the week. Sorry for the drama ladies..

Wendy, you go hand that Dork Award for the Week straight over to your clueless pharmacist. You were given false information!

Karen

I pay about $57 for mine. Except mines not generic. I have been told by every pharmacist that I have dealt with that they took the generic spiro off the market and you now have to pay full price for the non generic.

Gold Member
    pharmacists are always screwing up.
    When my mom was around and I would go to CVS for refills on her meds, there were constant problems.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I get my other meds through Walmart, but E and Spiro I get through the VA. Everything there is a flat eight dollars per prescription.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Most of the time when it's a flat 8 dollar fee there is insurance involved. My spiro was only 8 when had insurance. Now that I don't have insurance it's $57

The Mad Scientist
    Update:

I got the doc to call in the three meds I'm on, S, F, and (of course), E.
    The good news is that all my 90 day HRT supplies are.....ABSOLUTELY FREE..

Funny how it all works out...

Now if they don't get lost in the postal service and be delivered to my redneck neighbors by accident...