Thread: Surgery Wait Times

Gold Member

Surgery Wait Times

One of the things I have wondered about as some insurance companies started paying for transition related medical costs was how was the wait times going to be for GCS. For those in North America, there are four major surgeons and from there it goes down as far as experience and familiar names goes. So I have thought about how insurance jumping in could increase wait times or as a more unintended consequence, send people to more inexperienced surgeons because they will take the insurance and the person doesn't want to wait.

I decided it was time to plan and make my decision and be committed. After thinking through everything, I decided my final gate will be talking with my HRT provider who is also an OB/Gyn. She would know who does a quality job. She started right off recommending against anyone but the four well known ones. Then she said it was close, but she felt better with Dr Bowers work, so that is who I decided to go with. So off with the application and some impatience when my 3 day delivery sat for a week in Salt Lake City. But today I got called by Robin and have a date of July 27th, 2016. Eighteen months to the day. I knew this was coming as it was one of my exploratory questions.

So it leads me to think that many won't want to wait too long. The other option using insurance (that I am aware of) is that people would have to go to less experienced surgeons and we could see more potentially pop up. Which leaves me wondering if that is a good thing as we have shopped for the best and I wonder if that may be excessive, or if we will see more of us with post-op issues. I am a little concerned as this is very delicate surgery that requires special knowledge. For my part, I am also considered intersex, so that added another layer to the thought process. So I am willing to wait it out (easy enough to say now). I am on the cancellation list, so we can always see if I am lucky.

So what does everyone think about the future of surgery?

Unfortunately, the top four will not be practicing forever. Someone will have to move up to replace them, and they need to gain that experience somehow. It would be helpful if there was a scorecard available with all practicing surgeons listed, their abilities, successes and not quite successes listed. I would prefer having Marcie Bowers do my surgery, but in a year from now, when I'm ready to make that decision, she could be ready to retire, or God forbid, be unable to perform surgery. I would really like to see an up to date list of competent surgeons. Some may have excellent skills, but merely be unknown. Of course, if the insurance companies have their way, they'll send us to the cheapest, I'm sure.

Anyway, a very thought provoking post.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Understanding the complicated procedures that make up a complete GRS, they all started somewhere, as with every other doctor and surgeon. Since the procedure is rare compared to others, do you think that the top 4 would be willing to let their potential and future competition sit in or assist until they are "qualified"? Maybe they are already doing that? Could there be issues having it done by someone less experienced? Yes. But that could also happen to the most experienced. Any way we look at it, we still need more out there and the inexperienced and partially experienced need more hands on opportunities. In answer to your question, I think more will get into it, more will develop good experience and that there unfortunately, may be a few, hopefully rare, unsatisfied clients. I do not expect that the price will go down though.

Gold Member
    Dr Bowers had someone working with her for quite awhile. A recent post says she left to go back to an OB/Gyn practice. I guess she could always come back. But since she left, there is probably a good reason and a return wouldn't be expected.

There is a girl in my local support group who found a surgeon here at Johns Hopkins to do her surgery. I don't remember the doctor's name though.

Marci Bowers is my favorite! I have heard most all of the US surgeons talk over the last 6 years,and I like her way the best.There is a 16 month wait for her services and two girls signed up after her talk at First Event last weekend.I think she is worth the wait as I like what she offers and has the track record to back it up.

Silver Member
    I think we need more good surgeons and hopefully if insurance does start helping more quality surgeons will come along.

Congrats on getting a date set Sue I am sure there will be cancellations and the date will move up. The wait can be rough I find the days going by very slowly myself

Resist
    Hi Sue,

I highly recommend you meet the surgeon(s) before deciding upon who to use. I interviewed two of the four and went with someone other than Bowers after her interview.

If you want to hear about my experiences, feel free to shoot me a text. Theresa can give you my number.

Oregon Health Sciences (Portland Oregon) is starting up a new unit just for GRS, their purpose is to teach more surgeons how to perform those surgeries associated with GRS. Oregon Medicaid has specifically begun to allow those surgeries on their health plan, and even though there is no supply of doctors who do that surgery here in Oregon, ergo a new training is begun. No one knows for sure who will be the trainers and who will be the first to graduate from this training.

It is very likely the Dr. Metzler will be the trainer here since he is from Portland originally, he moved to AZ after some medical politics convinced him to make the move. Now that he has the support of the the premier Oregon hospital, he is the logical choice. Sorry Arizona.

So eventually the wait times will lessen.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Gold Member
    There is rumor about one learning in Salt Lake City, but those in the know are being good about not sharing the name yet. So it is pretty much a well kept secret. It would be ironic if it was at LDS Hospital but I suspect it is the University of Utah.

Simone, I may take you up on that. I went through all of their sites, talked with some locals who have surgery with them, and talked with my doctor. That made me comfortable but more information is never a bad thing.

Theresa, right now it feels like I can do it standing on my head because I spent so long getting here. But I know the day will come where it isn't close enough and the anxiety will increase. Maybe by the weekend. Right now my oldest daughter wants to be there and then have me stay at her place while recovering. So picking up on any cancellation will likely have that as a consideration. But I am doing this assuming that I can work a cancellation in. I hear there are too many, which is sad.