Thread: I finally came out to my parents

I finally came out to my parents

Finally! After more than 20 years! This was very hard, and even if the shock was strong, I am impressed by how fast they recovered.

A little bit of background: I have dysphoria since I'm 11. I am 33 now. At that time, I just wish I was one of the girls I was admiring so much at my middle school. Instead, I was being bullied and beaten up so bad by the guys (I was the intellectual type with glasses, no defense, and hanging out with the girls). That made me very scared of every guy. I did not tell my parents, both about the bullying and my admiration for girls. For the first one, I was scared they take action with the middle school, and the guys get their revenge, making things worse. And for the girls, I just felt like it was too weird to talk about it. At 13, I was feeling so bad I almost committed suicide. After my failed attempt, 6 hours of coma, 5 weeks at the hospital, I realized the mistake I made and how much life was important, thanks to my family.

When I try to date girls in my 20s, I felt very uncomfortable. I felt like I would not have been honest to them. Why? Because I would be with a girl just to be closer to what I wanted to be, rather than being the guy that the girl wanted to be with. So that made me single and virgin until now. 10 years ago, when I was 23, I started crossdressing daily. I was buying almost only satin clothes. That's what made me think I had a satin fetish (I saw lots of info online about that). But I realized I had no arousal from it, it only was relaxing me. I had no idea crossdressing was common, so I only thought I was doing something "pervert". So far I never told anyone, and particularly not my parents.

I discovered this forum about 3-4 years ago, and realized that it was much more common than I thought, and by then, I only had access to the MtF section, not the clothes or gallery sections. In the last few months, I took my CDing to another level: makeup, going out en femme multiple times, even interact with people outside. That is when I decided being a TG was the way to go, that's how I really felt inside. I came out to multiple people, in a very organized way, from the people I know the most, to people I see less often, and I came out to my sister three weeks ago. That feeling of freedom is amazing, and I got only positive feedback. I started to feel very depressed in the last two weeks when in drab. I went to see a gender therapist, and for her I had an obvious case of dysphoria. She approved my transition, and before she gives me the HRT letter, she wanted me to come out to my parents, as it was the last step before my new life. She gave me advices on how to talk to them, and next Friday I will talk about the discussion with my parents.

I asked my sister to be part of my talk to my parents on Skype (I am in the US, they are in France). Then I told them I had a big news for them. I had rehearsed that talk for at least 2 months, and I took notes so I don't forget anything when talking to them. I said to them what the therapist advised me to: "I am not asking for your permission, I have to tell you because I have to, I am only asking for your support. I am an adult, I have thought about that decision for many years and read a lot of documentation about the process and the consequences, I am now ready." That helped more than I thought. I spent two hours talking to them, but my father was looking down, saying nothing, but he was listening. My mother was looking in my direction, but I could tell she had tears. At the "end" of the discussion, I really insisted on the fact I loved them a lot, and I don't want things to change. They love their children a lot, and they wish for their happiness. I am now in a good situation overall (job in an LGBT friendly company, in an LGBT friendly city, good reputation at work and good job position, I bought a house, etc.), so this is the last piece of the puzzle to make me completely happy. One of the last sentence my father said was "we cannot change anything anyway, right?" My decision was already taken. And after telling how much I loved them, with the 3 of us crying all the tears we had, I left them for a moment, went to my bed, and cried for a good 15 minutes. During that time, my sister was trying to make them feel a bit better, but they were still under the shock.

My parents called me back 30 minutes later, and the first thing we talked about is my father's last sentence. The reason I told them after I took the decision was a strategy, and I followed the therapist's advice. If I did tell them earlier, as if I was asking for their permission, they would have obviously rejected it. They would have tried very hard to convince me to not take a "stupid" decision. And by finally taking the decision, it would have been as if I did not listen to them, building a bad communication, and probably fighting. That would have made things worse. So at the end, it is better to give a stronger shock, but preventing any potential fight. They have no control, they just have to deal with it.

And now, the good part. After another hour of talking, and really insisting on how it is for my own good and to be more honest with everyone, as I have no secret to hide anymore, we concluded with what scared me the most these many last years, was I going to lose them forever? We are really bonded together, we love each other very much, but I thought that decision was too much for them. At the end, they said "we still love you, and that will not change, we just want you to be happy". I was the one shocked! I still have much more to talk about to them, and the next couple of days or weeks will be critical, but the most important and scariest part is done, I did not lose my parents!! I am so happy!

I could not stay at home alone for the rest of the day, I had to go out. One of my friends I came out to accepted to see me as Karolyn in real life. We went to an Indian restaurant, then back to their place for more discussion and some board games. I felt so good, I passed one of the hardest obstacles of my life.

From now on, I think I will only have good news coming in the near future.

Gold Member
    Good for you Karolyn! It sounds like you are handling it very well. Our parents are surprising at times and in that, they really aren't. They love us and that is usually what matters in the end. It has to be tougher for you because of the distance, but it sounds like you handled it very well. Good luck and keep an even pace and things will have the best possibility for a positive outcome.

Congratulations and good luck. I have found my family to be an inspiring source of love and support along this journey. It has made it infinitely easier.

Karolyn,

I am so very happy for you. I can just imagine how your stomach must have been in knots!!! I am also so sad to hear of your time in school. It rips my heart out to think of a little boy getting bullied like you did. You have so much courage and you should be really proud of yourself as well. I sure do wish I could have joined you for the Indian food!!!! Keep up the great job!!!

xoxo

Tess

Good for you. Parents are the most difficult hurdle in our coming out. I'm glad yours are in your corner.

Karolyn, wow, Wow, WOW! I am so impressed and inspired by you. I am planning my own moment of truth with my family and have more than a little trepidation about how it will go (and I am closer to your parent's age than yours!). Your approach is very much aligned with what I was thinking I would do, and this story is so validating to me. You let them know this is not about seeking permission -- it is only about notifying them of the coming changes to their child's life (and in fact, there's really not much true change involved for us, as we've always been like this, except that now we will live life without the mask, without going through the persistent thought filter, or the persistent hesitation of giving away any sort of revealing tell). Letting them know that what is happening with you is going to happen no matter what they say, but we still want their love and support, as we love and support them.

This is powerful stuff, Karolyn, and seeing this now is incredibly helpful to me. Thank you for sharing this amazing life event. You've really helped me. I wish you all the best as you cross over the true path of your life (and I will be there with you on my own path). You are my hero for the day. Thank you!

A thousand smothering hugs,

Karen

Karolyn I can appreciate your position as I had a very similar experience with my parents. Like you I too face it whit much trepidation but like your parents they said," we love you and just want you to be happy". When they accepted me the rest of my siblings followed. Congratulations!!! I whish you only good things ahead.

Hugs
    Rachel
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Inspiring story that will help lots of girls.
    I am an Artist working in all Mediums including Sexy

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Such wonderful news, Karolyn!

Way to go Girl! Parents are the hardest to tell.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Karolyn,

Congratulations on coming out to your parents, and for beginning to live authentically. I can relate to a lot of things you said too.

Parents are usually the most difficult to tell, and we usually emotionally give them the most power. We feel that, even as self-supporting adults, that we need their approval for everything, and when they don't approve, we feel guilt and that we're going down the wrong path. My father said lots of stupid things to me. He told me that I was going down a "path of self-destruction", and that I should take testosterone and dating courses to learn how to date women as a man.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you need to talk
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Thanks everyone for your very kind words. I am still going through it, it is far from done, but so far I am very happy to be on the good side for my parents, and my friends are also very supportive, that helped a lot today.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen62 View Post
    I am so impressed and inspired by you. [...] Your approach is very much aligned with what I was thinking I would do, and this story is so validating to me. You let them know this is not about seeking permission -- it is only about notifying them of the coming changes to their child's life. [...] This is powerful stuff, Karolyn, and seeing this now is incredibly helpful to me. Thank you for sharing this amazing life event. You've really helped me. I wish you all the best as you cross over the true path of your life (and I will be there with you on my own path). You are my hero for the day. Thank you!
    Karen, thanks for the emotional post. That means a lot to me. I am really glad I can help you, and please keep us informed about how it goes for you. Good luck! This has been really hard to push myself doing it, and it was a very long period of hesitation, rehearsals, and ultimately, lots of fears to fight against, but it was worth it. Today I have had multiple people saying I was very lucky, as for some of them it took months just to be able to talk again to their parents.

I emailed my parents this morning, I was not ready yet to talk to them without being too emotional. I was asking for news. And after a few hours, my mother replied to me, and I was incredibly happy with the message. They are going through a hard time, but they are understanding. Here is the translation from French of her message, as close as I can from the original (some expressions are not easily translatable):

"Hi our loved one,
    thanks for your message. We are trying to recover but it is not easy.
    I think you are at work, so good luck!
    I think that, after a few days, we will feel better.
    I give you lots of kisses. We think a lot about you. We love you. Kisses, Mom."

Just translating that email gives tears to my eyes. So happy they didn't reject me.

After thinking a lot about my discussion with them, I think there is something very important that contributed to their understanding of the situation. I didn't want them to think it was a temporary, last minute, unreasonable decision (they asked me if I could have regret doing this transition). So I reminded them of events that happened in the past, up to 20 years ago, good and bad ones, so they could relate what happened to how I felt. I gave them multiple examples until the last time they came to the US in July 2014 to give me a visit.

I also gave them a lot of information on purpose, very quickly, too quickly. It probably felt like an information overload to them. My goal was to make them understand that I studied the topic a lot, that I gave lots of thoughts to it. They probably forgot a large part of it by now, but they know that there is a lot involved. That will help us discuss about those many topics in the future, in a calm way, and where I would like them to ask questions rather than me doing a monologue. That will help communication a lot I think.

So far, they don't know my girl name and they haven't seen any photo of me yet. I want them to take time and be ready first., because those two things will make them realize it is real, and not just a discussion.

Congratulations, Karolyn! Sounds like you planned well. And you have good family. Best wishes to all!